Two cyclists killed in KZN

Vetseun

Crying afterwards does not really bring back someone from the dead.  Should rather cry before getting drunk.

I hope he cries in jail when his cell mate gets his way with him.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not holding my breath for justice here. The SOB who murdered Greg Andersen last month also pleaded guilty and effectively walked away with a slap on the wrist (36 month prison sentence with 18 months suspended which means 18 months in prison)

Not holding my breath for justice here. The SOB who murdered Greg Andersen last month also pleaded guilty and effectively walked away with a slap on the wrist (36 month prison sentence with 18 months suspended which means 18 months in prison)

It might not be much, but it's more than we are used to seeing. Perhaps the shorter sentences will lead to more guy's pleading guilty, which hopefully means that there will more press and perceived consequence, which hopefully will deter some.... dunno, just hopeful I suppose.

It might not be much, but it's more than we are used to seeing. Perhaps the shorter sentences will lead to more guy's pleading guilty, which hopefully means that there will more press and perceived consequence, which hopefully will deter some.... dunno, just hopeful I suppose.

Agree fully.  It is a slap on the wrist but at least it is an effective prison sentence albeit short.  It is the first effective prison sentence where a cyclist is killed that I can remember.  All others that I know of ended being either suspended sentences or stupid things like house arrrest.  At least the possibility of becommings "Pappa se roommate" even though only for a few months should start sinking in somewhere.

Agree fully.  It is a slap on the wrist but at least it is an effective prison sentence albeit short.  It is the first effective prison sentence where a cyclist is killed that I can remember.  All others that I know of ended being either suspended sentences or stupid things like house arrrest.  At least the possibility of becommings "Pappa se roommate" even though only for a few months should start sinking in somewhere.

Well, if the sentence is too short, perhaps we can strike a deal with "pappa" :devil:

I don't know myself but I don't imagine that 18 months in prison is particularly pleasant.

A couple weeks ago, someone I know was stopped at a big roadblock in Sandton. Pissed to the eyeballs on Friday night. He was arrested. On Monday morning the charges against him and

all the other pisscats who were bust that night, were dropped, as no lab work had been done on the bloods of any of the offenders. Bail money was refunded to all.

I understand that this is common practice- drunk driving is effectively without legal sanction because blood work is not processed. No wonder the cops see it as no more than private tax free revenue.

A couple weeks ago, someone I know was stopped at a big roadblock in Sandton. Pissed to the eyeballs on Friday night. He was arrested. On Monday morning the charges against him and

all the other pisscats who were bust that night, were dropped, as no lab work had been done on the bloods of any of the offenders. Bail money was refunded to all.

I understand that this is common practice- drunk driving is effectively without legal sanction because blood work is not processed. No wonder the cops see it as no more than private tax free revenue.

That is why I say that the situation on SA roads will not get any better until your law enforcement is done properly.

I would like to see SAB, Distell etc "encouraged" to fund and manage a laboratory that does blood alcohol tests , in a manner that stands up in court, with a 7 day turnaround time. That would be better "corporate responsibility" than spending money on "drink responsibly" campaigns.

I would like to see SAB, Distell etc "encouraged" to fund and manage a laboratory that does blood alcohol tests , in a manner that stands up in court, with a 7 day turnaround time. That would be better "corporate responsibility" than spending money on "drink responsibly" campaigns.

They're happy to slap a "drink responsibly" slogan under all their adverts but that would be taking money out of they're own pockets

"corporate responsibility"

On this.

Don't we think that there should be a 2 drink maximum at corporate functions? The amount of times I've seen people get wrecked out of their tree because there's an open bar is astounding. I think it's a matter of time before someone coming home from one of these functions kills someone and the company gets sued by someones widow.

On this.

Don't we think that there should be a 2 drink maximum at corporate functions? The amount of times I've seen people get wrecked out of their tree because there's an open bar is astounding. I think it's a matter of time before someone coming home from one of these functions kills someone and the company gets sued by someones widow.

One of the last corporate functions we attended in SA they arranged drivers for those who had too much.  Can't rememeber the company name they used.  Limiting the drinks could be a challange as many will be responsible enough to have a dedicted driver (wive or buddy) to drive home.  Then you also get those who are drunk with just one drink.  So limiting the drinks could not have the desired effect.

On this.

Not sure I agree with this approach.

I think the people who drink and drive should stop.

This suggestion moves the responsibility to somebody other than the person who should simply control themselves or Uber.