Cape Epic 2016 Group

Acerunner

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you guys think of the Rubena Kratos / Scylla Textra 2.25 combo for the Epic?  It looks like a good option to me.  Any firsthand experience from anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Question for previous riders, but also newbies. What are the thoughts on doing this Epic on a 1x11 setup?

Question for previous riders, but also newbies. What are the thoughts on doing this Epic on a 1x11 setup?

All the tough "Manne" are going to tell you that 1x11's "perfect simplicity, yadda yadda", is a winner no matter what.

I guess it depends on your level. Those that can finish in the top 100 can pretty much do it on whatever you give them. Those who are going there mainly to just survive it, will be VERY thankful for a small blade and a nice big 40 or 42 cog at the back. 

Sure, you can run a 30 at the front, but the race isn't made up of only climbing. There are a lot of flat/fast open sections of jeep track and district roads where you can make up a lot of time lost on climbing, by pushing a nice big gear. Something that a 30 at the front and a 11 or even 10 tooth at the back wont give you, without you having to spin a pretty high cadence.

Epic is a war, I'd rather go into a war with all the ammo and not need it, than only a bit of ammo, but run out and wish I had more. 

Edited by Baaisikilist

Just the fact that you thought you should ask the question should indicate the answer...

Like Baaisikilist said...in the case of CE rather have to many gears than to few

Just the fact that you thought you should ask the question should indicate the answer...

Like Baaisikilist said...in the case of CE rather have to many gears than to few

All the tough "Manne" are going to tell you that 1x11's "perfect simplicity, yadda yadda", is a winner no matter what.

I guess it depends on your level. Those that can finish in the top 100 can pretty much do it on whatever you give them. Those who are going there mainly to just survive it, will be VERY thankful for a small blade and a nice big 40 or 42 cog at the back. 

Sure, you can run a 30 at the front, but the race isn't made up of only climbing. There are a lot of flat/fast open sections of jeep track and district roads where you can make up a lot of time lost on climbing, by pushing a nice big gear. Something that a 30 at the front and a 11 or even 10 tooth at the back wont give you, without you having to spin a pretty high cadence.

Epic is a war, I'd rather go into a war with all the ammo and not need it, than only a bit of ammo, but run out and wish I had more. 

One would assume that if you can ride the Epic, you are a pretty strong rider, no? :whistling:

I ride a 3 x 10 setup there are very few hills I have to walk and I am able to keep my cadence nice and high which helps me to save my legs from fatigue. The only thing that suffers with my 3 x 10 is my ego.

The gearing range of 1x11 is similar to 2x10 de pending on chain ring choice.

That's should be indicative enough of whether it's a doable option

Only as long as you don't mind missing a top and bottom gear off a 2x10 (assumin 11x36), then it's just peachy... alternately 2 top gears, or two bottom gears - depending on chainring selctecion.

(yes - I have  a gear char just to check that)

Oc course the last 6 months are changing that - 42x11 or 40x11 cassettes help with 2 x gear range - almost into 3 x 10 territory.

Only as long as you don't mind missing a top and bottom gear off a 2x10 (assumin 11x36), then it's just peachy... alternately 2 top gears, or two bottom gears - depending on chainring selctecion.

(yes - I have  a gear char just to check that)

Oc course the last 6 months are changing that - 42x11 or 40x11 cassettes help with 2 x gear range - almost into 3 x 10 territory.

If you feel you can utilise a 36 front ring with an 11 tooth sprocket then sure 1 x 11 may require you to make some compromises. Then a 24 little ring makes the 36 tooth sprocket into a great granny if you plan on being that blown. The 2016 event shows more climbing on shorter days overall. I think there's a good case for both drive trains. Just depends on what you feel comfortable with