How often should you replace your helmet

Inv3rt

Three years is as long as a piece of rope...

Your three years could be 30 000km (10 000 km per year) 70% in sun )

My 3 years could be 9000 km (3000 km per year) 45 % in sun due to early morning rides etc. ^_^

But better to be safe than sorrow :whistling:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what do u guys do with ur old helmets? Give it to ur postman/gardener? Now I'm worried sick, I gave my 2007 model I inherited from a friend 2 years ago to the postman last year.

Was he wearing an ANSI approved helmet, or any helmet before you were good enough to give him yours? Therein lies your answer?

Very interesting. I would not think of changing my helmut due to age of the thing but rather when it broke.

Had a Giro for many many years before recently buying a new lid.

Goodness, need a bigger savings bucket.

Can you still hear the bells?

Glad you are ok..ish :)

Hit my head, nothing to damage there.

The nerve damage in my neck and hand, now that's a different story.

post-87-0-13244300-1455013139_thumb.jpeg

Hit my head, nothing to damage there.

The nerve damage in my neck and hand, now that's a different story.

Did you have that finger x-rayed? looks like you might have dislocated or crack some bits in it.

Did they check your neck for fractures too - or are you just guessing it's nerve damage only?

Edited by V12man

Did you have that finger x-rayed? looks like you might have dislocated or crack some bits in it.

Did they check your neck for fractures too - or are you just guessing it's nerve damage only?

Spent a week in Hospital. 

Was x-rayed, told nothing is broken or dislocated. For some or other reason I do not believe them, as that finger is still looking like that, with restricted mobility and quite sore.

Went to neurologist, had scans done. Disks in my neck got squashed and caused swelling, affecting nerves in my neck/left arm,/hand.

Happened on 3rd of December, feeling a lot better already. Had a full course of physio, back on the bike from end of Jan. Actually cycled past "my piece of vineyard" on Sunday.  

That looks quite severe @Wannabe. What happened?

Good thing you wee wearing a helmet!

To all the non-helmet wearers - WEAR YOUR HELMET!!

On a downhill stretch I hit a irrigation ditch at speed, got flung over the handlebars and a row of vineyards. Landed on my head / neck, got knocked out cold for a few seconds. 

But as my Dad used to say "It's far from the arse, you'll survive".  :ph34r:  :whistling:

On a downhill stretch I hit a irrigation ditch at speed, got flung over the handlebars and a row of vineyards. Landed on my head / neck, got knocked out cold for a few seconds. 

But as my Dad used to say "It's far from the arse, you'll survive".  :ph34r:  :whistling:

oh, I thought you were on the singletrack! 

Those irrigation ditches are brutes. They were the single largest cause of broken bones and medevacs in Tokai when it was open.