Cape Epic 2016 Group

Acerunner

22 front and 40 back sounds very radical to me :-)

In my personal experience you need a certain speed above ground to remain stable on your bike when going uphill on a jeeptrack or rocky terrain in general. Also it might get difficult to keep your front wheel on the ground when it gets very steep.

IMHO 24/36 is most sufficient - if not there is no shame in walking a section...

TBH I have not had any issues with my current 24-36 setup I am just thinking the climbs at the Epic are much bigger than what I have been riding and there are more of them so I was looking at this as a leg saving setup. Maybe I will just put the 22 on upfront.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TBH I have not had any issues with my current 24-36 setup I am just thinking the climbs at the Epic are much bigger than what I have been riding and there are more of them so I was looking at this as a leg saving setup. Maybe I will just put the 22 on upfront.

As someone said here before, gear choices depend on your fitness and weigth. I will be riding as a grand master, weight 78 kilo (by the start of the race, I hope) and (hope again) to finish mid GC. I'm riding with ten speed 38-24 and 11-40 cassette. In 2014 I rode the same bike but with 11-36 cassette and that was ok, but hope the 40-cog will help me to keep on pedaling on some the steeper hills.

Do you use a chain guide and if yes which one?

I'm considering a chain guide but only if it's light

no need for one, never had a chain come off, touch wood!

As someone said here before, gear choices depend on your fitness and weigth. I will be riding as a grand master, weight 78 kilo (by the start of the race, I hope) and (hope again) to finish mid GC. I'm riding with ten speed 38-24 and 11-40 cassette. In 2014 I rode the same bike but with 11-36 cassette and that was ok, but hope the 40-cog will help me to keep on pedaling on some the steeper hills.

What rear deralleur are you using?m medium or long cage?

I am planning on riding in some of the areas the route will be covering in the next few weeks.

Has anyone seen a route map of sorts for each stage? The epic site only shows the elevation profile and a brief description, but no map.

Can anyone point me to some more detailed info?

You're not supposed to be on the route for training because a lot of it is on private property. The public sectors no problem. Just look at the route description grab a map and mark the obvious sections.

Then join the dots

You're not supposed to be on the route for training because a lot of it is on private property. The public sectors no problem. Just look at the route description grab a map and mark the obvious sections.

Then join the dots

Thanks will try that, am aware of staying off private property.

Rode with 2 x 10 this year, next year, my new bike is 1 x specific. Can't say it's not playing on my mind. Either 11-42 or 10-42.... most probably a 30 on the front.

This year my partner ran a 30 x 10-42, he spun out quiet often. Thinks it even hurt his knees. Had no problems on the climbs.

Now next year is shorter but more climbing so I'm thinking more important to have 30 x 42 than a 32 x 10.

Rode a 32 front with 10-42 this year, only place I kakked off a bit was the last day on Paardeberg climb in the middle somewhere.

Rode a 32 front with 10-42 this year, only place I kakked off a bit was the last day on Paardeberg climb in the middle somewhere.

I think EVERONE kakked up there.

I think EVERONE kakked up there.

That was the hardest climb of whole Epic...started out nicely...then when you thought you were at the top you had a short k@k decent then a nice walk up again!

What rear deralleur are you using?m medium or long cage?

Guy, I ride bikes only - don't have a clue. 

I am planning on riding in some of the areas the route will be covering in the next few weeks.

Has anyone seen a route map of sorts for each stage? The epic site only shows the elevation profile and a brief description, but no map.

Can anyone point me to some more detailed info?

Welvan pas farm in Wellington is on the Epic route and is well marked, with various options. You could have a good 4 hours of fun there.

Guy, I ride bikes only - don't have a clue. 

I am convinced that the fact you ride bikes has nothing to do with you not having a clue.... :)

That was the hardest climb of whole Epic...started out nicely...then when you thought you were at the top you had a short k@k decent then a nice walk up again!

I don't mind a climb that is so steep that everyone has to walk. all of us in the same boat suits me down to the ground.

I have a problem with climbs that some people around me are riding, and I need to walk. The ego is a unfathomable beast.....

I don't mind a climb that is so steep that everyone has to walk. all of us in the same boat suits me down to the ground.

I have a problem with climbs that some people around me are riding, and I need to walk. The ego is a unfathomable beast.....

True words!!