How often should you replace your helmet

Inv3rt

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting fact about putting your helmet in the dishwasher is that it will quickly show you how strong it is. I had a cheap Mr Price Maxed helmet in there and after the second time the hard outer shell completely came loose from the inner part. It was just glued on.

My Bell on the other hand has been in there for almost 3 years now and it still just like new. Makes you think...

Interesting fact about putting your helmet in the dishwasher is that it will quickly show you how strong it is. I had a cheap Mr Price Maxed helmet in there and after the second time the hard outer shell completely came loose from the inner part. It was just glued on.

Just take it with you in the shower, after a ride.

You even safe water.

My Bell on the other hand has been in there for almost 3 years now and it still just like new. Makes you think...

In the dishwasher with detergent and warmed water?

In the dishwasher with detergent and cold water?

In the dishwasher without detergent and warmed water?

In the dishwasher without detergent and cold water?

I had a Bell Sweep that I washed in the shower with just luke warm water and no soap. It discoloured horribly and the foam became brittle within one year. Omnico replaced it under warranty. The replacement I wash only under cold water tap using the hand Zuma. Haven't had a problem with it till i dropped it and it cracked.

Most helmet shells are added in the mould without glue. Having the shell glued on is not a problem if you follow the cleaning insructions. Most helmet manufacturers tell you to wipe down with damp cloth and wash the pads separately. Follow those instructions and any helmet will last the intended lifespan

You really shouldn't be doing that to your helmet... 

Been doing it for years, it's the benchmark of a quality helmet. Cheap ones only last a few washes. 

They are all glued on

They are all glued on

Seems Bell uses a better glue then. For me a helmet is mainly to be allowed to take part in a ride, you know with the no helmet no ride thing. That said when I ride on my own I still wear it cause I love the fresh lemon smell. 

Seems Bell uses a better glue then. For me a helmet is mainly to be allowed to take part in a ride, you know with the no helmet no ride thing. That said when I ride on my own I still wear it cause I love the fresh lemon smell. 

Pansy