New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

That's more like the real story.

During that whole World Cup Lomu not once got around, through or over Small, that's of course if my memory serves me right. :) But then I'm a very bad TV spectator, with a poor rugby knowledge and an even worse memory, so i fully expect some sharpie to post a video shortly to prove me wrong :blush:

(My father jokingly threatened to disown me for being such a bad rugby fan, but it is his fault. As a young kid he took me to my first international game during the 1970something Lions tour and we lost 100 nil. I never quite recovered from that game of kick offs and tries between the posts.) 

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

..........and there I always thought Lomu never fully recovered from getting tackled so often and never getting past a guy so Small.  :whistling:  ;)

2 blokes shooting the breeze, mutual respect like this is rare!

During that whole World Cup Lomu not once got around, through or over Small, that's of course if my memory serves me right. :) But then I'm a very bad TV spectator, with a poor rugby knowledge and an even worse memory, so i fully expect some sharpie to post a video shortly to prove me wrong :blush:

(My father jokingly threatened to disown me for being such a bad rugby fan, but it is his fault. As a young kid he took me to my first international game during the 1970something Lions tour and we lost 100 nil. I never quite recovered from that game of kick offs and tries between the posts.) 

We were living in the Botswana bush building the Airforce Base.We had MNET and we all went to watch it at my mates house and he was a Pom.The rest of the crowd were Kiwis and Poms and I was the only Saffer.I got such stick up until we started taking Lomu down.From then on it got better and better.Were all vrot by the end of the game.Drinking Zambezis.We brought it in by the truck load

Some bad and ugly.... crooks are bloody crooks.

Chris Birch van broken into and all his bike adventure gear stolen. Area: Palmerston North

There is niggly theft that happens particularly with stuff left in vans on roads e.g. tradie vans with tools...  

Edited by davetapson

During that whole World Cup Lomu not once got around, through or over Small, that's of course if my memory serves me right. :)

My brain tells me that Small made that commitment to himself, but that he (Small) was never the same again.  Maybe Lomu too.

My brain tells me a lot of stuff tho'.

Edit: I didn't know he'd died. Happened after we left.

Edited by davetapson

My brain tells me that Small made that commitment to himself, but that he (Small) was never the same again. Maybe Lomu too.

My brain tells me a lot of stuff tho'.

Edit: I didn't know he'd died. Happened after we left.

It was a team strategy where there would always be two on him and to squeeze him to the touch line

This put pressure on Lomu and eventually resulted in errors

James was fine

He was a remarkable man

Met him on a flight to Durban when he was traveling backwards and forwards

There was a bunch of school kids on the flight and when we landed thats all he was interested in as he was mobbed

Which, of course, obviously, leads to a good [emoji846]

DOC mountain huts. They're all over the place, cheap or free, generally well maintained (by you, when you stay there) and you don't have to leave someone awake to stop having your boots stolen by the Suth's.

Where I was last w/e when I heard about this lockdown... free.

Somebody in the hut book had been coming here for 40 years.

A bad/good: they get to build their history with a place, we get to start ours.

5ad5697855590c1f124feeea867431cf.jpg0e0c31ac225a357d0a5c1a54055ce598.jpg4d48aefd1ea5d13450e4a867d9c73c9f.jpg7cd3e9b029c2e4fa5e15bf26a0e6660b.jpg

My cousin from Nelson has just used them and they are infested with bugs

It was a team strategy where there would always be two on him and to squeeze him to the touch line

This put pressure on Lomu and eventually resulted in errors

James was fine

He was a remarkable man

Met him on a flight to Durban when he was traveling backwards and forwards

There was a bunch of school kids on the flight and when we landed thats all he was interested in as he was mobbed

In the video they discuss that the strategy was for Small to stand wide and drive Lomu in-field, towards the support. James did well, it was when they were young but Lomu had almost 10yrs on James age wise.

Wonder how those hits to their body impacted their relatively early demise? Similar to boxing I would imagine.

Which, of course, obviously, leads to a good [emoji846]

DOC mountain huts. They're all over the place, cheap or free, generally well maintained (by you, when you stay there) and you don't have to leave someone awake to stop having your boots stolen by the Suth's.

Where I was last w/e when I heard about this lockdown... free.

Somebody in the hut book had been coming here for 40 years.

A bad/good: they get to build their history with a place, we get to start ours.

5ad5697855590c1f124feeea867431cf.jpg0e0c31ac225a357d0a5c1a54055ce598.jpg4d48aefd1ea5d13450e4a867d9c73c9f.jpg7cd3e9b029c2e4fa5e15bf26a0e6660b.jpg

We have our fair share if hiking trails.The best in the world I believe.Here is a sample of Swellies on the third day.Protea Valley and hut,which is typical of a twelve sleeper found on many of our hiking trails

post-523-0-17298000-1614871596_thumb.jpg

post-523-0-61066600-1614871624_thumb.jpg

post-523-0-95300700-1614871642_thumb.jpg

We have our fair share if hiking trails.The best in the world I believe.Here is a sample of Swellies on the third day.Protea Valley and hut,which is typical of a twelve sleeper found on many of our hiking trails

SA has exceptional hiking trails - one of the annoyances I had with living there was that could not use them with a sense of security.  Fantastic resource, can't feel safe using them.

SA has exceptional hiking trails - one of the annoyances I had with living there was that could not use them with a sense of security.  Fantastic resource, can't feel safe using them.

We used to do the Blyde Canyon as a child. Start at God's window and then end up at Bourke's luck. Absolutely amazing experiences. I think parts of it are now closed because of various incidents. One German tourist had his hand cut off for failing to deliver his watch with the appropriate alacrity. It is terrible. Here is Aussie there are lots of hikes though :), but as someone else has commented, you miss the broader variety of wildlife. You will never come across a troupe of baboons, or startle some buck.

We used to do the Blyde Canyon as a child. Start at God's window and then end up at Bourke's luck. Absolutely amazing experiences. I think parts of it are now closed because of various incidents. One German tourist had his hand cut off for failing to deliver his watch with the appropriate alacrity. It is terrible. Here is Aussie there are lots of hikes though :), but as someone else has commented, you miss the broader variety of wildlife. You will never come across a troupe of baboons, or startle some buck.

I'll take the safety over the wildlife every single time. I used to to a lot of hiking in the 'berg, but stopped after some security incidents with Basutho drug traffickers in Ndedema Gorge. Amazing part of the world, but if you can't use it safely it's wasted...