Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

I particularly enjoy this comment...obviously pro's are going to take advise from a CEO on how to train best.....

But ultra-fit members' heart rates are lower during exercise.

"Elite athletes can continue to earn Vitality fitness points, but may need to change their training plan to shorter, more frequent, higher-intensity workouts," Viranna said.

sports science genius this guy!!!

can wait for his training and diet book

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As if elite athletes on training plans will change their training programs to suit discovery lol

ja but CA's don't work in any case so they can afford the downtime  :ph34r:

Had to make half my rides private on strava otherwise people ask quuestions ;P

Wendy Knowler on Disco case today. Unethical scam artists is what she says.

http://www.rdm.co.za/business/2016/05/16/the-moving-goalposts-of-rewards-programmes

Apple watch

Apple watch

Apple watch

Majority of the fuss is over the watch deal, so for now while most are still on or below 600points, the goal is still quite achievable.

Take the Apple watch to a parkrun - 300points

Go to gym 3x a week, train or just swipe - 300points

Cried myself to sleep last night after riding Sani without HR strap. What if I don't make my smoothie this week??

Hehehe

Apple watch

Apple watch

Apple watch

Majority of the fuss is over the watch deal, so for now while most are still on or below 600points, the goal is still quite achievable.

Exactly. The lady she quoted gets 100 points for a gym visit. Put the farking watch on your arm and build up a sweat for 30 minutes and get 300 points. 3 times a week and 1 parkrun and that's 1,200 points.

But I laughed at the guy who raced in 2 provinces.

Apple watch

Apple watch

Apple watch

This from the article .

So while Vitality "will award 100 points for less-verifiable workouts, such as gym visits and steps taken, members using heart-rate monitors can earn between 300 and 3 000 points for a workout".

The bit in bold......not so easy for some.......the so called "scientifically based" formula is also not in line with most literature for suggested and sustainable heart rate based training for long term health.......maybe....and just maybe.......it's not all about the watch for many others......

May have been asked here...

I want to link an apple watch not bought via Discovery. Don't see the apple health option on 'Link Devices or Apps' on the Discovery app.

Seems only thsi option available if linking the app bought via Discovery.

Reading the article a bit more thorough now.....I see only one user being mentioned about her unhappiness ith the apple watch.....she thought "free watch" no it's free if your reach your goals.....dumb thought to begin with.....shifting the goalposts for the reasons below.....laughable.....

But there were those who found ways to cheat their way to the rewards - members swiping their access cards but not working out; husbands and wives recording the identical steps every day of the week; a member claiming Vitality points for completing two different races on the same day in different provinces, and using certain apps that recorded false "workouts".

Many members have now complained that Discovery won't acknowledge the fact that a member might have had an operation or has been very ill......even so far as to members saying that they were told by the call centre to "just swipe at the gym" encouraging their members to cheat....

​Husband and wife could have been training together.......false workouts with no proven screenshots or other proof that this actually did happen.....

But ultra-fit members' heart rates are lower during exercise.

"Elite athletes can continue to earn Vitality fitness points, but may need to change their training plan to shorter, more frequent, higher-intensity workouts," Viranna said.

Wow Discovery......dictate much ?

As Nathrix pointed out........laughable......

"but to get people to commit to a two-year contract on the basis of one set of criteria and then alter it so that they no longer qualify for the full subsidy without altering their behaviour is totally unjustified and unfair, in my view"

Especially when the watch gets a heartbeat when strapped to a banana......get the public to buy a fitness device that records heart rate quite inaccurately.....getting your members to commit to two years of this bogus "fitness device"

I think the noose is tightening......thank heavens I don't have an apple watch........

Imagine if they awarded points for moaning, everyone will have a new MacBook never mind a Apple Watch. 

Bandwagon jumping at its best. Emergency meeting at Disco HQ tonight. 

This from the article .

So while Vitality "will award 100 points for less-verifiable workouts, such as gym visits and steps taken, members using heart-rate monitors can earn between 300 and 3 000 points for a workout".[/color......

The irresistible subtext of that quote: Discovery don't mind being defrauded outta 100 points at a time, but not more than that please!

May have been asked here...

I want to link an apple watch not bought via Discovery. Don't see the apple health option on 'Link Devices or Apps' on the Discovery app.

Seems only this option available if linking the app bought via Discovery.

Anyone that can give a quicker response than Discovery?

Please can anyone help with the above?

Try it on the website. Discovery website under Vitality / linked devices I thing it is.

You can link other devices there but (Garmin, Fitbit, etc.) but not apple. It only gives instructions on how to link apple via the Discovery app.

This from the article .

So while Vitality "will award 100 points for less-verifiable workouts, such as gym visits and steps taken, members using heart-rate monitors can earn between 300 and 3 000 points for a workout".

The bit in bold......not so easy for some.......the so called "scientifically based" formula is also not in line with most literature for suggested and sustainable heart rate based training for long term health.......maybe....and just maybe.......it's not all about the watch for many others......

If tomorrow Discovery says to all their apple watch customers that they no longer have to pay for it, do you think there will still be as much moaning?