ScottCM

Question guys:

Is Run the Berg really worth the huge cost??

cheapest im finding is R6390 for self catering accommodation and entry.  Thats more expensive than Zingela with all meals and luxury accommodation included??

I've loved the ones I have done, but I'm also a bit biased... that day one of the Extreme is honestly pure magic though (also brutal, but you're a trail runner so you'll no doubt love it)

Accom R2k for a couple for the two nights and then two entries at R2k a piece? Sounds about right...

Where you looking to stay?

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question guys:

cheapest im finding is R6390 for self catering accommodation and entry.  Thats more expensive than Zingela with all meals and luxury accommodation included??

Umm.... My opinion is no.

I would rather organise a place to stay and run the hiking trails in the berg with a slightly bigger pack.

Quite a bit of the course is on MTB track and although pretty, isn't 'spectacular'.

Very achievable days though and I am probably not a very realistic yardstick as a weekend in the berg for me involves smashing out 150km an sleeping in a cave/bush.

I think something like the dryland traverse is far better value for money in the Cape if you are hell bent on doing an 'event' or the Wild Coast runs... Those are rad.

@Andrew..looking at Montusi, we cant look at the camping option because we camp in a VW bus and then we would be stuck for a ride to the start.  Weve asked if we bring bikes to ride to the start if there was somewhere safe to keep them but they said no.

Thanks JewB' im inclined to agree.

Even Oxpecker is cheaper and they lay it on thick!  

@Andrew..looking at Montusi, we cant look at the camping option because we camp in a VW bus and then we would be stuck for a ride to the start.  Weve asked if we bring bikes to ride to the start if there was somewhere safe to keep them but they said no.

True.

I just think that stage racing in a place like the berg is an expensive way to see something you can do very very easily for free with just a very small amount of extra planning.

Ledges, Berghouse and Witsieshoek all close enough and nice accom for under R2k per couple for the weekend

Travelling and accom often the biggest expense though with these things...

I'm gonna man up and start doing some Jewbacca adventures in the future - just hope the wife accepts the challenge 

I think im also going to do something like that...JewB..you have given us some food for thought.  I could book at those same places and still go do those hikes but run them...without having to pay the R1700/R2050 entry. 

Question guys:

Rather do Mnweni Spring marathon.... used to be dirt cheap and ridiculously epic.

Otherwise the berg is beautiful to run just for fun.

Another great stage trail race is Wolkberg, bit further for the kzn folk but a beautiful tough trail. Think it was R3100 for dorm room accom, entry, food and most importantly a Zwakala or 2...

Also X-berg, cheap, epic route, super tough but awesome 4 days in the mountains

Edited by dave303e

Ive looked at Wolkberg..think you have spoken about it before...looks really nice but yeah gets costly.

So far for me the best run is Zingela at R6000 for both of us all inclusive, for luxury (rustic)accommodation good food and magic trails.  No coms so there is no checking in at home which is a great bonus.

https://www.zingelatrailrun.co.za/

Umm.... My opinion is no.

I would rather organise a place to stay and run the hiking trails in the berg with a slightly bigger pack.

Quite a bit of the course is on MTB track and although pretty, isn't 'spectacular'.

Very achievable days though and I am probably not a very realistic yardstick as a weekend in the berg for me involves smashing out 150km an sleeping in a cave/bush.

I think something like the dryland traverse is far better value for money in the Cape if you are hell bent on doing an 'event' or the Wild Coast runs... Those are rad.

I agree.

I did the Mont-Aux-Sources marathon route on a Wednesday morning beginning of November - it cost me petrol money from Joburg and back and R140 for a night at Mahai. (Tip for Mahai - cheaper to not pre-book if you now there's not going to be an issue with availability.)

I plan to do the chain ladder route starting at Witsieshoek day 1 and Tugela gorge route from Mahai day 2 some time in the next month or 2 on a Tue/Wed and 2 days of running in Golden Gate on another Tue/Wed trip.

Edit: adding a Mnweni running trip too!

Edited by ridr

I have 3 x 21 or 42km Johnson Crane entries available for free if anyone is interested.

They changed the start time to 5:30 am.

Can I please have them

Has anyone tried 'NamedSport' products? Gels and such. I see they've popped up in Dischem.

There's quite a range with some interesting ingredients in them so I'm keen to test them out - aminos, B-alanine, vitargo, maca (!) and other exotics.

Has anyone tried 'NamedSport' products? Gels and such. I see they've popped up in Dischem.

There's quite a range with some interesting ingredients in them so I'm keen to test them out - aminos, B-alanine, vitargo, maca (!) and other exotics.

I use them, one of the better tasting gels I've had, and using their hydrafit juice too.their energy bars are like rice crispy bars, so easy to eat, and their energy shot little bottles work a treat!

Haven't sampled all of their products though.