Armed Cyclist

SilverCracker

So after hearing and reading about cyclist being hijacked and robbed while cycling, coupled with our high crime rate. I have decided to invest in a concealed shooting device.

I have my eye on a couple of devices, but my concern is where do I put it when cycling? So far the best place is on the chest. Any other areas?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm - i haver seen this many times on the hub and on cycling forums.

Something to think about which you need to solve first: Just spend some time working out how you are going to draw the concealed device and defend yourself with it after they have attacked you.

I would be interested as to how you have solved that problem.

A motor cycle kidney belt or the like with a holster attached across the back...it sits behind your shirt pockets which makes it concealed so it cant be seen from the back...easy access...just slide your hand under the shirt and pull.

use to carry it in the shirt pocket but not a smart idea because the profile could be seen from the back...making you an easy target...and difficult to access in a hurry.

only expose if you are going to use it to defend yourself in a life threatening situation...the less people know you pack the better...and never have 1 up while cycling...learn to pull and load in one motion...and make sure the safety is off...to try unlock the safety in an emergency can prove to be a challenge especially in an emergency.

A motor cycle kidney belt or the like with a holster attached across the back...it sits behind your shirt pockets which makes it concealed so it cant be seen from the back...easy access...just slide your hand under the shirt and pull.

use to carry it in the shirt pocket but not a smart idea because the profile could be seen from the back...making you an easy target...and difficult to access in a hurry.

only expose if you are going to use it to defend yourself in a life threatening situation...the less people know you pack the better...and never have 1 up while cycling...learn to pull and load in one motion...and make sure the safety is off...to try unlock the safety in an emergency can prove to be a challenge especially in an emergency.

Be very careful of anything in the small of your back across your spine. Could be a bit ugly if you land on it in a fall.

that's why you should buy a Glock !

FWIW:

I rode with a tear gas canister velcroed to the stem for a bit. I made sure it was some pretty nasty gas in there. Never got to use it. In fact the only time I wanted to was on a motorist ion the complex where I live who tried to run me down when i was riding with my nephew around the complex one afternoon

I also have one of those tasers that looks like an old Nokia phone which i have taken on the odd ride when I remember and think I may be at risk.

Just some ideas.

FWIW: If I have some sort of defensive weapon on me and I think I am under threat I am a lot more gangsta than if I dont and I realized I am likely to taser or teargas a motorist or some other bystander if I have with me.

For me personally its better that I dont have this on me as my impulse control when angry is not that good.

I've seen this question asked so many times before.....All with the same bias, focusing on the practicality/technicality of carrying/concealing. That is the easy part.

Here's my weigh in:

In my teens and early 20's I was trained the British Army on a variety of small and medium calibre weapons, basically from Browning Hi Power 9mm, through Stirling and FN (ZA R1), on to various LMG and GPMG, amongst others..

Any idiot can be taught to use/utilize these weapons in effective fashion.

Every Military around the world has proven that.

The deeper issue, and the harder or longer term training challenge is the ease and speed with which these weapons are deployed to kill.

If you have not trained to the extent where it is natural and instinctive to pull, point and then kill your threat then none of the hardware matters one little bit.

If you are carrying to make yourself feel safe, that's a falsehood and a liability.

If you are carrying to threaten, even worse. That escalates any situation into life or death.

And if you haven't shot first then you are at the disadvantage.

I believe I was about as well trained as one could be. Thankfully it was never tested.

That being said, there is no way I would take a weapon out on a ride with me, because I don't want to train myself into that mindset again where I am alert and ready to kill as an almost instinctive response to a threat.

There are other questions to consider:

The law does not allow you to blast away just because someone is trying to steal your bike. Only if your life is legitimately threatened. (Ask Oscar).

I know it's all very Gung Ho to fantasize about wasting somebody who's trying to steal from you.

How would you actually feel about it?

I had soldiers around me who had killed in legitimate military conflicts who had trouble sleeping. Some didn't seem to mind at all, of course but I found that they mostly had other issues. Again some were 100% fine with it all, but they were a bit of a mystery.

Have you actually experienced, close up, the real effects of a shooting?

Maybe you have weighed up all of the above and feel happy about carrying, and are confident in your technical abilities , the speed of your decision making and the strength of your psyche.

In that case, good luck and safe riding.

If you haven't, then please think very carefully about what it really entails.

Sorry for the length of that, started out meaning for it to be a quick caution..