New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Or you simply download the “Brisbane Bin” app and you can quickly check.

I’ve heard and quite sure I’ve read it on the council website that it is illegal to scavenge from the sidewalk on bulk item collection rounds. I doubt it’s strictly enforced based on the number of utes etc coming through during that period.

There's an app for everything ? The youth of today have it easy, now in my day we had real first world problems. :)

For strictly enforced on scavenging I think read "ever enforced", those utes are like flocks of vultures circling the streets on that first weekend before scheduled pick-up. I think the higher the property values of the suburb the more of them get tempted to come in the hopes of striking it lucky with rich peoples disposals.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. I don’t have a ute (yet), but I do have a lot of furniture I need :)

Most of its pretty well worn by the time its tossed out. But all through the year you will see people put big ticket items out in the hopes that someone will take them and save them the hassle of a dump trip.

Occasionally you get the community newspaper reports along the lines of "I just left my mower outside for a few minutes whilst I had a drink and now someones taken it" as people mistakenly think that anything on the grass verge is up for grabs.

On the topic of litter... another first-world-problem whinge I had the other day was when I had to pay $34 to get rid of 2x motorcycle tyres at landfill.

$17 per motorcycle tyre seems pretty steep to me! Doesn't exactly discourage people from littering.

Take them to the local tyre shop, $5 apiece (in my town, anyway), and that was for 19 inch 315s...

In Oz we get coupons from the council to dump, but have weekly refuse collection at home too. NZ seems pretty costly in many respects, especially food and fuel

And rates. Our rates are flippen expensive, at around $800 a quarter in the countryside. I hate to imagine what Auckland rates are...

............I know in Sydney the councils have a few set weeks each year when people can leave unwanted items (like old appliances, furniture, etc) out on the kerb. Neighbors then bargain hunt and council removes the remainder...................

Aaag that's nothing, us Saffas are waaaaaay ahead on this thing.

We have private entrepeneurs who collect furniture, appliances and electronics every day of the year, including weekends and after hours and they sommer collect it from INSIDE your house, whether you are home or not, they still do their job. They are so good at what they do, little obstacles like vicious dogs, burglar bars, electric fences, high walls and razor wire don't stand in their way of delivering their service. There is no need to call them, they just show up, also no need pay them, your insurance will pick up the bill. 

:blush:  :( 

And rates. Our rates are flippen expensive, at around $800 a quarter in the countryside. I hate to imagine what Auckland rates are...

That's actually pretty high.

Middle-upper Auckland properties (around the $1.25m mark, 3 bed, 2 bath, 120m sq, 400m sq land, decent suburb etc) are around the $2900 mark.

Aaag that's nothing, us Saffas are waaaaaay ahead on this thing.

We have private entrepeneurs who collect furniture, appliances and electronics every day of the year, including weekends and after hours and they sommer collect it from INSIDE your house, whether you are home or not, they still do their job. They are so good at what they do, little obstacles like vicious dogs, burglar bars, electric fences, high walls and razor wire don't stand in their way of delivering their service. There is no need to call them, they just show up, also no need pay them, your insurance will pick up the bill. 

:blush:  :( 

Now THAT is service!

Can I refer a friend? He stays out in the rural area of Matini, northern KZN. This might be a tricky job as he has substantial "security" upgrades to his property. But I'm sure these professionals you mention can assist with some furniture removal.

Lats week I was lucky enough to spend some time riding down in Canterbury.

Here are some pics from the surrounds...

post-10758-0-56167800-1556485534_thumb.png

Starting out in Christchurch I rode west along the Waimak river trails until I hit the gorge. Then down towards Windwhistle (it has earned its name), and Rakaia Gorge, hopping off the main road onto trails at every oportunity. Then it was north-west past Lake Coleridge into the Wilberforce Valley, pretty deep into the Southern Alps. Finally I back-tracked out of the valley down towards Methven for the night.

post-10758-0-92020500-1556485845_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-19239600-1556485881_thumb.jpg

Rakaia Gorge never fails to amaze. The water is so clear. A fair amount of jet-boating and horse trekking activities ere going on at the time.

post-10758-0-27836700-1556486059_thumb.jpg

A view of Rakaia Gorge from Zig-Zag road as I head towards Lake Coleridge

post-10758-0-22419200-1556486195_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-14835400-1556486216_thumb.jpg

Lake Coleridge in the distance, nestled in the hills.

post-10758-0-28751600-1556486322_thumb.jpg

A quick stop at the viewing point on the north end of the lake.

post-10758-0-95545100-1556486425_thumb.jpg

Then follow the canal towards into the Wilberforce Valley

post-10758-0-16890600-1556486481_thumb.jpg

The entrance into the Wilberforce Valley...

Now comes the disclaimer...

I nearly Alexander Supertramped myself on this part of the adventure (the part circled in magenta on on the map).

There were 4 maps on my GPS all with very similar names. My intention was to go around Lake Coleridge and down the Southern end. Maybe I was enjoying the riding too much. Maybe I just don't read too good. Either way... I loaded the wrong map and set off  :ph34r:

The full Wilberforce Challenge Route is a 4-5 day trip. The valley section alone is 8hrs in, 8hrs out. Approx 40km each way. Here's the Safety guide online:

post-10758-0-42551900-1556487145_thumb.png

With my 1 banana, 500ml of water, half a tank of fuel, no cellphone signal, tent, or PLB (emergency beacon)... I was not ready for it at all...

But in ignorance I proceeded anyway  :ph34r:

I don't have many pics from this part of the ride. Only about 8min of GoPro footage, but here are 2 still from that.

post-10758-0-96532600-1556487373_thumb.jpg

Rocks... Rocks everywhere. A huge portion of this track involves picking ones way through a giant rock garden. This was still near the beginning, so fairly easy. It got worse as I went upstream.

post-10758-0-44429600-1556487501_thumb.jpg

Wet boots. One can't ride in braided river country and not get their feet wet. There was plenty of river crossing as I weaved my way up. Certain parts had extremely slippery algae and steep pebble banks to climb out of. Luckily no swimming for me and the bike.

As I was about 40% of the way up the valley, I could see one of the aforementioned huts in the distance. Initially I didn't think anything of it, but after another 45min or so of hard slog I started questioning my route choice.

post-10758-0-90681900-1556488001_thumb.png

In the end I got myself to approximately the yellow X. Stopped. Checked my fuel, and decided to load up ALL the Wilberforce GPX files I had. It was at that point that I realized that I ducked-up!  :eek: 

Having no way of contacting the outside world, having minimal food and fuel, and not really being equipped for an unplanned night in the alps, I had a mini-panic attack.

I then put my helmet back on. Turned my bike around. And tried to harness the power of Graeme Jarvis so I could get out of that valley as quickly as possible, with minimal mistakes, hahaha :lol:

Quite honestly I had one of the best adrenaline fueled rides of my life. I don't want to repeat it again... well not under those circumstances anyway, but man it was fun and scary at the same time.

Based on the fact that I am typing this now, yes I did manage to get out before dark....

and yes... I have learnt my lesson about double-checking that the correct maps are being used  :ph34r: :lol:

Wishing I was there!  :thumbup: Maybe with a flyrod thrown in as well :) Adventure is always priceless!

Edited by DJR