Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

2 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Many times when I cycle my Ave HR dips below 60% then I get speed data only on discovery

If you sign up for the "high performance/endurance" option, you get points for lower heart-rate activities - but that comes with an automatic bump in target to 1200 points per week, so not ideal for everyone. The big "win" is that if you do a longer activity, you can earn up to 600 points for a single activity.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

suunto device with wrist HR. goes through to suunto app via phone, syncs to strava and disco pulls it from there. HR data is there on the strava. and obviously works on the running.

consecutive days

should I be getting steps/walking too? sh$%% i never wanted to be this guy following this stuff!!

image.png.ac7e2233b36099ea65ccf82ff92f94cf.png

It should still show HR was below the minimum target and state no qualifying points awarded.

Here’s my view where it shows speed data and HR data. Not sure why both show, as it’s from the same (Garmin(m) device. Points are then awarded for the higher points for the day.

IMG_2077.jpeg.5622fd5f5cb608d743ce5460b7aea32c.jpeg

Edited by Frosty

2 hours ago, Craai said:

So what was your HR for the 2 cycle sessions?

guess this is below 60% then

image.png.f05b07f4332ba9f59ad7b68957aa7149.png

2 hours ago, werty81 said:

If you sign up for the "high performance/endurance" option, you get points for lower heart-rate activities - but that comes with an automatic bump in target to 1200 points per week, so not ideal for everyone. The big "win" is that if you do a longer activity, you can earn up to 600 points for a single activity.

good to know, will try work that out.

Anyone know if they are going to update the Team Vitality calendar for the last quarter. 

just comparing it to last year, there’s hardly any races qualifying for cash back. In 2022, so many more races qualified for cash back. 

20 hours ago, werty81 said:

I am on that high performance thing but if you ride(groupride) and miss the target by 1 BPM, you get the least, I have been on it for probably 5 years not that I am a high performing athlete but it works for me, most week-ends I make my weekly goal in just two days.

On 7/12/2023 at 11:24 AM, Cappi said:

Hi. Looking for some advice please. 

So my eldest turned 18yrs and was kicked of my family Vitality program. He enjoyed the benefit for the discounted gym membership with Virgin active and movies. 
Anyone have tips on what will be the easiest and most cost effective way to get him back onto Vitality for the 2 benefits above .

I don't have Medical aid with Discovery but only a Life assurance intergrater policy.

TIA

Same thing happened with me when my son turned 18 - I took out a cheap Life insurance for him - At the time it was 200 ronds a month for 1.0 mill life cover, then he joined vitality and did all the gym stuff etc 

Also came in handy when he bought his first apartment - he seeded the Life product for his bond to the bank instead of taking a separate policy.

11 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Anyone know if they are going to update the Team Vitality calendar for the last quarter. 

just comparing it to last year, there’s hardly any races qualifying for cash back. In 2022, so many more races qualified for cash back. 

I’ve asked on the Team Vitality admin group, and will respond once someone replies.

3 hours ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I am on that high performance thing but if you ride(groupride) and miss the target by 1 BPM, you get the least, I have been on it for probably 5 years not that I am a high performing athlete but it works for me, most week-ends I make my weekly goal in just two days.

Yeah - same here. Worst case you are at least 70% of the way done when the work week starts.

I’ve been on the 900 target since day 1, purely because I ride once per weekend, and occasionally twice depending on the time of year.

If I’m sick, it’s easier to get to 900 by virtue of one 60-min session at 70%, or a park run (walk) and then 10k steps each day.

I’m fortunate that my 70% (220-age) is very close to the top end of my recovery zone (Z1), or bottom of Z2. 

Hi, I just played the gameboard and got 125 points! Very sure the lowest used to be 150 points = one coffee.

125 points is NOT one coffee any more.

53 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I’ve been on the 900 target since day 1, purely because I ride once per weekend, and occasionally twice depending on the time of year.

If I’m sick, it’s easier to get to 900 by virtue of one 60-min session at 70%, or a park run (walk) and then 10k steps each day.

I’m fortunate that my 70% (220-age) is very close to the top end of my recovery zone (Z1), or bottom of Z2. 

I am the same, it was not about how quickly or easy I can get the points but more of how hard it would be to get them them ill or injured.  900 is much easier to get in the what if scenario and having been ill, injured and had covid twice I have still managed to get the 900 target and currently sitting on 399 weeks streak !!

1 hour ago, shaper said:

I am the same, it was not about how quickly or easy I can get the points but more of how hard it would be to get them them ill or injured.  900 is much easier to get in the what if scenario and having been ill, injured and had covid twice I have still managed to get the 900 target and currently sitting on 399 weeks streak !!

Well done on achieving 399 weeks !!!!

I'm also somewhere in the 300+ weeks streak, they even spoiled me with a T-Shirt last year.
I've been on the Endurance version where I need to get 1200 points to reach my goal, been like that for a good few years now.

1 hour ago, Zeffer said:

Hi, I just played the gameboard and got 125 points! Very sure the lowest used to be 150 points = one coffee.

125 points is NOT one coffee any more.

They recently upgraded the game board. If you want the guaranteed coffee then you must click for instant reward. Otherwise wait for the game board where you can either more or slightly less.

The upgraded system does allow you to earn more miles based on your card spend or exercise points.

1 hour ago, shaper said:

Ditto, also on 399

On 8/2/2023 at 1:35 PM, Shebeen said:

guess this is below 60% then

image.png.f05b07f4332ba9f59ad7b68957aa7149.png

good to know, will try work that out.

The endurance option will help in months leading up to big races and when you enjoy longer slower stuff. But the 1200 point targets can be a pain post big race. I have hit my 1200 points with just sat and sunday activities most weeks, but after world champs this year I will not hit that target for a good month or 2 while I reintegrate into society and not have every free minute spent training.

20 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

The upgraded system does allow you to earn more miles based on your card spend or exercise points.

I have always defended the system that it rewards those that go all in. However, the new system is more of a lucky chance than a reward system, and not what it used to be.

I used to be able to get about 100k worth of miles per year. At the current rate, when they changed (March or April), the chance to get 100k is no longer there.

I’ll happily cede to the “I told you so” group. It’s not worth what it was, and they know it,

image.png.f8e7cf20821830329cbaf4cdccf9d5e9.png
IMG_2104.jpeg.cb02a38a6c510de44c6b37e35c84ed7e.jpeg

Edited by Frosty
Added the legend to explain the colours on the chart