The I-Team

tombeej

Name                                     947 (2014)                            PB                    

BarefootDave

Basil Brush

bmw1za

bored_girl

BouncingBrain                                                         Shova 3:19

Cadre                                      3:28                           TD 3:17

Carpet

CASSIE1975

Diggers

Dirt De Vil

doeffels

Cav

doeffels

Craig 26

Fat Boab                                 03:40                        Satellite Classic (80km) 02:50.

eddyr

Firozfx                                      3:33                          R4V 3:07

HappyMartin                                                              Shova 3:11

Lurch                                        3:35                           Capital Classic 2015 3:31

monkey on a bianchi               3:12                             R4V 3:14

morne1600

Patchelicious

Prince

Rob K                                        3:14

Rob Mortimer

Ryan's dad.                               3:28.                          2:57

Sandro                                     3:25

shaper

ScottC-M                                  3:40                            TD  3:07

StevieL                                     3:15                            TD 2:46

tombeej                                    2:58                            TD 2:39

wernerhp                                  3:40

Wez-O

Zaskar

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the I team will do well. Even the guys and girls that can't keep up to the pace for the whole route will still do well as long as they regroup with riders that dropped earlier than them. The key is to work together and if the riders that dropped can regroup in bunches of 3-4 at least, they will have enough people to share the work load to keep a constant pace for the remainder of the race and won't lose to much time over the main bunch.

My rear shifter broke as we headed into town last year. I lost a lot of time standing next to the road trying to shift my chain up to the middle of the cassette so that I can just use my front chainrings but it didn't work well. From there on it was a slow grind to the finish but I still managed a 3h05min.  

I think the I team will do well. Even the guys and girls that can't keep up to the pace for the whole route will still do well as long as they regroup with riders that dropped earlier than them. The key is to work together and if the riders that dropped can regroup in bunches of 3-4 at least, they will have enough people to share the work load to keep a constant pace for the remainder of the race and won't lose to much time over the main bunch.

My rear shifter broke as we headed into town last year. I lost a lot of time standing next to the road trying to shift my chain up to the middle of the cassette so that I can just use my front chainrings but it didn't work well. From there on it was a slow grind to the finish but I still managed a 3h05min.  

Nail, head, hit!

Another reason why the yellow cable-tie & modified number is such a good idea...

I'm going to see the doc this morning. I think I've got tonsillitis - not feeling great.

Based on what the doc says, and how I feel early tomorrow morning when I wake up, I'll make a call then as to whether I make the drive to JHB or not.

Will be absolutely gutted if I don't make this thing.

I'm going to see the doc this morning. I think I've got tonsillitis - not feeling great.

Based on what the doc says, and how I feel early tomorrow morning when I wake up, I'll make a call then as to whether I make the drive to JHB or not.

:eek:

Another way to look at it. This bunch now has 35-40 riders. If each one does a 1min pull at the front they will have 35-40min to recover and rest and hang on. 

I don't want to mess up the team dynamics here but I'd say that the weaker riders should let the stronger riders do the pulling for the first part of the race which will leave the weaker riders fresher for the latter part of the race and they will still be able to ride/finish with the group

Just my 2c though. 

Another way to look at it. This bunch now has 35-40 riders. If each one does a 1min pull at the front they will have 35-40min to recover and rest and hang on. 

I don't want to mess up the team dynamics here but I'd say that the weaker riders should let the stronger riders do the pulling for the first part of the race which will leave the weaker riders fresher for the latter part of the race and they will still be able to ride/finish with the group

Just my 2c though. 

Yip, agreed.

But also, here's a golden opportunity for people who have not had the opportunity to be in a proper pace line before, rolling turns on the front, in a race situation.

They've got this great chance to learn from the experienced racers in the bunch, watch how they ride and emulate their actions. They have a great opportunity to roll turns, make mistakes and get some advice - without being yelled at or at the risk of being attacked and spat out. 

If I was one of these folks, I would be so up for the idea of getting involved and learning stacks along the way.

Even if you go to the front just a few times in the whole race, just the feeling of going up and rolling a few turns will be such a buzz. Racing in a rolling pace line that's motoring is exhilarating & nerve-wracking at the same time, and will make you want to come back for more.

Oh, and it will make you sooo much better as a bike racer going forward.

Drown the germs in alcohol!

Drown the germs in alcohol!

Oh no!  All that planning, training and motivation down the tubes!  Hope he says you're okay.  Maybe one M19 too many???

Ok guys we all need to speak to someone in authority !

Well bud if the doc say no, don't push yourself. You have laid the foundation here and there are enough numbers coupled with V8 engines to pick up and push the dream of I Team over the line!

Who's the Vice Captain? Someone will need to get the troops together ekse!

Siesta at lunchtime for you! Get some recovery rest!

You can't have tonsillitus after all this effort! That's not cricket bru!

That sucks, hope you can make it after all of this.

Not good - hope you get well (very quickly).