New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

So we had our citizenship ceremony yesterday afternoon. Pretty heartwarming and amazing experience, they go to a lot of trouble, with speeches from the mayor, deputy mayor, a number of town councillors in attendance. They put on food and drink and the mayor (who we've met several times before, walking his dogs) and his Mrs make  point of personally congratulating and having a chat with each person. Got to give a small speech too, which was kinda nice, about the journey to citizenship.

Along with the certificate, each person got a gift of a hardcover book and a potted manuka plant as mementos of the day.

A long journey to be sure, and one fraught with challenges, but worth it in the end. Next step, for there is always a next step, is applying for our NZ passports - which all happens online, of course, and should take about a week. 

Congrats D.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, Patches, check yourself before you wreck yourself, the story making headlines about magpies bothering MTBers is well in the South Island :P

Heh, Patches, check yourself before you wreck yourself, the story making headlines about magpies bothering MTBers is well in the South Island :P

hahaha, that's Timaru, it's like the dark place that Mufasa pointed out to Simba. We don't go there!

To be honest though, it has been about 2.5 months since I last got on a bicycle  :ph34r: , and magpies seem to avoid the sound dirt bikes

Thanks guys, appreciate it. When your time comes, I am sure that like me, you will be made to feel very special by other Kiwis formally embracing you as one of their own.

In other magpie news, check this out:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/84702266/magpies-attack-mountainbikers-in-timarus-scenic-reserve

"It never made contact but it flicked its wings together giving me a fright."

You Zealanders are a tough bunch!

He he he.

Edited by Odinson

And you killing it is any better? Bees often sting people (which could be fatal sometimes), but does that now give everyone free reign to decimate the bee population?  

Respect the right to life and the will to live of other beings and rather manage the situation by either avoiding the area or take steps to prevent an incident.

Bees do the honourable thing and die after they sting. Magpies sadly never got that memo...

I've enjoyed this (long) thread and unbeknown it actually planted a seed. A friend of mine is going back to NZ in a few years time and he mentioned how trivial it was to get in, well for our industry.

Already started doing my homework. I've got an itch to live and work somewhere else for a couple of years. My first two options are no longer looking attractive (apparently being 40 in San Francisco makes you unemployable and thank you Brexit). So NZ is now my choice.

Thinking of going over some time next year and check things out myself. 

Congrats Intern. It's all a plooi though. They feed you the Kool Aid. Now the Mayor knows your details and will make sure that you pay your taxes... no comic sans on my Chinese phone...

Haha thanks CAAD4, from being a complete toerag back in the day I've become a real middle class grump who frowns at young hooligans revving engines. And pays all taxes etc.

Boring, but reliable.

Good onya Chris Brunsdon, best wishes for the mission.

After this last week of shjt. I've decided my Horti education is better used elsewhere. Eeeek!

Come grow some kiwifruit. Met a young Zimbo a few months ago who came over to work on a mate of mine's orchards up in Patumahoe. Horts do well here - there's apples, berries (other than kiwifruit), lettuce and brassica, stonefruit, and all kinds of other plants and things.

And, especially this spring, a lot, like an effing LOT of rain. Sheez! haha.

Come grow some kiwifruit. Met a young Zimbo a few months ago who came over to work on a mate of mine's orchards up in Patumahoe. Horts do well here - there's apples, berries (other than kiwifruit), lettuce and brassica, stonefruit, and all kinds of other plants and things.

And, especially this spring, a lot, like an effing LOT of rain. Sheez! haha.

Bring it on. I'm prepared to start at the bottom. It won't take me long to move forward. When work is passion and all that.

Bring it on. I'm prepared to start at the bottom. It won't take me long to move forward. When work is passion and all that.

Maybe you should send me a PM, I have a lot of friends in kiwifruit and berries (and a few dairy farmers), might be able to help connect you.