ScottCM

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope their Prices will be reasonably at the expo. NB was to expensive.

The put a serious mark up on all there products last year at the expo :thumbdown:

Can't tell you how pissed off I was.. And also not very good quality. But Muzino seems to be ok sofar.

They said in their statement that their cloths will be affordable...

Anybody here suffer from a stress fracture at the top of the femur?

Went to the doctor about an ongoing nagging ache in my hip area. She did x-rays and, hello, what is that hair line mark on the top of the femur.

Now I have to wait till 26 April to see a orthopedic guy to do an MRI so a closer look can be made.

OMTOM no1 coming up for me. Will be treating it as an LSD for IMSA in 2 weeks time.

I am way more scared of OMTOM's 56km. Maybe because the furthest I have ever ran is only 42.2km? 

In that case you have reason... LOL    Last year we had our biggest eye opener at Omtom, being in the same boat as you now.

Going out of Houtbay all systems shutted down, no matter how hard we wanted to go, there was just nothing.   When the 7 hour busses passed us on the way up on Constantia we accepted that this is it.   I accepted we won't make the cutoff, but I will finish the distance, even if it takes 8 hours. So we just continued to walk, as damm hard as even walk was.

On the other side of Constantia we got back into the swing of things and eventually passed both 7 hour busses on the way down and finished with more than enough to spare.

So my advice is, do not go out to fast the first 42, rather enjoy the scenery and hold back.   DO NOT go screaming down Chappies into Hout Bay.  And most importantly, KNOW that the HURT is going to come after Hout Bay. 

You will be taking your body into unknown distances and if you are prepared for what is going to come, just walk Constantia.  Stay positive and work through that phase, until you can go again.    We learned so much out of that experience, that since we now know what is going to come and how it feels, that we did not even feel as dead at Comrades as we did on this first outing past 42km.

Finishing our first Ultra under those circumstances was VERY special and this is a VERY special race. 

OMTOM no1 coming up for me. Will be treating it as an LSD for IMSA in 2 weeks time.

I am way more scared of OMTOM's 56km. Maybe because the furthest I have ever ran is only 42.2km? 

If you're taking it as an LSD you'll be absolutely fine over the extra 14km. Sore but fine. You triathletes tend to cope with discomfort pretty well in any case.

And talking of triathletes, I ran the Walter Sisulu over the weekend. There were two incredibly strong women ahead of me the whole way that absolutely smoked me up the hills. I generally treated the steep climbs as not worth running since I figured the marginal time gained wasn't worth the energy loss. This didn't stop the two women, though, who flew up them like Ibex. When I got to the end I introduced myself to one of the runners that thrashed me and she said her name was Kate Roberts. That's when the penny dropped. She was one of the triathletes at the Olympics or Commonwealth games in the mixed relay triathlon (that was such an entertaining race to watch). Lordy, she and Marianne Botes are brilliant runners. I've always felt I was pretty strong on the hills but geez I was shown how to do it properly on Sunday.

Edited by Barry Stuart

Tx everyone for the advice. 

The plan is to REALLY go slow. I can't do buses, so won't run with a bus from the start.

The plan is to do the 42km in 6m50s pace, leaving enough time to walk Constantia and enjoy the hurt in the last 14km.

Just a pity the two races are so close to each other. 

I'm with Barry. Last was my first and I went with the "there'l never be another first Oceans, let's enjoy it!" attitude. My buddy told me whatever you do, do NOT go hard in the first section. Have plenty left in the tank.

And true as nuts, I heeded his advise, cruised to Chappies, cruised up chappies, cruised down (as Barry also said! - if you're not used to running long downhills your quads and knee area will take a pounding you'll realise shortly afterwards...). Come Constantia neck, I walked occasionally. 

What is most likely going to catch you, as it did with me and most others, is the camber on one of the stretches of roads after that. It caused some cramp onsets on weird places for me, which caused me to walk at times after that to prevent cramps setting in. 

I made it to the finish, all smiles and quite confortable most of the way and really enjoyed the day out. (And in doing so passed a truckload of people from Chappies onwards who were on a very different space.)

So this is exactly what I plan to do again. Have fun, because that's what the day is about. 

Why do 2 ultra events in 2 weeks?

Sure it can be done, but why risk injury and making the 2 event harder than it is already?

I’d suggest choosing the one which is more important to you....

But I know you will ignore this...

???? good luck

Don't stress about the distance. If you have reached 42km you will be fine. The supporters carry you, especially in Houtbay and up Constantia. It is such a beautiful race, cannot wait until Saturday!

Why do 2 ultra events in 2 weeks?

Sure it can be done, but why risk injury and making the 2 event harder than it is already?

I’d suggest choosing the one which is more important to you....

But I know you will ignore this...

good luck

My main goal for this season was OMTOM, but while we were waiting the additional 2 months for entries to open my employer decided to sponsor me an entry into IMSA, so for the exact reasoning you stated , coupled with the fact that i have never done either event before i decided to concentrate solely on IMSA. 

So on another note, how awesome is that warm fuzzy feeling when you chase down and pass a cyclist on a climb, doesn't happen that often but there are certain sections of road which make it possible.

Had a guy who was clearly casually heading home from work on his bike yesterday and passed him, think I turned his commute into an impromptu hill sprint session...

Heads up everyone.. OneDayOnly is have a big sale on Brooks running shoes. Some discounted by as much as 42%! :thumbup: