Absa Cape Epic Prologue moves to Meerendal

Matt

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The trails on Meerendal is quickly degrading. You can clearly see that not much time and effort is spent on the maintenance of the trails.

I use to ride them often, but lately I spend more time on the actual "Tygerberg" trails.

Rode Meerendal two weekends ago, and I was surprised to see the poor condition of the trails. Dorstberg climb is the worst, the vehicles taking the paragliders to the launching site at the top is wreaking havoc on it. 

The trails on Meerendal is quickly degrading. You can clearly see that not much time and effort is spent on the maintenance of the trails.

I use to ride them often, but lately I spend more time on the actual "Tygerberg" trails.

Rode Meerendal two weekends ago, and I was surprised to see the poor condition of the trails. Dorstberg climb is the worst, the vehicles taking the paragliders to the launching site at the top is wreaking havoc on it. 

In my opinion Meerendal is the least enjoyable of the whole Tygerberg Trail network. Hardly ever ride there. And it is super busy.

I suppose the Argus cycle tour will also be re-routed away from UCT ?

Must say I think its a bad call from the Epic. The prologue is still a few weeks away. The route is mostly nowhere near the campus anyway. Bring in some security and away you go.  I was looking forward to the crash video from THE Single Track :-)

I think some money changed hands. It's strange how they talk about meerendal's network of trails. . . It's more the tygerberg network of trails

Last time I checked, Meerendal operates independently from TBMTBC with regards to management and maintenance of the trails. TBMTBC members have access to use the Meerendal trails (presumably the club had to pay an annual usage fee?). The last prologue was held primerily on Meerendal with Hoogekraal also being used and access via the quarry and 1 or 2 other neighbours who is not part of the TBMTBC network. Furthermore the new owners of Meerendal deals in Euros, so I doubt whether this was a consideration at all.

I like it that they identified the risk early and made the call now. As far as suitable venues go for a prologue, there are less than what we would like to think. It is probably a bit of a lazy decision as they can merely roll out the previous prologue route, but I prefer this than having to make the call to cancel the prologue 2 days before the start of the event. It is probably also the closest next best thing to CT. Riders would have booked accommodation etc. for registration and the prologue, and keeping it close to CT makes sense. Just as a matter of interest, what other prologue venue does the esteemed bikehub community think should have been used given that there is a month left to put everything into place?

Lots of Friday-litus today with very little constructive comments it seems.

Must say I think its a bad call from the Epic. The prologue is still a few weeks away. The route is mostly nowhere near the campus anyway. Bring in some security and away you go.  I was looking forward to the crash video from THE Single Track :-)

I don't think its the trails that is the problem. It is the start/finish area with media and the worlds eyes on it. Imagine the chaos the protesters can cause with all the supporters, and all of it on live television...