When do you buy a 'new' bike?

nox1111

Amusing that whenever I walk into a bikeshop looking for a tyre or a service - they give you the look - you know the look - and then say: "Have you seen the new (points to closest 29'er and read the name on the frame) this is what you need". haha

Ja, my local bike shop knows exactly what bikes I have, so lately they talk to me about fatbikes and even lent me one to try for the weekend. They know pretty well that that's the only thing I don't have. Luckily sanity prevailed and I managed to say no thank you, well, at least until I inherit a house on the beach from a previously unknown aunt!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got home the other day and my wife told me to buy a new bike. She even found one for me. I love my wife.

Our wives should really meet...

[edit] - Chainsaw, you have just won the internet! Nothing anyone posts anywhere on the web, ever again, will be able to trump your post.

Edited by KarlvN

I got home the other day and my wife told me to buy a new bike. She even found one for me. I love my wife.

My girlfriend knew I wanted a road bike to do some touring. So she helped buy me a Bianchi along with Bianchi kit. I'm putting a ring on her finger! 

Sorry did not mean to brag.  :oops:

Edited by Jakkels

My girlfriend knew I wanted a road bike to do some touring. So she helped buy me a Bianchi along with Bianchi kit. I'm putting a ring on her finger! 

Sorry did not mean to brag.  :oops:

She is helping until the ring is on the finger then its a No new bikes as you are spending my money.

My wife says that what ever I spend on bikes I have to spend on her, needless to say she now has a new car.

As for me, I am currently lining up all my ducks for a full-sus. I have only been riding for just over two years now, and bought a Bergamont HT 29er new last year January. That bike has given me so far just over 3500kays of joy. I do most of my riding on the Tygerberg MTB trails, and have lately come to realise that I am grossly under-gunned on the technical bits, as my skills have markedly improved over the last year.

I will have to finance it, but intend to pay it off before the end of '16. My budget is around the R35k mark, so I know I won't get top of the range, but I can get a new Giant Anthem X 29er, Spez Camber Comp 29er, Cube Stereo etc. for that kind of dosh.

My reasoning is I have reached the limit of my current bike's abilities, and I am spending money on it on every other ride. Just in the last four months I have replaced my rear hub twice, and had two spokes replaced just in the last 10 days. The headset is feeling like there is too much play in it, and now I ask myself everytime I ride, when is the bike going to let me down when I least expect it?

I feel like a new buy is only justified when you really have run out of viable options on your current bike.

I get an urge every 2 years or so to buy a new car as I get bored with the old one. Cars are now way too expensive so I satify the craving by buying a new bike.

Seriosly though its generally when the right bike comes out. I want a Specialized Rhyme as its just the perfect bike for the type of riding I like. Even willing to sell two of my other babies to get it.

Only rule I have is that I must be able to buy it with cash. Bikes are a luxury item and not a necessity so better to save up than buy on credit.

While on the subject of rules...

Rule # 95

Never lift your bike over your head.

Under no circumstances is it acceptable to raise one’s machine above your head. The only exception is when placing it onto a car’s roof-rack.

ooh, burn.  ouch.  *backs away slowly...