ScottCM

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While the rain has wet Eskom's coal and caused load-shedding, it's reduced my mileage this week to zero. Hopefully there'll be a break tomorrow morning and I'll get a run.

I've read that it's a good idea to cut back every few weeks for recovery. I noticed a slight drop in pace over the last few weeks, so it will be interesting to see what effect the forced break has had.

While the rain has wet Eskom's coal and caused load-shedding, it's reduced my mileage this week to zero. Hopefully there'll be a break tomorrow morning and I'll get a run.

I've read that it's a good idea to cut back every few weeks for recovery. I noticed a slight drop in pace over the last few weeks, so it will be interesting to see what effect the forced break has had.

After Dublin at the end of October I have been properly pap. Too two weeks off and even after that the legs were stiff and tired. I have a half marathon tomorrow but it's going to be an easy run.. Not going for any pb's!. I need to start a 16 week program again at Christmas... So I'm focusing on rest right now

After Dublin at the end of October I have been properly pap. Too two weeks off and even after that the legs were stiff and tired. I have a half marathon tomorrow but it's going to be an easy run.. Not going for any pb's!. I need to start a 16 week program again at Christmas... So I'm focusing on rest right now

I've spent enough time in Ireland in winter to know that my reluctance to run in the rain here in summer is pathetic. How do you manage to run in the Irish winter?

Edited by Lotus

I've spent enough time in Ireland in winter to know that my reluctance to run in the rain here in summer is pathetic. How do you manage to run in the Irish winter?

It's not too bad once you get going...... Gloves and a buff go s long way to keeping you warm... Of course... If it raining... Well that's a different story!

I ran in the rain 3 days this week already. I just wait for it to ease up to a light drizzle, whatever happens along the way is part of the mental training. So far, it has been quite enjoyable :-)

I ran in the rain 3 days this week already. I just wait for it to ease up to a light drizzle, whatever happens along the way is part of the mental training. So far, it has been quite enjoyable :-)

2 days for me. I'm a bit concerned what it might do to my shoes, but I myself didn't melt. 

Nothing wrong with running in the rain in SA temperatures (even on rainy days in SA it's quite warm). It's when you need to run in the rain in near freezing conditions where things become a struggle.

Also got an entry for Oceans in the 2nd ballot

Me too... Pretty stoked. It will be a good long run for my Tusker Preparation.

Hopefully the Peninsula doesn't lose it's s*** in the next few months and we get to run the proper route.

That ou kaapse route and I did not gel so well....

Finally... I was waiting for this episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AkIDP3BT6Q

hardest 100km in the world.

Closed tab when reading that. Skyrun, trail de Bourbon, Antarctic 100km all harder than UTCT. 

Same goes for any other person claiming toughest race- a lot is subjective, a lot are more to do with conditions than route. It is long, it is tough, it is an achievement. But it is likely only the hardest 100km route he has done...

hardest 100km in the world.

Closed tab when reading that. Skyrun, trail de Bourbon, Antarctic 100km all harder than UTCT. 

Same goes for any other person claiming toughest race- a lot is subjective, a lot are more to do with conditions than route. It is long, it is tough, it is an achievement. But it is likely only the hardest 100km route he has done...

Tell us how you really feel....  :whistling:

I agree though. I've done it and it's not that hard. The one thing that makes it tough is the cut off's are quite a lot quicker than an average 'ultra' of that distance. 

Is it more difficult to finish than skyrun? I would say yes. You can't go into UTCT under cooked and plod it out. You will get cut.

I do however think that it isn't the hardest 100km running race in the world. I did a race in the Basque country many years ago that had 4000m of ascent and descent over a 22km stretch from km 65 to 87, 3 hills. It was brutal.