Kidney For Sale

PygaSchmyga

I'm curious about the level of cycling-specific inflation that we experience.  Mein Got man but this two-wheeled tomfoolery is getting blerry expensive.  And if our ANC friends keep up their grand track record that has sent the Ront into the depths of hell, we are going to just ***-off even more.

I propose a protest against the high cost of cycling. Anyone got Tony Erenreich's mobile number?

I'm curious about the level of cycling-specific inflation that we experience.  Mein Got man but this two-wheeled tomfoolery is getting blerry expensive.  And if our ANC friends keep up their grand track record that has sent the Ront into the depths of hell, we are going to just ***-off even more.

I propose a protest against the high cost of cycling. Anyone got Tony Erenreich's mobile number?

You dont HAVE to buy XX1 or XTR...there are other alternatives you know...

I get what you are saying, our Zimbabwean Rand is doing us no favours. HOWEVER

I believe the SA cycling industry is a bit skewed when it comes to mark-ups, margins and distributor costs.....

Anyway, I am (not really out of choice) doing it the cheap way. No suspension service costs, I buy tyres every couple of months ( I take my jar of vaseline along when I do that)

a chain and a sprocket, and some brakepads...

The mark-ups on bikes and components are not really as big as most of you expect. I'm not 100% sure on the cut the wholesaler takes, but bikes are generally only ever marked up by 35%, which is really low when you compare it to the 70 - 150% mark up some industries are able to have. And the shops make even less money, because you people ALWAYS want discount.

I think the issue here is that people buy bikes they cannot afford. Then they cringe when they see what it costs to maintain that bike. No one ever wants to pay to fix their bikes, but they always want to complain when something's not working right.

If you're willing to spend money to keep your car going, to keep you house going, you holiday house, your second car, you motorbike etc.. then fix your damn bike and stop moaning.

If you can't afford a certain bike (not just the purchase price) buy something cheaper. That's the beauty of this sport. You can ride any bike, as long as you ride.

Anyway, sorry about that guys, but I just had some stuff to get off my chest.

You're welcome to rip me apart all you want now, but I stand by what I say.

EDIT: Just to add, that's exactly why there are more and more idiots working at bike shops. Because people are not willing to pay for good products and good service from someone who is an expert in the field and who has dedicated as much of their lives to bikes as you have to be a lawyer or a doctor. So these people with the expertise go looking for something else. Somewhere where they can actually make a living. And then you're stuck with the idiots who don't know a thing about bikes.

Edited by Hayseed

You dont HAVE to buy XX1 or XTR...there are other alternatives you know...

I get what you are saying, our Zimbabwean Rand is doing us no favours. HOWEVER

I believe the SA cycling industry is a bit skewed when it comes to mark-ups, margins and distributor costs.....

Anyway, I am (not really out of choice) doing it the cheap way. No suspension service costs, I buy tyres every couple of months ( I take my jar of vaseline along when I do that)

a chain and a sprocket, and some brakepads...

Can't agree with you re mark ups, margins & distributors margins in the SA cycling industry, unless the international cycling trade is in on it too..

Just this week, I did some comparative shopping, and CRC would have come in 11% cheaper than a local, well priced LBS....

UNLESS the local distributor & LBS are working on "old" currency pricing.

As an importer, I see what our weak Rand does to the cost of an item, as soon as it leaves the factory door, as all your costs are in Real Currency. The costs just go up exponentially

If nothing else, as an importer, I am cutting my margin, having to deal with Cash Flow issues, and the item is still getting further and further out, in terms of affordability... 

The only good news is that many other currencies have taken a tumble lately, so hopefully, there will be some recovery of sorts, at some point.... Lets hope.

If not, I see us cycling a lot more, with less pricey equipment.

I absolutely relate to your sentiments. I think with South Africa it's more of a niche market situation with mtb's. I've actually done some shorthand-over-the-heard pseudo research and it seems that mostly middle to upper classes folks are the only people who seemingly afford mountain biking which is why it makes it quite a niche market. It isn't that poor dirts like me don't have interests in the sport but rather puts more emphasis on the affordability and range. Hell yes I would sell a handfull of my healthy kidney and perhaps a piece of my liver just get hold of these pieces of mechanical wizadries.

I've always been interested in mountain biking and extreme sports since I was young. This year I saved up a little to buy an "entry level" mountain bike, needless to say, the bug, oh my god the bug bit me so hard that the bike I bought got me bored within a two week time span, I had an older bike back at home, you know one of those game/makro sale ones although the one I bought this year was quite better than my "makro sale" bike in fact undeniably good(for a short while though), so I've ridden mtbs while growing up and got reasonable mtb skills and I'm quite the race snake feller if I must say. Well I'm dirt poor only for a short while I suppose :rolleyes:  and can hardly afford the mid to top tier bikes which is what everyone would kindly like to own.

