ScottCM

Any feedback on the Old Eds race?

Things went pretty smooth from our side, but always keen to get input and see where we  can perhaps improve...

Looking forward to Wanderers, always nicer to be running  :thumbup:  Even if very slowly 

First time doing your event and was super impressed. will be back for sure  :thumbup:

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Things went pretty smooth from our side, but always keen to get input and see where we  can perhaps improve...

Looking forward to Wanderers, always nicer to be running  :thumbup:  Even if very slowly 

It was my first one. I enjoyed the race even though I suffered on the second lap. I am definitely not the distance fit as yet. 

Well organised race, marshals did an excellent job at some very busy intersections.

Traffic was a bit of a disaster before and after the race but that was expected. Maybe there can be marshals controlling the cars coming in and out of the venue?

Will definitely be back next year! 

Out of interest, do you know what the top guys strats were?

Speedier with more rest, or slow and steady and using the full hours... ?

Just did some strava stalking on Bennie Roux

So firstly looks like the laps were actually around 4.5kms for the runners (actually 4.45-4.54ish on average).

He has each lap as a separate workout which helps, started the first about 10 laps around 5.50-6min per km.... did a few slower ones in the night with slowest at 10min per km... then sped back up to 6s near the end and his last one at5.10per km.

Elevation per lap at 24m.

So most laps he was done just on 30mins with 30mins to rest before going again.

Pretty crazy endurance.. in a way a 10km lap every 2nd hour and an hour rest might make it slightly easier from a sleep deprivation point of view..

So firstly looks like the laps were actually around 4.5kms for the runners (actually 4.45-4.54ish on average).

He has each lap as a separate workout which helps, started the first about 10 laps around 5.50-6min per km.... did a few slower ones in the night with slowest at 10min per km... then sped back up to 6s near the end and his last one at5.10per km.

Pretty crazy endurance.. in a way a 10km lap every 2nd hour and an hour rest might make it slightly easier from a sleep deprivation point of view..

Dunno... I would prefer to keep moving during the dark hours. Stop starting can be deadly.

But sleep deprivation will only really come in to play if you start going the distance on the 2nd night.

Racing non stop for 30 hours is 'short' and you should be able to stay alert and awake pretty easily.

The 1st 36 hours will be more a question of when the legs give up over when the noddy's and sleep monsters come knocking.

Dunno... I would prefer to keep moving during the dark hours. Stop starting can be deadly.

But sleep deprivation will only really come in to play if you start going the distance on the 2nd night.

Racing non stop for 30 hours is 'short' and you should be able to stay alert and awake pretty easily.

The 1st 36 hours will be more a question of when the legs give up over when the noddy's and sleep monsters come knocking.

You AR guys scare me

hahahaha

Speaking of which, usual poster Dave303 started Itera in Scotland today! 530km of highland goodness. Looks like it should be cracking.

A smiling Dave popped up on my instagram feed, I laughed, its weird to put faces to the names here.

That's pretty tuff.. As soon as I sit, my legs go stiff and takes forever to warm up again. But would like to try it someday.looks like alot of fun.

Buy a TRX. It helps a lot with strength and balance. And its cheaper than going to the gym. [emoji106]

First I've heard of one of these.... The Irish in me says I could make that myself......[emoji38]

Things went pretty smooth from our side, but always keen to get input and see where we can perhaps improve...

Looking forward to Wanderers, always nicer to be running :thumbup: Even if very slowly

Second time doing this one, but only the 10Km. Just as well I entered the 10Km and not the HM, as I hit the deck on Friday and was still hurting a bit (mostly my back muscles), not forgetting the flu just two weeks back.

It would be absolute bliss if this event took place in October when the Jcarandas were in full colour. I left my silicone water bottle at home, so was forced to use the sachets. Had no problems with parking, was in/out in minimal time (parked on 10th Ave).

W.r.t. my crash, I got the ratio between centripetal force and coefficient of friction horribly wrong... more speed and a larger turn radius could’ve prevented my front wheel from washing out.

Anyone know when Two Oceans & Comrades entries open?

Use to be 1 Sept a few years ago but #TOM only opened in November last year, so hoping someone here knows more about this years dates. 

Anyone know when Two Oceans & Comrades entries open?

Use to be 1 Sept a few years ago but #TOM only opened in November last year, so hoping someone here knows more about this years dates. 

Based on last year, Comrades entries opened on the 19th of October. If I remember correctly they normally did open it on the 1st of September.

OMTOM opened on the 1st of November in 2017 and 13th of November last year.

PS. Someone needs to explain to me why they are already tweeting this, even if the entries are not open yet?

https://twitter.com/ComradesRace/status/1160810328546054146

Little bit op Topic, Has anyone run in Boldgear before. Stumbled onto their website last night looking for new trail running shorts and shirts. Its a ZA Brand and looks kinda cool, and they are dirt cheap. 

Based on last year, Comrades entries opened on the 19th of October. If I remember correctly they normally did open it on the 1st of September.

OMTOM opened on the 1st of November in 2017 and 13th of November last year.

PS. Someone needs to explain to me why they are already tweeting this, even if the entries are not open yet?

https://twitter.com/ComradesRace/status/1160810328546054146

Don't have twitter, what does it say?