ScottCM

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool Ideas 2020 Trail Running Series - Kloofzicht

Code of Conduct

• Don’t trash the organisers on Social Media – have the balls to chat to them first.
  • If racing, follow the arrows – not the person in front of you.

Being my very first trail run I decided to actually listen during the race briefing. The organiser saying that every year runners goes off the route and he doesn't understand it as he walks the route and its impossible to lose the trail as its clearly marked. My take-away being that you must an idiot to go off trail.

Well clearly Im an idiot as my 25km run turned into a 30km run. I ran the first 20k on my own with no other runner in sight expect for the odd time where I would catch someone and overtake them. So I didnt blindly follow anyone.

These guys are clueless.  I got lost at two of their trail runs last year, including Kloofzicht. Last year the 25km ended up doing only 10km. We got misdirected at the first water table by the marshall, missing an entire 15km loop.

I have since decided to stop supporting them.

These guys are clueless.  I got lost at two of their trail runs last year, including Kloofzicht. Last year the 25km ended up doing only 10km. We got misdirected at the first water table by the marshall, missing an entire 15km loop.

I have since decided to stop supporting them.

...........Didn't read rule 1.................................  :mellow:

...........Didn't read rule 1................................. :mellow:

It is a new rule they brought in after their first stuff up. So my experience predates this rule [emoji12]

Is there a verdict on the LONG runs in the comrades training program regarding a single run or back to back, or is there more than one way to do it?

The scenario.  The beginning of May final long run, say 50km's. 

Should that be done in one go on tar, or will time on your feet also be the same?  Divided over two days to complicate it more, lets say you do a 24km lots of elevation ("time on your feet") trail run the one day and follow it up with another +-30km gravel road run the next day?

Is there a verdict on the LONG runs in the comrades training program regarding a single run or back to back, or is there more than one way to do it?

Should that be done in one go on tar, or will time on your feet also be the same?  Divided over two days to complicate it more, lets say you do a 24km lots of elevation ("time on your feet") trail run the one day and follow it up with another +-30km gravel road run the next day?

Personally I haven't done the Comrades or followed any of their plans so cannot really comment.  But for what its worth, if I were you I'd go and run that 24k trail run and do the 30k trail/gravel the following day.  That just seems like a whole lot more fun than doing a 50k training run on the road.  But that's just me. 

I would recommend the 60 km RAC long run. It is normally on the 1st of May. 

It is excellent mental prep for Comrades.

It needs to be taken in context of your overall training, distance to date/planned distance at the race and goal time.

Ferret and I have done anywhere between 2 & 5 long runs (longer than 42k) with the longest being around 60k from march to the beginning of May over the last few years. Some the guys we run with do double that and others half that and at the finish of the race there isn't more than 20 minutes between us. Which is a couple of km/second pace difference on the day. 

We also do double session days but these generally will not be more than 25k accumulative. We do a lot of back to back sessions, where we do push the mileage. We will go pretty close to 2500k from the 1st of Jan.

I judge it on what I think my body can take without breaking down. You need to judge that yourself, if you can get a long run in without the risk of injury then I would recommend that. Followed by a decent run the next day. 

There is no golden rule. Be sensible and but you need to push your body.

I would always recommend going and doing one of the www.belovedlongruns.co.za routetesters if it is feasible. 

We here in Cape Town have been quite lucky with the addition of the False Bay 50km on the 10th May. Perfect date for the last long run.

I've often wondered the same. I'm a believer of long runs though, not so much for legs' benefit but more getting your mind used to being in that suck zone that comes after hours and hours. 

I've often wondered the same. I'm a believer of long runs though, not so much for legs' benefit but more getting your mind used to being in that suck zone that comes after hours and hours. 

I'm the same. I'm doing 1 x 24 hour plus mountain run a month for Feb, March, April and May in Prep for Tusker. If I do 100km or 160km it doesn't matter. It's more for the time on my feet and getting the mindset right. 

If your mind is right, that's a large part of the battle won

Remember the shoes Bruce used to run in.

Nike Vendetta’s?

I could only run short distances 10k and less in them

This morning I finally admitted to myself that it is now pitch dark in the mornings, and that winter is winning the early light battle.

Its time to break out - the head lamp, already ... sigh.

This morning I finally admitted to myself that it is now pitch dark in the mornings, and that winter is winning the early light battle.

Its time to break out - the head lamp, already ... sigh.

Fight for flexi hours at work, it will change your life. I am in the office by 6 and home by 15:10, so even in winter there is still a full hour and a bit of daylight to train...

Chances are that the month of fasting would probably be 25 April to 24 May, meaning that I will have 3 weeks of taper(I would be doing a few HMs in the 1st half). Would it be ok to do my last long run of about 65-70km before I start fasting? I will be training throughout the fast as well so that I don't lose too much of my fitness, and I am hoping to do a back-to-back marathon over one of the weekends. Not sure how to approach this other than 'don't stop training'. Any pearls of wisdom would be appreciated.

Fight for flexi hours at work, it will change your life. I am in the office by 6 and home by 15:10, so even in winter there is still a full hour and a bit of daylight to train...

Haha funnily enough I have the most flexible hours right now, being funemployed and all...

But our alarm goes off at the same time so the missus can do her thing, plus I enjoy it early - its cool, theres no cars, no people, no noise, just calm.