Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Why would you bother with the Apple watch when you already have the Rolls Royce of fitness watches...?

Not going to be used as a fitness watch but rather an alternative to the daily use of the f3. The only 'fitness' item I'm interested in with the Apple is the step counter because on my days off I still manage over 10K+ steps and I'd like this info to be available in GC if I happen to be using the Apple Watch.

The f3 will be used for all actual exercise.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need the watch to get points for steps. I use my iPhone with Withings account linked and get points for steps. 

You don't need the watch to get points for steps. I use my iPhone with Withings account linked and get points for steps. 

I've been using the f3, I was trying to get my wife to use it tho, but had a feeling she'd say no. As I suspected, I was right. So now I must use it.

I've been using the f3, I was trying to get my wife to use it tho, but had a feeling she'd say no. As I suspected, I was right. So now I must use it.

If you really need someone to use it, I will let you call me 'wife' if you need me to use it for you... (You'll have to use your existing wife for those kinds of services though!) :devil:  :whistling:

Edited by Tubehunter

So I did about a 1:45 min ride this morning and these are just some pointers for those who are planning on getting it.

Firstly, you don't actually realise at the time but using your watch while you cycle is actually challenging. You basically got to lift both hands off your handlebar in order to navigate through the watch which in the long run will probably improve your skill level but it can be a bit annoying. In saying this though, what you actually need is to have all your data on one screen so that you dont need to navigate the watch. You literally just lift your arm and all the data is there.

Secondly, the built in workout app is pretty poor. It doesn't show average speed, and everything is on separate screens which means you need to navigate while you ride which is annoying.

This morning i ran the workout app concurrently with the cyclemeter app. Now the cyclemeter app is a lot better as your main screen shows all the basics: Speed, Distance, Time, Average speed but it doesn't have heart rate built in. I would have been fine with this but the problem is the moment you run the workout app, no matter what apps you have open, the watch always goes back to the workout app after a certain time. This annoyed the crap outta me because you would then need to navigate through the watch to get back to cyclemeter and it's just difficult.

I had about 56% battery life left after running two apps simultaneously. If you run one app, the battery life should be better.

Other issues I had was with the responsiveness of the screen lacks when your hands are sweaty.

Going forward I would only run the cyclemeter app because all the data is on there. Ideally, it would have been nice for all this to sync to the workout app and I'm sure that will come along with new updates.

My concern though is how Discovery are gonna score you points. Will you still get the 3000 points for a 100km cycle if you use cyclemeter or do you have to use the workout app? Because if the whole system is based on that app, it might be a problem because its a pretty shoddy app.

Also, I would advise paying in that extra cash for the 42mm watch. The icons will be a bit bigger so navigation should be slightly easier especially when on a bike.

My concern though is how Discovery are gonna score you points. Will you still get the 3000 points for a 100km cycle if you use cyclemeter or do you have to use the workout app? Because if the whole system is based on that app, it might be a problem because its a pretty shoddy app.

Also, I would advise paying in that extra cash for the 42mm watch. The icons will be a bit bigger so navigation should be slightly easier especially when on a bike.

Doesn't matter what you use. As long as it tracks HR data & intensity, it'll be fine. The new points are not intrinsic to the apple watch. It's device-agnostic. Even if you run Strava with a BLE HR strap, you'll still get the points. 

Doesn't matter what you use. As long as it tracks HR data & intensity, it'll be fine. The new points are not intrinsic to the apple watch. It's device-agnostic. Even if you run Strava with a BLE HR strap, you'll still get the points. 

Thats my issue though. The app I use, Cyclemeter does not track HR & Intensity. Would I not get the points based on the distance?

Thats my issue though. The app I use, Cyclemeter does not track HR & Intensity. Would I not get the points based on the distance?

yes, you would. In the case of MTB though, intensity is key to getting points cos you can be riding for 3 hours and do just 30km, based on the terrain.

Why not use them in tandem? I see the battery drain is pretty heavy for the usage of 2 apps... 

yes, you would. In the case of MTB though, intensity is key to getting points cos you can be riding for 3 hours and do just 30km, based on the terrain.

Why not use them in tandem? I see the battery drain is pretty heavy for the usage of 2 apps... 

This wouldn't be an issue because I would cycle at least 3 times a week and that should get me enough points. If they up the soft cap of 1200 points then obviously it can pose a problem.

This wouldn't be an issue because I would cycle at least 3 times a week and that should get me enough points. If they up the soft cap of 1200 points then obviously it can pose a problem.

From what I've been told (and what we've seen s far) this isn't going to happen. Otherwise it would render the whole thing unattainable. 

GUYS !!!! runtatsic  can access your HR !!! this is new in the latest watch os 2..

https://www.runtastic.com/blog/en/technology/apple-watchos-2-track-your-heart-rate-with-runtastic/

monitor your heart rate with Apple Watch during your next fitness activity, you must have installed both iOS 9 on your iPhone and Apple watchOS 2 on your Apple Watch. The next step is to check if you have the lastest version of the Runtastic app. If you don’t have this app yet, you can download it here.

If you want to record your heart rate, it is important that you start AND end the activity on your Apple Watch. This is the only way to ensure that your heart rate will be saved. Should any questions arise, however, you can find further information and support here.

Still beats me why you now have to take your phone and watch to record an activity... when you could just run or cycle with a suitable device and get the vitality points !!

I must say a big thank you to the early testers of this option... and more and more it seems is not an option for me and is better to stick with what I have.

And partly because do not have an iphone  :ph34r:

Still beats me why you now have to take your phone and watch to record an activity... when you could just run or cycle with a suitable device and get the vitality points !!

I must say a big thank you to the early testers of this option... and more and more it seems is not an option for me and is better to stick with what I have.

And partly because do not have an iphone  :ph34r:

GPS functionality... 

BAM !!!! strava can now read the HR data.. update on appstore now!

Untill you can ride with out your 6S plus draggin behind you the watch is still meh