Cape Epic 2016 Group

Acerunner

I'm running an XTR crank with 40/28 Rings, and a Praxis 11/40 cassette.

What a pleasure. Nice big gear to push on the flats and a nice leg saving 28.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good choice.  I will be running 38/24 with 11-36.  The last epic I discovered that 26 front with 36 rear was @ times to hard to turn over, especially when the inclines are over 25%

If you feel you can utilise a 36 front ring with an 11 tooth sprocket then sure 1 x 11 may require you to make some compromises. Then a 24 little ring makes the 36 tooth sprocket into a great granny if you plan on being that blown. The 2016 event shows more climbing on shorter days overall. I think there's a good case for both drive trains. Just depends on what you feel comfortable with

I have actually been spun out using 38x11 on several stages - not hugely critical at all - bur it would be nice to have a fraction more and less than 24/38 and a 36/11 sprocket can give you - thus I am currently thinking a 42/11 sprocket and 26/39 at the front will give me that - still need to do the calculation on that and see if it can be hung together.

Good choice.  I will be running 38/24 with 11-36.  The last epic I discovered that 26 front with 36 rear was @ times to hard to turn over, especially when the inclines are over 25%

Thats my eperience too - looking at my partners 22/36 occasionally with some envy.....

Question for previous riders, but also newbies. What are the thoughts on doing this Epic on a 1x11 setup?

The 32 x 10/42 is the best set up in my opinion. I'm in the Grandmaster category, 82 kgs ( could lose about 6), did a 7 hour Atta before Epic 2014 and was a mid pack Epic finisher, to give some context to my opinion. 

The problem with asking opinions from the general body of Hubbers is they are all different weights and levels of fitness, so without some background, it's difficult to know what to make of the differing opinions.

I will be doing Epic with that combo next year. If I don't do my usual overtraining trick.... ^_^

I'm using a Praxis 11/40 cassette as well. But only for one month so far and happy with it. Have you been riding it for a longer period and are you happy with the durability? I'm asking because the delivery of the cassette took nearly one month and if I want to install a new one for the Epic, I should not wait too long ordering it.

I'm using a Praxis 11/40 cassette as well. But only for one month so far and happy with it. Have you been riding it for a longer period and are you happy with the durability? I'm asking because the delivery of the cassette took nearly one month and if I want to install a new one for the Epic, I should not wait too long ordering it.

Ordered mine from EvoBikes and it took 3 days from order to delivery. (Cape Town to Jhb) Haven't done enough milage to judge yet 

The 32 x 10/42 is the best set up in my opinion. I'm in the Grandmaster category, 82 kgs ( could lose about 6), did a 7 hour Atta before Epic 2014 and was a mid pack Epic finisher, to give some context to my opinion. 

The problem with asking opinions from the general body of Hubbers is they are all different weights and levels of fitness, so without some background, it's difficult to know what to make of the differing opinions.

I will be doing Epic with that combo next year. If I don't do my usual overtraining trick.... ^_^

Do you use a chain guide and if yes which one?

I'm considering a chain guide but only if it's light

Ordered mine from EvoBikes and it took 3 days from order to delivery. (Cape Town to Jhb) Haven't done enough milage to judge yet 

Living in Belgium, hotbed of all things cycling, is not always a guarantee of smooth delivery (Praxis needs to be shipped from Germany).

Firstly let me admit to not knowing much at all about gearing and gear ratios etc. 

I currently ride a triple crank 42/32/24t with a 11-36 XT cassette, 

From what I am reading here a X2 setup would give me an easier climbing gear? If I were to go with a 36/22t with an 11-40 cassette is this correct?

Have a look at the Rapidé options now.... Just in time for Christmas. [emoji6]

I'm using a 32 x 10/42. I might have to go smaller at the front because my partner is convinced he needs a 30 and currently I cant stick with him on the climbs.

Firstly let me admit to not knowing much at all about gearing and gear ratios etc. 

I currently ride a triple crank 42/32/24t with a 11-36 XT cassette, 

From what I am reading here a X2 setup would give me an easier climbing gear? If I were to go with a 36/22t with an 11-40 cassette is this correct?

Correct - your low gear would be significantly lower - BUT your top speed will take a huge dive.... depends what you want to achieve...

There are some nice gear calculators out there for you to play with to see the results - I always look at speed at 90rpm to see the difference.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/ is the one I use most.

Could I not just put a 22t on my current setup that way I would have a 22t/ 36t and if I change my cassette to the Praxis works 11-40 then I would have a wide spread gear selection

I currently run a Shimano M980 crank 

Food for thought:

On the last day of W2W my partner hit a rock with his front chainring. Running a 1x11 setup, this meant game over for him.

Not sure if the Cape Epic tech zones stock chain rings. 

I personally will run 38/24 front with a 11/36 cassette. I used a 11-34 cassette during the 2014 Epic which was also fine. I just feel better nowadays to go uphill with a higher cadence.

Could I not just put a 22t on my current setup that way I would have a 22t/ 36t and if I change my cassette to the Praxis works 11-40 then I would have a wide spread gear selection

I currently run a Shimano M980 crank 

22 front and 40 back sounds very radical to me :-)

In my personal experience you need a certain speed above ground to remain stable on your bike when going uphill on a jeeptrack or rocky terrain in general. Also it might get difficult to keep your front wheel on the ground when it gets very steep.

IMHO 24/36 is most sufficient - if not there is no shame in walking a section...