Read any good books this holiday?

Vetseun

I have an intense interest in shipping, submarines, interesting wrecks,...anything ocean related and suck it up like a sponge. Recently I read "Where divers dare - the hunt for the last U-Boat" known as the U-550.

It recounts the final battle of the U-550, how it was sunk and how an American destroyer Captain saved the lives of 15 of the U-Boats crew when it was depth charged after sinking one of the biggest cargo ships of the war effort, the SS Pan Pennsylvania in April 1944.

It recounts how the German U-Boat Captain hunted and sank the giant cargo ship, then tried to escape by diving, however he miscalculated the depth and found himself helpless on the bottom at 30 metres while the battleships above found him and threw dozens of depth charges at him, how, seriously damaged he had to make a heart breaking decision, obey orders and stay on the bottom, effectively committing his young crew to death, or, disobey orders and make an uncontrolled ascent, giving, he hoped, his crew a chance at life.

He had grave doubts, having just sunk an allied cargo ship and no doubt killed a number of crew, his attackers above would show any mercy, but he was wrong, one Captain did and it changed lives forever.

It was a harrowing battle fought under terrible conditions, it recounts how, on surfacing, some of the battleships rammed the sinking Sub, machine gunned those trying to escape and left over 40 men to die in the freezing waters,... but one destroyer Captain, against orders, sent out a small vessel to try and rescue the German crew, managing to save 15, one of whom was the Sub's Captain, he had been shot in the face and was almost dead when he was pulled from the water to safety, and, how the two Captains, from opposing forces became life long friends.

How they tracked down the last of the survivors and heard their story of the horror of that day, one of the epic ocean battles of the 2nd world war. 

If you like stories of human courage, mercy, endevour and prevailing over all odds, read it, its an epic book,....... much like the battle!

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Steven King lost the plot a long time ago, I also used to enjoy his books but I stopped reading them mid 2000, I think the last I read was "Under the Dome" - the TV series was rubbish and the book was worse. 

Sad because he was one of the few non fiction writers I used to enjoy, I recommended it somewhere else in this thread but for a great feel good book and an easy read, go read "The Penguin Diaries" - if you dont enjoy .... you aint got no soul.  :lol:

Penguin lessons on amazon uk for a fiver , on .com (for saffas) - 13 dollars -

For that price I'm gonna get the physical book rather.

Think it's a bit like James Patterson, his first books I really enjoyed but then he started to churn them out and co-write with others and they were not so great.

Dont get me started on James Patterson. Loved his books once upon a time. Now his books irritate me. Same old same old.

Although I read one a while ago that had me from page one. The murder of King Tut.

Edited by Vetseun

I think Steven King lost the plot a long time ago,

Sad because he was one of the few non fiction writers I used to enjoy

Was The Shining true ????

As I was going down to Spionkop dam for the Berg and Bush next week, I decided to bone up on my Tweede Vryheids Oorlog history a bit and re-read Thomas Pakenham's "Boer War".

I highly recommend it for anyone who has an interest in the South Africa in which we live.

It reads like a fast paced adventure story and explains why the British, specifically Alfred Milner wanted the war, believed that it would be over and done with in two months and how it became the most expensive (in terms of money and lives) war the British army fought for the centrury up to WW1.

The campaigns and characters that went on to shape our history in the 20th century are put into clear perspective.

A very good and easy read.

Ps. You will also learn that on one day, on the small Spionkop hill, three great 20th Century figures were actively involved and in mortal danger. Louis Botha, first Union of SA Prime Minister, Winston Churchill and Mahatma Gandhi.

You will also know why the home stand at Anfield is called the 'Kop.

As I was going down to Spionkop dam for the Berg and Bush next week, I decided to bone up on my Tweede Vryheids Oorlog history a bit and re-read Thomas Pakenham's "Boer War".

I highly recommend it for anyone who has an interest in the South Africa in which we live.

It reads like a fast paced adventure story and explains why the British, specifically Alfred Milner wanted the war, believed that it would be over and done with in two months and how it became the most expensive (in terms of money and lives) war the British army fought for the centrury up to WW1.

The campaigns and characters that went on to shape our history in the 20th century are put into clear perspective.

A very good and easy read.

Ps. You will also learn that on one day, on the small Spionkop hill, three great 20th Century figures were actively involved and in mortal danger. Louis Botha, first Union of SA Prime Minister, Winston Churchill and Mahatma Gandhi.

You will also know why the home stand at Anfield is called the 'Kop.

That sounds very interesting, what I found amazing was that I was at school in Britain, yet never once in history did we study the Boer War, I can tell you all about the Battle of Hastings etc.

It was like it didn't exist, the only reason I had vaguely heard of it  was because some relative of my Great Gran was killed in it.

I attended  pretty decent private schools so it wasn't that it was the schooling.

Selective history I think.....

That sounds very interesting, what I found amazing was that I was at school in Britain, yet never once in history did we study the Boer War, I can tell you all about the Battle of Hastings etc.

It was like it didn't exist, the only reason I had vaguely heard of it  was because some relative of my Great Gran was killed in it.