• 1 month later...

Can't agree with you re mark ups, margins & distributors margins in the SA cycling industry, unless the international cycling trade is in on it too..

Just this week, I did some comparative shopping, and CRC would have come in 11% cheaper than a local, well priced LBS....

UNLESS the local distributor & LBS are working on "old" currency pricing.

As an importer, I see what our weak Rand does to the cost of an item, as soon as it leaves the factory door, as all your costs are in Real Currency. The costs just go up exponentially

If nothing else, as an importer, I am cutting my margin, having to deal with Cash Flow issues, and the item is still getting further and further out, in terms of affordability... 

The only good news is that many other currencies have taken a tumble lately, so hopefully, there will be some recovery of sorts, at some point.... Lets hope.

If not, I see us cycling a lot more, with less pricey equipment.

crc is not exactly as cheap as you might think. i had the same thought but when the items arrived from crc, they were held at customs awaiting various charges. turned out it would have been cheaper to buy directly from the most expensive lbs

• 4 weeks later...

We operate on a low mark up across all products and parts. This is because we don't rely on the retail side and enjoy giving our clients the best possible value. As stated that becomes difficult when guys insist on discounts etc.

I clearly wasn't sent the price fixing memo when I opened the shop. :P

I clearly wasn't sent the price fixing memo when I opened the shop. :P

Or the legal fees and fines either....

The mark-ups on bikes and components are not really as big as most of you expect. I'm not 100% sure on the cut the wholesaler takes, but bikes are generally only ever marked up by 35%, which is really low when you compare it to the 70 - 150% mark up some industries are able to have. And the shops make even less money, because you people ALWAYS want discount.

I think the issue here is that people buy bikes they cannot afford. Then they cringe when they see what it costs to maintain that bike. No one ever wants to pay to fix their bikes, but they always want to complain when something's not working right.

If you're willing to spend money to keep your car going, to keep you house going, you holiday house, your second car, you motorbike etc.. then fix your damn bike and stop moaning.

If you can't afford a certain bike (not just the purchase price) buy something cheaper. That's the beauty of this sport. You can ride any bike, as long as you ride.

Anyway, sorry about that guys, but I just had some stuff to get off my chest.

You're welcome to rip me apart all you want now, but I stand by what I say.

EDIT: Just to add, that's exactly why there are more and more idiots working at bike shops. Because people are not willing to pay for good products and good service from someone who is an expert in the field and who has dedicated as much of their lives to bikes as you have to be a lawyer or a doctor. So these people with the expertise go looking for something else. Somewhere where they can actually make a living. And then you're stuck with the idiots who don't know a thing about bikes.

I agree with your sentiments however; bike prices from the manufacturers are stupidly high. This is our fault as we often fall into the trap pf paying too much for something that is a passion.

Damn I can by a motor car or a motor bike or both for the price of one bike. Then the parts have a super limited life and cost an arm and a leg. So we have made our bed we have to now lay in it.

The only way prices will come down is if we stop paying stupid prices. Then a lot of shops will close down and prices over time will correct. Then the margins can again become realistic for the retailers and distributors. 

No one can tell me that the real cost of a bike is what is currently is, BUT IT IS THE PRICE THE MARKET WILL BEAR, and it will stay so till the market says otherwise.

As an aside looking at the car market, I looked at all the cash back deals and could not understand. Stupid me, they are trying to keep the second hand price and the "book value" up where it belongs, but give the customers and their turnover a boost.

Maybe bike distributors will go the same route, who knows.

This is a question that I have  asked myself especially when you look at pricing from the big S and tend to think  the distributor and the manufacture are the ones making the money and the LBS is perhaps the one left to trying to find that 20-30% margin on a already expensive item.

I am amazed that, for example in the UK, you can but a motorbike or bicycle and pay it off over 3 or 4 years at 0% interest. Sometimes including all the kit too.

Guest notmyname

I am amazed that, for example in the UK, you can but a motorbike or bicycle and pay it off over 3 or 4 years at 0% interest. Sometimes including all the kit too.

Jip. Three of my mates are doing this. The boys have sick rides that cost a nominal am out each month. Brand new bikes every two years. What a pleasure.

crc is not exactly as cheap as you might think. i had the same thought but when the items arrived from crc, they were held at customs awaiting various charges. turned out it would have been cheaper to buy directly from the most expensive lbs

You need to do your homework when buying from crc...bicycle parts dont have import duties fees, just VAT, but clothing and protective gear has import duties...