How often should you replace your helmet

Inv3rt

No, too hot. The element is at the bottom and I do not want to expose the helmet to that kind of heat especially in the drying part of the wash.

Had a nice chuckle now. Nice going Rouxenator!!!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a nice chuckle now. Nice going Rouxenator!!!

You're welcome, had this Bell for more than 4 years now and it is still awesome like new.

The rules says 3 years.

But usually fomo hits during the Argus expos, which means anywhere between 1 and 2 years.

Interesting topic. Makes you worry

Don't. unless you fall and damage the helmet it will be fine, even after many machines washes.

Sorry but I disagree. You have no way of establishing the integrity of the helmet after many machine washes.

Bell advocates using a mild soap like a mild dishwashing soap but not at the temperature you washing yours at. Many helmet manufactures state use co,s water and cloth and mild soap

Unlike my best friend, whose integrity I value, my helmet is there to get me access to cycle events. I am not really concerned about the integrity of my helmet.

I just replaced my old Rudy Project this weekend. The old one was done for. Polystyrene was beginning to crumble in the front due to all the sweat. The inner padding was shot and I had a bad fall about a year or so ago so the back of the helmet was a bit squishy. It had done its time

I looked all over and set a budget to stick to. I found that Cycle Lab were very competitive. If anyone wants the new Bell Sweep in small go NOW. Its there for R1199. Pity they didnt have my size - its only available in Small - last one

I settled on another Rudy Project that was R600 cheaper than the next best price I found at Westdene - which also had good deals BTW. 

http://www.bhsi.org/clean.htm

I trust these guys a bi​t more, note their list of do's and don'ts which includes:

Never put your helmet in a washing machine, dryer, microwave or dishwasher to clean it!

Anyway, it's your head.​.......

Out of interest Rouxenator, have you had any big crashes resulting in helmet deformation or breaking to substantiate the claims of no damage being done by a dishwasher? Just curious.

Touch wood I have had very few crashes or falls, my riding style is rather cautious. That said I did have one epic fail on my commute two years ago resulting in me going down on a paved road. My neck was sore for few weeks after that and my helmet hit the road hard. It only had a slight scuff mark on it so I am still using and machine washing it. 

Touch wood I have had very few crashes or falls, my riding style is rather cautious. That said I did have one epic fail on my commute two years ago resulting in me going down on a paved road. My neck was sore for few weeks after that and my helmet hit the road hard. It only had a slight scuff mark on it so I am still using and machine washing it. 

I think it is universally accepted that a helmet has a 1 impact tolerance.

Following a crash it will have served its purpose, you should replace it I would think.

I've had my Bell for 8 years and this thread spooked me into buying a new lid this weekend!

Actually never thought of the lifespan before...

I think it is universally accepted that a helmet has a 1 impact tolerance.

Following a crash it will have served its purpose, you should replace it I would think.

The main purpose of my helmet is to allow me to take part in rides. No helmet no ride. Protecting my head is a secondary nice to have.