Running the Gauntlet here........

Dicky DQ

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it is not Friday!

Helmetless its your choice

As a matter of interest I wonder what insurance life policies would say in a worst case scenario you have an accident sans helmet?

Also, have you got hair, covering your head?

If not don't forget the sunblock... skin cancer

These debates are always the same - we all have an "i did so and so" story. Helmets are safer than no helmet - that cannot be disputed.

I do think everyone has got helmet bedonnered though. Nobody bats an eyelid if you buy a piece of **** car versus a trillion star ncap rated volvo. The danger of a "cheap" car is way more serious than no helmet (in my own opinion). Nobody I know wears eye protection when they weed eat, mow or grind (ok some do during grinding). These can all lead to eye loss but nobody seems to consider it. Having said that I fully expect thehub massif to all wear every item of safety kit every time they leave the house - hell most of thehub massif will tell you they wear their motox helmet in the car if they think it'll "win" a hub debate. The helmet issue is a little like racism - we all react before we think. Life is so sterile - sometimes you gotta just jump on your bike with a tee shirt and plakkies to remember what life was like before we wrapped everything in political correctness and peer judgement.

You did not pay attention during all those past helmet debates here

Bad boy

* A "study" in Britain proved it could be more dangerous to wear a helmet because cyclists with helmets are more likely to be knocked down....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/somerset/5334208.stm

* The views above do not necessarily represent those of mine and i'm just posting to get my post count up in 2016

last time I did what Eldron suggested, and rode wif plakkes and the wind in my hair to the shop, I ended up having to go to physio for foot injury...probably because I did not wear a helmut

Personally Im fine with wearing a helmet, I dont find it uncomfortable.

I endo'd into a tree about a year ago and broke my helmet in half(well the shell was holding it together) so after that Im happy wearing one.

Its your head though, so you can do what you want with it.

I dig easy rides round the 'hood sans helmet. The wind in your face is really under rated!

Ultimately it's your head - your responsibility.

Ride how you like!

I feel completely weird if I ride without a helmut. Just like I cannot get into a car without putting the seatbelt on, even if it is to drive from the driveway into the garage...clip, on it goes, ten seconds later, clip, off it comes.

Personally Im fine with wearing a helmet, I dont find it uncomfortable.

I endo'd into a tree about a year ago and broke my helmet in half(well the shell was holding it together) so after that Im happy wearing one.

Its your head though, so you can do what you want with it.

My best helmut story was racing with Adrian Enthoven towards the end of the Barberton race a few years back; caught up with the short event folk and a novice rider at the top of a drop-off suddenly chickened out, requiring a very sudden change of line (also known as 'the superman'). I bailed down the dropoff and smashed my melon into a rock/dirt wall. Was pretty happy about having my Uvex helmut on - when I checked it later, it had a nice sized rock embedded in it (and that is why Adey beat me to the line, seriaas).

Dont be a cheapskate and buy a helmet that fits.......

Best quote of the bunch.

Besides, all riding venues state: No helmet, no ride.

Ok now it's Friday!

Just out of interest OP, do you feel the same way about sunblock, malaria medication, condoms, safety belts and traffic lights? 

I just threw that last one in because one can never have enough worms on a fishing trip.

Ok now it's Friday!

Just out of interest OP, do you feel the same way about sunblock, malaria medication, condoms, safety belts and traffic lights? 

I just threw that last one in because one can never have enough worms on a fishing trip.

Pretty relevant considering OP's name. Dick should always have helmet on. 

Malaria medication...

Many doctors do not advocate malaria medication. It can often hide the symptoms of malaria. 

Archived