The good news thread

shova1

I have a personal good story. Well I think it's pretty good. In fact it has been life altering.

Lost a lot of my hearing in the infantry in 1979. Boring old story. 37 years later I finally decide to get something done about it. I got a hearing aid. It's flipping amazing. I can here birds chirping, my dog scratching his neck, all sorts of stuff. I had no idea when people said click with the mouse that it actually made a clicking sound. I can follow conversations at restaurants and I can even hear the waitrons. I have a extra device that syncs to my phone so I can play music and take phone calls through the hearing aid. Cell phones were very challenging for me. Unfortunately I have lost the ability to understand some sounds so sometimes spoken words are meaningless to me but I am trying to remedy that with a rehab program and by listening to audio books

Anyway it might not be a big deal in the great scheme of things but to me it has been and continues to be a remarkable journey.

Really glad for you :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost wallet found in the hands of good Samaritan

Durban – A Durban man who found a wallet used his one day of leave a week to make a signboard and stand at a busy intersection in the hope of finding its owner.

On Friday, Ian Edwards, a software developer in Durban, visited his doctor at the Sunningdale Medical Centre in Umhlanga. He used an Uber taxi and possibly lost it when he got out at his destination.

He realised it was gone when he was at the doctor, and tried to retrace his footsteps. Both he and his colleagues searched for it, to no avail. He spent the weekend waiting and hoping somebody would contact him about his wallet.

Little did Edwards know that on the Monday, Sifiso Ntsewula, 28, wrote on a board: “If lost your wallet Mr IC Edwards”. He was standing at a set of traffic lights near the medical centre showing his sign to passing motorists.

A pleasant discovery

On Monday morning, Edwards got a call from his brother saying he had seen Ntsewula with his sign.

“I was on my way to work, so I swung around and there was Sifiso with his board. He did not have my wallet on him. He jumped into my car and we headed to his place which was just a kilometre from the robots.”

Ntsewula lived and worked at a pre-school where he does cleaning. Edwards said the language barrier made it difficult for the two to understand one another.

“He searched the wallet in an attempt to find my details. He worked the weekend and on his one day off, Monday, he made the sign and he stood there, hoping to return the wallet. Our neighbourhood Facebook post had one person saying they saw him as early as 06:00.

“I thanked him, gave him the cash that was in the wallet. Everything was still there. I went back later on and I took a picture of him and connected with him.

“He put in a very big effort. He lives with little means. He didn’t have that signboard. He bought it and took time out of his day. It was kind. It was kinder than he needed to be. I am grateful. He deserves a lot. He saved me a truckload of time standing in queues.”

The hard-working, honest man

Ntsewula, originally from Bizana in rural KwaZulu-Natal, said he was handing out flyers for the crèche when he found the wallet, with a lot of money in it.

He tried calling all the numbers he found in the wallet, but he said they did not know who he was talking about. His sister then asked police for help, who told her to go to a radio station.

“Then I thought, why don’t I rather make a sign because this is what I do? My sister helped me make it because I am not good with English.”

Ntsewula said he woke at 05:00 and with his sisters’ help had the sign ready. He was at the traffic light an hour later. Later that day, Edwards’s brother approached him.

Ntsewula said he was raised in a religious household.

“Years before school, my father died. My mother died in the early 2000s. My granny took care of me and paid for my school until Grade 9 when she could not manage anymore. Then I had to drop out and started looking for a job.”

He hoped to get a better job and improve himself.

“There’s no use being happy finding money in a wallet when the owner of the wallet would be unhappy,” he said of his good deed.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/lost-wallet-found-in-the-hands-of-good-samaritan-20160517

I find a lot of these..."look what this black person did for me" quite patronising...i.e. if it had been a white person would it have been posted on facebook? i guess we would hope so.....maybe I am just being cynical

I find a lot of these..."look what this black person did for me" quite patronising...i.e. if it had been a white person would it have been posted on facebook? i guess we would hope so.....maybe I am just being cynical

reading too much into it, Stretch. ANYONE who goes to those lengths to reunite someone with their wallet is a legend in my books. It's not a quality that a lot of people have. 

Not quite the same as posting it on FB with an "I found a wallet, anyone know XYZ?"

He took time out of his day, made a sign, and stood at the side of the road in teh hopes that someone would see him and know the owner of the wallet. That takes moral fortitude beyond what many SJW's will see in their lifetimes, let alone have themselves. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

reading too much into it, Stretch. ANYONE who goes to those lengths to reunite someone with their wallet is a legend in my books. It's not a quality that a lot of people have. 

Not quite the same as posting it on FB with an "I found a wallet, anyone know XYZ?"

He took time out of his day, made a sign, and stood at the side of the road in teh hopes that someone would see him and know the owner of the wallet. That takes moral fortitude beyond what many SJW's will see in their lifetimes, let alone have themselves. 

sorry - let me rephrase..not referring to this one in particular - as yes - he went to extreme measures. There was also another one where this gut literally saved this womens life after she was stung by a bee - roaring her off to hospital etc 

thats why i said "these" there are lots that are very patronising

sorry - let me rephrase..not referring to this one in particular - as yes - he went to extreme measures. There was also another one where this gut literally saved this womens life after she was stung by a bee - roaring her off to hospital etc 

thats why i said "these" there are lots that are very patronising

Some of them, yes. But I just think that considering the way society is at the moment, we're constantly surprised when something like this happens. Which means it'll sound a little patronising, but understandably so... 

Some of them, yes. But I just think that considering the way society is at the moment, we're constantly surprised when something like this happens. Which means it'll sound a little patronising, but understandably so... 

true

post-7-0-55404800-1464041035_thumb.jpg

Guest notmyname

It's payday.

I have the rest of today to feel rad. From about 08h00 tomorrow the beeps will start and my clams will start going to do their work.

The canadian law enforcement officials must have had a heart attack at that happening in their airport !

Those deep voices echoing through the airport.....