Ashburton MTB Series #2 Sabie 2016

Acre

Thanks Mr g only saw this in middle of the night...but it's pouring down here and has been doing so for the last for hours. People are still heading to the start though, obv don't mind spending thousands fixing their bikes.

Had a very slow ride yesterday did 20min longer than last year. An appalling time of 6h27 but no crashes and I enjoyed a swim in a mountain stream and gassed it home from the last official water point and loved the single track..very welvanpas like! Stayed next to team bulls what a nice bunch of guys. Chatted to them and their mechanics. Hope everyone that came had a good weekend despite the families missing out today.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did both days and what a contrast! Yesterday was a day of absolute attrition, if you rode the first half hard you blew, if you didn't hydrate properly you blew, if you rode the descents quicker than your skill level you went home on the back of a bakkie. Also thoroughly enjoyed the ice cold water at the river, C&C I think we were there at the same time, I was the one organising where you wash you feet and where you fill up your bottle!

Today was perfect for riding in terms of the weather and the rain did up the game quite a bit but it was by no means a mudfest. One thing that Sabie gets right is that the half marathon is by no means an easy ride, shorter yes, but equally demanding when compared to the marathon.

Edited by River Rat

Thanks Mr g only saw this in middle of the night...but it's pouring down here and has been doing so for the last for hours. People are still heading to the start though, obv don't mind spending thousands fixing their bikes.

Had a very slow ride yesterday did 20min longer than last year. An appalling time of 6h27 but no crashes and I enjoyed a swim in a mountain stream and gassed it home from the last official water point and loved the single track..very welvanpas like! Stayed next to team bulls what a nice bunch of guys. Chatted to them and their mechanics. Hope everyone that came had a good weekend despite the families missing out today.

No worries...

Was there any stress in or around Sabie with he protests?

No worries...

Was there any stress in or around Sabie with he protests?

No, was very peaceful Saturday and Sunday, at least until we left at about 1:00.

Sunday's ride was a bit muddy but otherwise very typical of Sabie, it's either hot or wet on the Sabie mountains but a great ride none the less.

How about some positive feedback for this one? I haven't seen any of the complaints that have been plaguing Advendurance lately and personally, though I really suffered from a severe lack of fitness, cant fault the organisers anywhere on this one. I was reasonably far back in the field and all water points were well stocked when I rolled (walked) in, which couldn't have been easy to manage considering how unbearably hot and humid it was. Also, the route was easy to follow and registration was swift. What more can you ask for really.

It's one thing to complain when things go wrong but lets also give credit when they get it right.

Organisation and registration were smooth and faultless as all advendurance events I have ever done. Will be interested to hear how many cyclists participated as town was much quieter than last year. No riots or any problems but restaurants were short on food and stafF. All was good.

River Rat yes that was me in the stream how did you know??? You should have said. Talk about ironic moniker much?

Organisation and registration were smooth and faultless as all advendurance events I have ever done. Will be interested to hear how many cyclists participated as town was much quieter than last year. No riots or any problems but restaurants were short on food and stafF. All was good.

River Rat yes that was me in the stream how did you know??? You should have said. Talk about ironic moniker much?

Drawn to water like a moth to a flame! I thought I recognised you but when you're my age the line "Don't I know you" comes across quite lame! It was your post that confirmed it. Looks like we finished within seconds of each other so an opportunity missed to ride with a fellow hubber, till next time. Clarens perhaps?

How about some positive feedback for this one? I haven't seen any of the complaints that have been plaguing Advendurance lately and personally, though I really suffered from a severe lack of fitness, cant fault the organisers anywhere on this one. I was reasonably far back in the field and all water points were well stocked when I rolled (walked) in, which couldn't have been easy to manage considering how unbearably hot and humid it was. Also, the route was easy to follow and registration was swift. What more can you ask for really.

It's one thing to complain when things go wrong but lets also give credit when they get it right.

Spot on, I agree.  Everything about this race was just perfect in my experience. The marathon on Saturday was a challenge in the heat especially the last 10km but the refreshment station were well stocked. 

On the Sunday I took part in the fun race for the first time ever to support my girlfriend, the weather was perfect and it was really fun to just chill at the back and see the event from a different perspective.

To Advendurance and the locals who made this event possible considering the town protest, well done and keep it up.  

I found the actual organisation of this race to be flawless. Not a single complaint from me. With all the chaos they had to deal with leading up to the event, it went super smoothly.

Stand out point for me, is that the drinks were always ICE cold. Even the last refreshment station on the Ultra (Which was services all the different races), supplied cold drinks.

The people were also awesome. So friendly, and providing encouragement through the really tough conditions.

I really enjoyed the race, through all the suffering. The last 10km of each loop were just so much fun. So welcome at the end of the tough climbing.

I found that this weekend in Sabie was one of the best experiences I had at an Advendurance event since Hakahana (Trailseeker) last year.

The biggest positive feedback from me is the well stocked and friendly water points on route.  The 4th water point (5km from finish) on the Marathon route was a blessing, but had me worried as well.  I'm just not sure if they were really all that well prepared, or that they got lucky with the low number of cyclist arriving at the start.

For a event with limited marshals, the route was well and clearly marked. Had no issues on course where we could be uncertain of where we where going.

I also do prefer the events that happens over multiple days, that means that water points is not shared my Ultra, Marathon, Half & Fun rides.  Also had a great experience at Clarens (2 day event) last year, so looking forward to it in April.

In short; I'm very happy that I went to Sabie! The route was tough (as expected) and all the services around the event (registration, water points & venue) was very good.

Edited by CarlodB

My first time ever sweeping the Ultra and Half Marathon. Came across a couple teams that's doing the Epic, but struggled alot on the Sabie Ultra.

And on the Half Marathon i got to ride with a Hippie. Her bike had those tossles, and little bells on and even a basket in-front. This was the first time that i actually stop and look at the views in a race and talk to people. 

I take my hat off to all those backmarkers. When the route got really difficult and steep, they have this never say died attitude and wont give up. They push through the cramps and even shed some tears, but the words giving up, just aint in their vocabulary.

This was one of my best Sabie experiences i had....

a BIG THANKS to all involved in the Sabie race.

Weather was awesome , mist and all.

As usual watering holes were well stocked.

The guys/gals manning them were all willing to help us

strugglers that were dragging our bikes up the hills.

Had a great day out enjoying the pain that that route dished out.

Had a lot of fun and a few laughs on the single track.

Bring on next year.....