Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those with young kids, saw this now when updating the Disco app... not sure, yet, what is entails, but I guess I’ll soon find out. My second one is 4 years old and is eligible.

fa96a023a0bb3cbeeb72c3ebd9bee352.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am very thankfull for this, I have found myself chasing 30min sessions at 80% HR just to make my weekly targets for vitality, instead of doing what is best for my actual training.

If I can knock the weekly targets out of the way I can get back to training the way a training plan has been set up, which might mean 60% of heartrate. Luckily I recently got a power meter, which is way more reliable to pace oneself during sessions, so the HR monitor can be removed once the required AVE HR is reached.

These weekly Vitality targets are probably great for getting inactive people motivated, but it might actually be detrimental to fit people trying to improve. But this has probably been debated on here a gazillion times, at least now we have a workaround.

Brilliant

I don’t get the need to resort to this - the targets are easy to achieve.

Ride sat, sun, and do an hour on the idt on Monday and you are sorted for the week.

Even you do nothing else in the week, you can still easily make up the extra 300 points in steps by Friday.

I am a bad athlete, and a slow heavy rider, but i usually have my 900 points done and dusted by Monday or Tuesday.

Edited by Harryn

Anyone (Myles :whistling: ) know if you can cancel an activated booster benefit?

With Device booster and Bike booster being added this year to the existing Shoe booster benefit, of which you may only have one active at a time, is it possible to cancel an active shoe booster to take up a device booster instead? I see no reason why not as it doesn't cost Vitality anything, they simply stop repaying you every month for the benefit you've cancelled.

Edited by wolver

Wow, never felt the need to cheat to get points.  Honestly these point are not hard to get.  Ive never struggled, not one week.

Got my wife onto it 3 months ago.  She hasnt trained for years and she to date have not missed one and shes up to 900 a week.

Im on the endurance.  Saterdag 600 and sunday 600 week done.  

Loopholes will be closed and the more you talk about them on here the faster it will happen

Anyone (Myles :whistling: ) know if you can cancel an activated booster benefit?

With Device booster and Bike booster being added this year to the existing Shoe booster benefit, of which you may only have one active at a time, is it possible to cancel an active shoe booster to take up a device booster instead? I see no reason why not as it doesn't cost Vitality anything, they simply stop repaying you every month for the benefit you've cancelled.

I don't actually know, tbh... 

that may be a use case bridge too far for those poor people... can't hurt to ask though

Am depressed to find out my current shoe booster only finishes at the beginning of March!!  :thumbdown:

Am depressed to find out my current shoe booster only finishes at the beginning of March!!  :thumbdown:

How did you check this? I want to confirm when mine expires.

Can anyone recommend a cheap device that supports / comes with a heart rate strap, not wrist-based, HR that can link to discovery? I've read a lot about wrist-based not working well for mountain biking, especially when HR is 180+

I'd be looking in the range < R2000 if possible. I have cycle computers already that give me the rest.

Edited by Hilton.

How did you check this? I want to confirm when mine expires.

Phoned Vitality as it does not show it on the website or on the app. Just says active.

I think that you only cheating yourself. I’ve been on this vitality plan for two years. Started out with steps, then a light jog and ended with purchasing my first bike. My first race was the Medihelp 97km and did a 3:36 . I had no training plans, only my weekly points. If I had time I would do 1 hour + sessions and if not I would climbs hills for 30 minutes and I’m sorted. This year I did my second Medihelp in the rain nervous as hell with no brakes and I managed a 2:55 . I can personally say that vitality has taken my Cycling to another level.

Not the best medical aid, definitely the best form of motivation.

Apple Watch and shoe booster end 1st of March, new watch for super mom and Bike booster for me!!

Thanks discovery!

Can anyone recommend a cheap device that supports / comes with a heart rate strap, not wrist-based, HR that can link to discovery? I've read a lot about wrist-based not working well for mountain biking, especially when HR is 180+

I'd be looking in the range < R2000 if possible. I have cycle computers already that give me the rest.

What device do you currently have?

I think that you only cheating yourself. I’ve been on this vitality plan for two years. Started out with steps, then a light jog and ended with purchasing my first bike. My first race was the Medihelp 97km and did a 3:36 . I had no training plans, only my weekly points. If I had time I would do 1 hour + sessions and if not I would climbs hills for 30 minutes and I’m sorted. This year I did my second Medihelp in the rain nervous as hell with no brakes and I managed a 2:55 . I can personally say that vitality has taken my Cycling to another level.

Not the best medical aid, definitely the best form of motivation.

Apple Watch and shoe booster end 1st of March, new watch for super mom and Bike booster for me!!

Thanks discovery!

post-59224-0-44805000-1515567569_thumb.png

I'm a Garmin man.

The cheapest device (I think) is the FP70 which normally sells 2nd hand for about R700.

There was one for sale here some time back but I don't see the ad any more.

It's a running watch but it does have a cycling profile on it and all that you are after is a device that can log HR and time.

Plenty of Forerunner watches in the classifies that will work for you and are under R2k.

If you want new then the Edge 25 sells for R3k on the Garmin website.

Might also be a good idea for Vitality to launch their Device Booster and see what's on there.