How often should you replace your helmet

Inv3rt

Hi guys

I got an 2007 Giro Xen helmet that i bought brand new in 2011.I really love this helmet  but was wondering that with it being almost 10 years old will it still be up to the job of protecting me in a crash.Does the structure of the helmet degrade slowly over time?The helmet is in mint condition and has never had any impacts or anything.Giro doesn't make the Xen anymore and it is such an awesome helmet!  

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you crash and hit your dome, replace your lid.

I think they would degrade over time. Really dont know how long it should last.

Motorcycle Helmets are recommended to be replaced every 5 years as the material degrades over time. I would think a bicycle helmet is probably prone to the same kind of degradation but I stand to be corrected. If at any time the helmet is subject to an impact for instance being dropped or taken a knock in an accident then replace immediately.

I am no expert so hopefully someone can shed some scientific light on this subject

I use mine for 4 years then chuck it. I find that the sweat and sun make the foam brittle. I do not know if it would make it less safe, but as our only safety device on the bike I won't take a chance.

Bicycle helmets have a maximum useful shelf life of 5years if stored in cool, dry conditions away from UV.

Once its in use, you should replace the helmet after 3yrs of use.

I recently dropped a Bell sweep after taking it off. Just missed the hook where I hang it. It cracked when it hit the ground. It failed in a non critical area but its an indication that the rest of the structure may not be sound anylonger. Its a 2008 model.

Also had a 2006 model Uvex FP1 fail crack when droped from shoulder height.

Styrofoam does not hold is mechanical properties after moulding for much more than 5 years so I replace my helmets every three years.

bear in mind its exposed to all manner of abuse including sweat, sunlight, heat, impact etc

So what do u guys do with ur old helmets? Give it to ur postman/gardener? Now I'm worried sick, I gave my 2007 model I inherited from a friend 2 years ago to the postman last year.

Edited by Sparki 1

During my ride on Saturday I met up with some mates on the trail. We found a spot to have a quick bite and rest a bit. As I was putting my helmet back on, I heard a strange crackling noise. I was on my bike at this stage, and for a moment I thought my frame was disintegrating (yes, you may laff now).

Then I realized that the noise was coming from my helmet. I quickly removed it and we watched as the thing slowly de-laminated (see the gray areas in the picture - this is where the "lid" detached/de-laminated).

This is a 2004 model Giro Semi MX which I bought in 2005. I guess it is time for a new lid :thumbup:

post-37016-0-24124200-1454961676_thumb.jpg

Jip in the motorcycle world a fall from as little as 30cm is said to be significant. The helmet absorption properties are 1 time use so once it has done its job, regardless of impact size, it is time to buy another one.

Fashions change and most people replace for a new look not for safety reasons anyway.

Just my 2c worth.

During my ride on Saturday I met up with some mates on the trail. We found a spot to have a quick bite and rest a bit. As I was putting my helmet back on, I heard a strange crackling noise. I was on my bike at this stage, and for a moment I thought my frame was disintegrating (yes, you may laff now).

Then I realized that the noise was coming from my helmet. I quickly removed it and we watched as the thing slowly de-laminated (see the gray areas in the picture - this is where the "lid" detached/de-laminated).

This is a 2004 model Giro Semi MX which I bought in 2005. I guess it is time for a new lid :thumbup:

That's way past use by date

Holy cow...new lid long overdue

So what do u guys do with ur old helmets? Give it to ur postman/gardener? Now I'm worried sick, I gave my 2007 model I inherited from a friend 2 years ago to the postman last year.

Louisville slugger and then the trash. I bought the Gardner a cheap giant lid. Good quality

Well, according to 'The Rules' : " One shall not don a helmet exceeding 3 years old " ????

Yessah.... which is why I am getting this:

post-37016-0-83223700-1454965023_thumb.jpg

Mount on chopping block and then let the Louisville slugger have a go at it. Then into the trash. Rather buy the gardener a cheap Ryder or Giant helmet from sportsmans warehouse. Typically they not too fashion conscious