Intermittent Fasting

P.A.K.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

surely type 2 diabetes is caused by eating rubbish? Hence the onset can be mitigated by eating properly

There is just so much more to Type 2 diabetes ... a quick water rinse will have less than 0% impact ...

Getting Type 2 diabetes is a LONG term process, with many contributing factors, some of which are :

- Genetics

- Obesity

- Binging on foods that spike your blood sugar. Even more so when coupled with a lifestyle of long days without food, thus regula spiking from very low blood sugar to very high ...

- Stress ....

- Lack of exercise ....

It is a lifestyle of hard work, high stress, insane hours, not eating right, not exercing ....

No short fad diet helps for this. Diabetes is often a lifestyle disease and all factors needs to be addressed to effectively reduce your chances of getting it ... on an ongoing basis.

You are correct, and especially if you do a pure water fast like I did, as said before I only drank water, and took 3 electrolytes potassium and magnesium which is critical for heart and brain function, and salt for cell function. 

If you want autophagy to kick in then you can't take other supplements, and as one of my main goals was healing, and removal of scar tissue and toxins from the body - I had to allow the body to source proteins from itself, eating itself by using up all scar tissue (eg. autophagy).

Sadly you do lose some muscle too, but at a much smaller rate than fat, as your body goes into ketosis.

Just a few questions please.

According to the tiny bit of reading I've done autophagy is supposed to set in after 24 hours. Why then go 21 days?

Did your injury get better?

Did you drink coffee/tea or was it a pure water fast?

I'm super intrigued and quite impressed by your ability to maintain a fast for 21 days.

My take on 'intermittent fasting' is that it 'usually' accompanies exercise and a change in lifestyle.

The gaps in food in take (what you call fasting) merely regulates or stops calorie in take for a substantial part of the day and will often include the burning of calories.

So you will in all likely hood end up with a caloric deficit without having to count calories as you have missed a third of your feeding time.

The science all points to one having to fast for 36 to 48 hours before autophagy kicks in.

More water, less calories, lifestyle change and exercise equals weight loss however you paint it. So while intermittent fasting worked for you, it was probably more the basics than the actual fasting, just hidden behind a regime.

I'm not knocking it, if it works it works. Just make sure it is sustainable. Much like anything in nature, the body doesn't like sudden changes in it's eco system, so losing 14kg in a month is not good for you. Losing 14kg in 14 weeks is however good for you as it shows consistency, which we all know is the key to anything.

My take on 'intermittent fasting' is that it 'usually' accompanies exercise and a change in lifestyle.

The gaps in food in take (what you call fasting) merely regulates or stops calorie in take for a substantial part of the day and will often include the burning of calories.

So you will in all likely hood end up with a caloric deficit without having to count calories as you have missed a third of your feeding time.

100%

But there does seem to be some evolutionary logic involved. Our cavemen ancestors after 2 days of not eating would then need an energy boost to make sure they obtained a meal. So all the senses go on high alert and energy levels rise in a "bet" that they will obtain food within the next little while. So in a way we are designed to have the odd fast.

I've never even considered a fast until recently. Right now I'm 36 hours in since my last meal. Last night I'd not eaten for 24 hours and I ran my 2nd best 5k. It would have been my fastest if we didn't have a little detour coz my better half didn't want her shoes getting wet. After that I did 40km on my IDT. I felt super strong but I kept it in zone 2. Right now I feel almost euphoric. 

I'm not buying into anything. I'm just running a little experiment on myself and I've got some good stuff lined up for dinner tonight. This might all be broscience.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

100%

But there does seem to be some evolutionary logic involved. Our cavemen ancestors after 2 days of not eating would then need an energy boost to make sure they obtained a meal. So all the senses go on high alert and energy levels rise in a "bet" that they will obtain food within the next little while. So in a way we are designed to have the odd fast.

I've never even considered a fast until recently. Right now I'm 36 hours in since my last meal. Last night I'd not eaten for 24 hours and I ran my 2nd best 5k. It would have been my fastest if we didn't have a little detour coz my better half didn't want her shoes getting wet. After that I did 40km on my IDT. I felt super strong but I kept it in zone 2. Right now I feel almost euphoric. 

