Kids Balance Bike recommendations

GgL

Hi Everyone

We want to buy a balance bike for our 2 year old boy. Can you please recommend an affordable  (good quality) bike?

It will most probably become a hand me down to his baby brother…

Please also let me know if you maybe want to sell a good condition second hand one.

Thanks so much.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been through 3 of these and then passed them on. Honestly, they are all much of a muchness.

The Strider is pretty cool...

Strider puts on pretty awesome events at the BMX meets for the toddlers, seen a lot of those kids transition to big bikes really easily after riding those things for a while.

Got my lightie a Muna balance bike. BRILLIANT little thing. Reasonably cheap (I think just under / over R 1,000 at current rates) and was the one that allowed the lowest saddle height of the lot, with a fully adjustable coaster brake that even with his super small hands allows him to brake Built STRONG, and will last him a while yet. 

got a We Bike at Sportmanswarehouse , my third son will be using it soon. No problems with it, so a good a choice. I think so long the child is comfortable with it I don't think there can be much between the various brands

Got little Patensie (3.5) a JD-bug. Happy with it. Will be passed on his little sister, who's 19 months and really enjoys her Y-bike Peewee (bought second hand). She'll progress to her brother's y-bike original as soon as we get him not to be over-possessive on his old bike (#IemandGaanNogPakslaeKry).

We had the KTM balance bike.  Awesome little bike and solid. 

The one advantage of a "motorbike" one over a "bicycle" one is there are hand protectors.

The amount of times my son rode into something (especially in the house), they saved his hands.

I swear by the balance bikes.  I've seen the difference in bike control with the kids who rode balance bikes vs ones that rode with training wheels for a long time.

My eldest has an Avalanche balance bike. It has served him well. We bought him a 14" Muna pedal bike for this third bday and he rides it often, but still pulls out the Avalanche balance bike as his first choice.

My little guy turns 2 in Feb. The Muna Monster Truck balance bike is definitely coming his way! Schweeet looking bike!

My eldest has an Avalanche balance bike. It has served him well. We bought him a 14" Muna pedal bike for this third bday and he rides it often, but still pulls out the Avalanche balance bike as his first choice.

My little guy turns 2 in Feb. The Muna Monster Truck balance bike is definitely coming his way! Schweeet looking bike!

Yeah, my little one has the Fire Truck. 

His y bike went to my best mate, who has just had a lightie. Mine doesn't even know it's gone...

I got my daughter a Kiddimoto Rossi bike.  Served her extremely well, has been passed down to the younger one and still looks brand new.  Great bearings, well put together and extremely solid.  Made the transition onto the normal pedal bike almost effortless.

Rossi_Kurve__05376_zoomq100-square.jpg

From when Vale was on a Ducati, obviously...

Edited by dirtypot

strider, and then take him to the events they have, he'l love it, the skills and confidence they learn on those bmx tracks is amazing to watch.

We had the KTM balance bike.  Awesome little bike and solid. 

The one advantage of a "motorbike" one over a "bicycle" one is there are hand protectors.

The amount of times my son rode into something (especially in the house), they saved his hands.

I swear by the balance bikes.  I've seen the difference in bike control with the kids who rode balance bikes vs ones that rode with training wheels for a long time.

Those are bad in my opinion and saw with my oldest daughter.  But after some good advice from theHub I removed the pedals and the training wheels and the bike was used as a Balance bike and about two weeks later I had to put the pedals back and she was riding the bike as she should.  Did the same trick with my second daughter and she obviously started cycling much quicker.  To be honest I am glad I did not spend the money to buy balance bike as well.

Got little Patensie (3.5) a JD-bug. Happy with it. Will be passed on his little sister, who's 19 months and really enjoys her Y-bike Peewee (bought second hand). She'll progress to her brother's y-bike original as soon as we get him not to be over-possessive on his old bike (#IemandGaanNogPakslaeKry).

Haha. Same age gap. Same experiences. WRT Y-Bikes and possessive tendencies... :)

Strider has served us pretty well. adjustable seat and handlebars makes for a bike that will last a number of years. Also has solid PU wheels means plenty of grip, never goes flat.

Edit> Dumb Fingers

Edited by RocknRolla

• 6 months later...

Anyone got any advice on balance bikes for tall kids?

My daughter is mutant tall and has out grown a JDbug but is not ready for a pedal bike yet.

My son who is younger than my daughter is also massive so I dont see buying another bike as being a waste. I am sure that he will need it as well.