Absa Cape Epic Prologue moves to Meerendal

Matt

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Helderberg trails would have been a better option.

Every year the Tour de France has its fair share of protesters and they're dealt with. If the organizers are scared of protesters just invite Bernard Hinault to preside over proceedings. Not afraid of a few punches that one.

Lourensford would have been the only suitable venue in the Helderberg area, but it is rumoured that Lourensford's venue fees would be too expensive. Since the last agreement with Lourensford lapsed, the love affair ended.

Back to the real issue. South Africa unfortunately is becoming a joke. I am not a serious MTB’ker, trying to get my 7 to 9 hours in a week.  I can just imagine how the Epic riders must feel, after all the training and prep.  For most the prologue is the start of a real life challenge! What better place to start this challenge than the signature mountain in South Africa, maybe in the world. I watched the Epic everyday on Supersport, and the first day is by far the best advertising of our country!

These type of “unrest” nonsense never really had an impact on me, but now that my son could not write his Accountancy test today at Tukkies (he is happy it is his birthday), it is now becoming more than a frustration. He is a second year student, working hard to try and build a future. The majority of the students’ plans are derailed by a few.  Why do we allow this?

It is sad that we accept to bow to a few that is making life uncomfortable, in stead of addressing the problems. I believe a lack of a few basic principles of the human nature is missing. Respect for people is no more.  Just look at the way most people drive their cars, and act if they are the only living beings on earth. No respect for any rules or laws.

If our policing was up to standard, violent protests will be the exception not the norm.  I have witnessed a number of protests in Europe, but never see police allowing refuse bags being thrown at them. https://www.facebook.com/AfriForum-136542513044323/?fref=nf&ft[tn]=kC&ft[qid]=6253041422318381624&ft[mf_story_key]=6010357480265348720&ft[ei]=AI%4072936390f6958d4234971768106744e9&ft[fbfeed_location]=1&ft[insertion_position]=54&__md__=1

So, the Epic, a world famous race, has now also fallen the “let us destroy everything that might result in pleasure for someone else” attitude in our country.

I do not think this was the right decision, but would have probably made the same call, if I were organizing the event.  Even Sabie almost did not happen this weekend!  Good luck, and hope that the protest is not moved the Meerendal!

Getting a whisky and waiting for the bullets!

Back to the real issue. South Africa unfortunately is becoming a joke. I am not a serious MTB’ker, trying to get my 7 to 9 hours in a week. I can just imagine how the Epic riders must feel, after all the training and prep. For most the prologue is the start of a real life challenge! What better place to start this challenge than the signature mountain in South Africa, maybe in the world. I watched the Epic everyday on Supersport, and the first day is by far the best advertising of our country!

These type of “unrest” nonsense never really had an impact on me, but now that my son could not write his Accountancy test today at Tukkies (he is happy it is his birthday), it is now becoming more than a frustration. He is a second year student, working hard to try and build a future. The majority of the students’ plans are derailed by a few. Why do we allow this?

It is sad that we accept to bow to a few that is making life uncomfortable, in stead of addressing the problems. I believe a lack of a few basic principles of the human nature is missing. Respect for people is no more. Just look at the way most people drive their cars, and act if they are the only living beings on earth. No respect for any rules or laws.

If our policing was up to standard, violent protests will be the exception not the norm. I have witnessed a number of protests in Europe, but never see police allowing refuse bags being thrown at them. https://www.facebook.com/AfriForum-136542513044323/?fref=nf&ft[tn]=kC&ft[qid]=6253041422318381624&ft[mf_story_key]=6010357480265348720&ft[ei]=AI%4072936390f6958d4234971768106744e9&ft[fbfeed_location]=1&ft[insertion_position]=54&__md__=1

So, the Epic, a world famous race, has now also fallen the “let us destroy everything that might result in pleasure for someone else” attitude in our country.

I do not think this was the right decision, but would have probably made the same call, if I were organizing the event. Even Sabie almost did not happen this weekend! Good luck, and hope that the protest is not moved the Meerendal!

Getting a whisky and waiting for the bullets!

I hope to be the first respondent.

Great post.

Congratulations in your son's birthday and best wishes on his exams. Benefit is that he has a little more time to study now.

I hope to be the first respondent.

Great post.

Congratulations in your son's birthday and best wishes on his exams. Benefit is that he has a little more time to study now.

Thanks Hairy.  He was actually well prepared.  His dad is also a beancounter, so he gets a verbal exam before the time.  

Can't understand why Epic did not approach SACS or Westerford schools (800 meters down the road from UCT) and move start/finish to one these fine institutions rather than default to Meerendal. IMHO Meerendal took the first opportunity to 'grab' the event.

Can't understand why Epic did not approach SACS or Westerford schools (800 meters down the road from UCT) and move start/finish to one these fine institutions rather than default to Meerendal. IMHO Meerendal took the first opportunity to 'grab' the event.

I think the issue has to do with overall safety and concern.

Having parked cars, expensive bicycles and a host of other 'white privilege' symbols so close to what has turned into an uncontrollable, unpredictable warzone would be absolute hell.

The international reputation of the race would be shattered if our esteemed leaders of tomorrow people built pyres out of all the carbon bikes and necklaced some of the Dutch riders for invading and settling their lands 500 years ago....

It is a sensible call. My heart says boooo but in reality, hosting an event like that in the heart of the hornets nest is not clever at all.... 

Meerendal is a borefest BUT where else do they have it?  

Personally I would rather all the back brake sliding lycra monkeys ruined already crap trails than destroy what little gleaming gems we have left...

I think the issue has to do with overall safety and concern.

Having parked cars, expensive bicycles and a host of other 'white privilege' symbols so close to what has turned into an uncontrollable, unpredictable warzone would be absolute hell.

The international reputation of the race would be shattered if our esteemed leaders of tomorrow people built pyres out of all the carbon bikes and necklaced some of the Dutch riders for invading and settling their lands 500 years ago....

It is a sensible call. My heart says boooo but in reality, hosting an event like that in the heart of the hornets nest is not clever at all....

Meerendal is a borefest BUT where else do they have it?

Personally I would rather all the back brake sliding lycra monkeys ruined already crap trails than destroy what little gleaming gems we have left...

Gently bud - that's offensive

I was thinking off Stellies and Coetzenburg, doing a loop around the mountains, then I thought of OS. Dang.

correcto mundo. The way things have spilled over to Tuks I would not be surprised if OS find something to protest about soon.

Gently bud - that's offensive

If you are joking about my 'lycra Monkey' quip, then yes. It was meant to be a laugh at the expense of those who ruin trails. (See the state of the Red Phoenix after Origin of trails).

If you genuinely were offended by anything I wrote why? If they are willing to burn paintings, monuments, pictures, busses, bakkies, cars and trains, why not a few bicycles and television equipment? Why stop there... 

The point is, it is so out of hand the event organizers were forced to move the venue. Not by choice but by reasonable deduction.

If you are joking about my 'lycra Monkey' quip, then yes. It was meant to be a laugh at the expense of those who ruin trails. (See the state of the Red Phoenix after Origin of trails).

If you genuinely were offended by anything I wrote why? If they are willing to burn paintings, monuments, pictures, busses, bakkies, cars and trains, why not a few bicycles and television equipment? Why stop there...

The point is, it is so out of hand the event organizers were forced to move the venue. Not by choice but by reasonable deduction.

Light hearted is ok - but just because you wear baggies does not mean you don't ruin trails - the rest of your post is fair comment - the actions of a few are reprehensible - but the University (which is my alma mater) has assured us that actions are being taken and arrests have been made with more to follow.