I'm not buying into anything. I'm just running a little experiment on myself and I've got some good stuff lined up for dinner tonight. This might all be broscience.

Agree 100%. 

Caveman didn't exactly go "uggh ugghh breakfast, ughh ughh lunch, uggh uggh dinner". It was more a case of "ughh ughh food"

Starting with a 16:8 today to see how I can break through the plateau. I dropped 8kg and now I'm hovering between 106 and 108 regardless of my training and eating plan. This loss is since June.

Granted I built a lot of muscle again after not riding for a long time and I have lost a lot CMs to the point of dropping from a 38 waist to around a 34 again.  

Agree 100%. 

Caveman didn't exactly go "uggh ugghh breakfast, ughh ughh lunch, uggh uggh dinner". It was more a case of "ughh ughh food"

Starting with a 16:8 today to see how I can break through the plateau. I dropped 8kg and now I'm hovering between 106 and 108 regardless of my training and eating plan. This loss is since June.

Granted I built a lot of muscle again after not riding for a long time and I have lost a lot CMs to the point of dropping from a 38 waist to around a 34 again.  

where is your weight situated then ? are you tall ?

I'm 1.75m and went from a 36 to a 34 waist by dropping from 85kg to 82kg, so just wondering that at 106 where is your weight ?

I'm 1.75m and went from a 36 to a 34 waist by dropping from 85kg to 82kg, so just wondering that at 106 where is your weight ?

maybe 106 lbs.............. :ph34r:

Just a few questions please.

According to the tiny bit of reading I've done autophagy is supposed to set in after 24 hours. Why then go 21 days?

Did your injury get better?

Did you drink coffee/tea or was it a pure water fast?

I'm super intrigued and quite impressed by your ability to maintain a fast for 21 days.

To allow as much healing and autophagy as possible. I had a posterior-tibial-tendonitis injury which I struggled with for months, as well as a slight muscle injury in the quads. I did not feel any of these 2 injuries this morning on my 1 hour run. Additionally, a wrist injury from last November when I was hit by a car whilst cycling/commuting has completely healed, this is also because of minimal use during lockdown, so can't attribute this completely to autophagy. And lastly, I was bitten by a button-spider/black widow a couple of years ago which caused fibromyalgia, especially in my legs, and this was maybe my greatest reason for fasting so long, I wanted to see if it would alleviate the condition. Time will tell whether there has been an improvement, but for now they look and feel better.

Since it takes a few days before entering autophagy, I thought that since I’m there/here, take full advantage of it for as long as possible. To fast 3 days before autophagy really kicks in, just to have it work for a day before exit-ing seemed a waste? 

Did your injury get better? As per above

Did you drink coffee/tea or was it a pure water fast?        Nothing, nada, just spring water.
Coffee etc. activates the gut. Even the potassium I had to take, was pretty expensive as I was looking for the purest form. Any calorie intake will stop autophagy. Some pills/capsules are made/encapsulated in a veg compound which could interfere with autophagy/ or your gut. You want to give your body as much time and resources to heal itself unhindered by digestive processes.

Lastly, my fat % always fluctuates between 13%-14%. Thus, when my fat % went up to 16%, it was the perfect opportunity to take an extended fast as there was enough fat reserves to sustain a 21-day fast without the body resorting into starting to burn muscle for survival (when you actually start starving).

I also finished my fast with a visit to the doctors', just to check if all is still 'ok'.
Edited by EddieV

Age 39 and I'm 1.79m 

Doing an average of 100km on the bike per week. Split between 60km higher intensity on the trails and 40km lower intensity on the IDT.

Agree 100%. 

post-119556-0-44272900-1600244956_thumb.jpg

OR

post-119556-0-05211200-1600245119_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohanDiv

The latter  :clap:

I managed to melt a lot around my waist. I carry a lot in the stomach at the moment and I have a proper set of tree trunks for legs. Regular fit jeans are skinny fit to me with being loose around the waist.

Pictures............. :w00t: