Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

19 hours ago, Frosty said:

Yes, I have (in 2016 - 2019).
I always got back about 50% more than the annual service fee, which made it worth it. I do those events anyway, so as long as I get more back, it's worth going for.

Now that it's only 50% (if signed up on/before 31/01/2022), it's worth it for half the number of races required. For me, Ride4Sight, Emperors Classic, 947 and Amashova would give me close to R800 back compared to the R495 sign up fee. Petty change, but the nett result funds my 947 entry.

Okay nice. Will try and find a list of all the races the give discount on. 

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, M L said:

Okay nice. Will try and find a list of all the races the give discount on. 

I found the list wasn’t updated. I would claim for every race I did, whether it paid or not.

On 1/26/2022 at 2:19 PM, madmarc said:

Thanks guys - You all contributed to my new level of Disco education. As soon as this gout attack leaves my foot and I can walk, I be visiting SWH to claw back some ronds from vitality

Okay so I thought I'd give some feedback - It worked perfect 👌

I pulled the trigger on the POLAR H10 thanks @Frosty for that bit of advice - I did some reading up and it seems POLAR at the price was a far better option than the GARMIN - PRO.

Price in store = R1 799.99

25% off gear - R 449.98

Existing voucher i had - R 250.00

Disco miles - R 646.00

total paid in R 453.92

I could have got another 64 ronds off if i applied the miles discount of 10%.

So the clawback = R 1 345.98

Thanks once again for the help &  advice, much appreciated 🤙

7 hours ago, madmarc said:

I pulled the trigger on the POLAR H10

There's another benefit to using the Polar H10, which the Garmin can do too, but trends show the Polar is more reliable with less noise (aka artifacts). You can measure detrended fluctuation analysis (DFA) live, while riding. It helps you set the upper limit for those "easy rides".

• edit: this works well until you can "feel" what easy should be. Getting a sense for the feel is the goal, so one doesn't have to watch the data while riding. 😉

What is DFA a1?
In simple terms, DFA-alpha1 of 0.75 represents the aerobic threshold. Values above 0.75 indicate low intensity exercise, while values below 0.75 indicate moderate to high-intensity exercise.

[snip]

Adding in DFA-alpha1 to your low intensity rides is relatively easy (especially indoors on a trainer). Determining your aerobic threshold using either power (Watts) or HR (bpm) lets you set the upper limit for your low intensity/recovery rides. This sort of test will be different than an FTP or ramp test since it will not be a maximal effort.

https://pezcyclingnews.com/toolbox/how-to-use-heart-rate-variability-during-training/

Bikehub has a whole thread dedicated to HRV, and is a hot topic at the moment, especially for the data geeks. While it should be used in conjunction with feel and other metrics, it's a good start to ensure you're in the right zone (when taking it easy). As soon as the live value goes below 0.75, you know you're going too hard.

Edited by Frosty
Add the edit: bit

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

Anyone know where to get the updated race calendar for team vitality? Website still showing 2021 events.

and how and where do you send(assuming email) the race entry.

If it’s Racetec, the get the results automatically. If not there’s a event claim process in the app/online.

Heads up too those meeting your weekly goals.

Vitality is having a weekly Teams challenge, where if your teams meets the weekly goal, you get an extra play on the game board.

Generate your "friends"code in the app, and get sharing. It could be 750 miles that you get.
If my mates don't make it, I won't hesitate to cut them from the team in exchange for others that do.

https://www.discovery.co.za/vitality/vitality-active-rewards-teams-challenge?fbclid=IwAR2n0OVoTTGi6obczQYSs2uj1B0TOEnjUakzIkCh1bRo4B8sXefFhlH49Vs

the goal has to be under 2500 per week, so it needs a few "friends" that have a low goal currently. As the week's change, so you can change your team accordingly.

Terms and Conditions

Edited by Frosty

So my team goal is 2500, which means I can have:

Me - 600
3 others - 600
1 other - 100

My problem is that I don't have many friends with a low target, almost everyone is on 600. Once you go over 2500 you don't qualify for prizes. Obviously this is to get the inactive active.

Who's in?

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

Me - 600
3 others - 600
1 other - 100

My problem is that I don't have many friends with a low target, almost everyone is on 600. Once you go over 2500 you don't qualify for prizes. Obviously this is to get the inactive active.

Who's in?

My goal is 600, not sure if that helps. PM if you want to add me.

On 2/1/2022 at 7:57 PM, Frosty said:

Me - 600
3 others - 600
1 other - 100

Who's in?

well, yeah... what a crock. I'm on 1700 for the week so far, and I feel it's been a slow one. my team's on 5650.  i'm confused what disco is trying to achieve

6 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

well, yeah... what a crock. I'm on 1700 for the week so far, and I feel it's been a slow one. my team's on 5650.  i'm confused what disco is trying to achieve

They're trying to get the inactive to be more active. The 2500 goal they've set is for the 5 in the team's goal points, not the actual your team gets.

You can't have 5 people with 600 point goals, as they are already meeting or exceeding the weekly goals. Your team needs to have someone whose goal is below 600, eg. 4x600 + 1x100, or 3x600 and a mix of 100, 200, 300 to get to 2500.

2 minutes ago, Frosty said:

They're trying to get the inactive to be more active. The 2500 goal they've set is for the 5 in the team's goal points, not the actual your team gets.

You can't have 5 people with 600 point goals, as they are already meeting or exceeding the weekly goals. Your team needs to have someone whose goal is below 600, eg. 4x600 + 1x100, or 3x600 and a mix of 100, 200, 300 to get to 2500.

Too much admin for one extra play. It will also limit the more active people to do less for example if you meet the 600 you need to stop or do rides and not upload them. Think I'll pass.

Also, didn't they recently say your points goal will start going up from 600 soon? Which would make it even more difficult to wangle this team play.

Can't find the mail now, so perhaps I'm mistaken

1 minute ago, HdB said:

Also, didn't they recently say your points goal will start going up from 600 soon? Which would make it even more difficult to wangle this team play.

Can't find the mail now, so perhaps I'm mistaken

Correct!

4 minutes ago, Frosty said:

ah! you make it very clear unlike their marketing blurb. and since points targets are going up from next week, this will make it harder. I don't know anyone with a goal of 100 - even my blind friend gets her steps in daily