I attended  pretty decent private schools so it wasn't that it was the schooling.

Selective history I think.....

Read it, you will find it very interesting. Britain does not come out of the history with much credit. The book was written in the late 60s early 70s; long enough for the official documents to have become available under the 50year secrecy rule, but whilst civilians and combatants on both sides were still alive to give their personal accounts.

It was the last of the great colonial wars,  fought and precipitated by the Commonwealth office and Governor General of the Cape Colony who wanted to establish a Southern African Crown colony out of their existing colonies (Cape, Natal, both Rhodesias) and the two Boer republics.

They envisaged a short war and the surrender of the republics to incorporate them into the grand plan.

It did not work out that way and after much jingoism early in the war, the reality of Kitchener's scorched earth policy led to national embarrassment in Britain which ultimately settled on a peace treaty which sold out the future black and coloured South Africans, contrary to their stated war aims.

Read it, you will find it very interesting. Britain does not come out of the history with much credit. The book was written in the late 60s early 70s; long enough for the official documents to have become available under the 50year secrecy rule, but whilst civilians and combatants on both sides were still alive to give their personal accounts.

It was the last of the great colonial wars,  fought and precipitated by the Commonwealth office and Governor General of the Cape Colony who wanted to establish a Southern African Crown colony out of their existing colonies (Cape, Natal, both Rhodesias) and the two Boer republics.

They envisaged a short war and the surrender of the republics to incorporate them into the grand plan.

It did not work out that way and after much jingoism early in the war, the reality of Kitchener's scorched earth policy led to national embarrassment in Britain which ultimately settled on a peace treaty which sold out the future black and coloured South Africans, contrary to their stated war aims.

In this vein, read a similar book on the influence Rhodes had on the war as a private individual. He had a master plan to hook the Cape Colony up with Egypt through a British National Pathway, aka the railway line. He really did want to paint the continent red. He wanted the whole thing for queen and country.

I have an intense interest in shipping, submarines, interesting wrecks,...anything ocean related and suck it up like a sponge. Recently I read "Where divers dare - the hunt for the last U-Boat" known as the U-550.

It recounts the final battle of the U-550, how it was sunk and how an American destroyer Captain saved the lives of 15 of the U-Boats crew when it was depth charged after sinking one of the biggest cargo ships of the war effort, the SS Pan Pennsylvania in April 1944.

It recounts how the German U-Boat Captain hunted and sank the giant cargo ship, then tried to escape by diving, however he miscalculated the depth and found himself helpless on the bottom at 30 metres while the battleships above found him and threw dozens of depth charges at him, how, seriously damaged he had to make a heart breaking decision, obey orders and stay on the bottom, effectively committing his young crew to death, or, disobey orders and make an uncontrolled ascent, giving, he hoped, his crew a chance at life.

He had grave doubts, having just sunk an allied cargo ship and no doubt killed a number of crew, his attackers above would show any mercy, but he was wrong, one Captain did and it changed lives forever.

It was a harrowing battle fought under terrible conditions, it recounts how, on surfacing, some of the battleships rammed the sinking Sub, machine gunned those trying to escape and left over 40 men to die in the freezing waters,... but one destroyer Captain, against orders, sent out a small vessel to try and rescue the German crew, managing to save 15, one of whom was the Sub's Captain, he had been shot in the face and was almost dead when he was pulled from the water to safety, and, how the two Captains, from opposing forces became life long friends.

How they tracked down the last of the survivors and heard their story of the horror of that day, one of the epic ocean battles of the 2nd world war. 

If you like stories of human courage, mercy, endevour and prevailing over all odds, read it, its an epic book,....... much like the battle!

Have you read Goldfinder by Keith Jessop? Sounds like you'd really enjoy it.

Have you read Goldfinder by Keith Jessop? Sounds like you'd really enjoy it.

No I haven't, but a quick looky see on Amazon tells me its right up my alley,.. thanks for the heads up, I will certainly read it. 

Penguin lessons on amazon uk for a fiver , on .com (for saffas) - 13 dollars -

For that price I'm gonna get the physical book rather.

Hmm, yes, I dont think it was that much when I bought it on Kindle, but to be honest I cant remember. I am sure you will find it in one of the bigger book stores as well.

I watched Everest the other day, and Krakauer this and Krakauer that. Is his writing that good?

I think so, probably his best book is "Into thin air" well worth reading it if you havent already. "Into the wild" is also excellent.

I would say stay away from some of his other stuff like "Under the banner of Heaven" very heavy reading and one of the few books I never finished.   

Tumbles - read Krakauer's Everest book (really about experienced guides losing their lives trying to save tourists imho) book but try Joe Simpson - Touching the Void for a real chill (sic) up your spine. The book by the guy left for dead (Beck Wethers?) on that expedition is also interesting.

The "South Africans" (Woodall et al) don't come out too well on that Everest saga and one SA guy went missing as I remember. Sad.

I watched Everest the other day, and Krakauer this and Krakauer that. Is his writing that good?

Enhanced by the consumption of the odd joint