Deliberate hit and run in Cradle - Help ID Culprit

Furbz

Thanks for the update Furbz.

The only reasons why the state prosecutor could decide not to prosecute is if there is a problem with the evidence (which could be a result of there being no witnesses or the witnesses being unreliable/unlikely to show in court) or if the case is of such a trifling nature that it doesn't warrant time in court.

Here there's no problem with witnesses (clearly), and I can't see how the incident cannot be seen in a very serious light. At worst (for the driver) he could be charged with attempted murder; at best common assault (I think assault GBH would be more appropriate).

Don't know whether you've been in contact with the prosecutor's office - if you haven't, you might want to get in contact with them and impress upon them how serious you are and how serious the incident is. Can't see them throwing it out on the basis that it would be a waste of the court's time - unless, of course, someone's palm has been greased along the way.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In which case you can take the law into your own hands and give the muppet a good kicking!

i'll give a full update in a bit.

but effectively he went back on his initial decent response.

we turned his offer down as it offered a partial compensation with the condition we admit we were at fault.

so clearly he does not care what he has done.

we are now pushing forward on the criminal case. It is our understanding it is currently being reviewed to ensure court time is not wasted. ie if the case has proper grounding. (i'm not to clued up this side of things)

the way we see it, he has everything to lose should this go against him.

(something he otherwise could have avoided)

How is that a person offers partial compensation if the other party was in the wrong? Just not logical. Go get him.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Edited by JXV

The only reasons why the state prosecutor could decide not to prosecute is if there is a problem with the evidence (which could be a result of there being no witnesses or the witnesses being unreliable/unlikely to show in court) or if the case is of such a trifling nature that it doesn't warrant time in court.

Here there's no problem with witnesses (clearly), and I can't see how the incident cannot be seen in a very serious light. At worst (for the driver) he could be charged with attempted murder; at best common assault (I think assault GBH would be more appropriate).

Don't know whether you've been in contact with the prosecutor's office - if you haven't, you might want to get in contact with them and impress upon them how serious you are and how serious the incident is. Can't see them throwing it out on the basis that it would be a waste of the court's time - unless, of course, someone's palm has been greased along the way.

most likely a reckless and Negligence charge..as you would battle to prove intent

best sentence after compensation would be to remove all his vehicles and then make him use a bicycle full time with daily check-in points...yes...I am dreaming

Haven't seen this post before, but I think a big thanks is owed to Furbz for following through with this. As long as this bell end is facing potential charges he'll most likely be on his best behavior whilst behind the wheel in the cradle, keeping the rest of us a lot safer.

Chapeau mate. 

Great that you have stood your ground, best of luck going forward that you properly tie him up. He's taking a fat chance not settling before trial, he's got everything to lose and you everything to gain.

Edited by Skylark

Stuff this guy.

I ride the Cradle often and I am not ok with a dude who thinks that its ok doing this being on the road.

Well done for standing your and OUR ground!!

What we know:

• The Number plate of vehicle is DH 00 DL GP or DH 00 GL GP. most likely DL
  • The Driver is a very Large White male dressed in Khaki clothing - i suspect he is a local farmer in the area. Barrel Bellied.

Just bumping this info, beware of his car.

i'll give a full update in a bit.

but effectively he went back on his initial decent response.

we turned his offer down as  it offered a partial compensation with the condition we admit we were at fault. 

so clearly he does not care what he has done.

we are now pushing forward on the criminal case. It is our understanding it is currently being reviewed to ensure court time is not wasted. ie if the case has proper grounding. (i'm not to clued up this side of things)

the way we see it, he has everything to lose should this go against him.

(something he otherwise could have avoided)

Thanks for the update and standing your ground. Good luck Furbz

Furbz, I think it goes without saying that there are plenty of people on the Hub who are more than willing to step in and help in whatever way we can if you get gatvol with the process.

Just post if you get to that point.

• 3 months later...

Lets look at this objectively.

He gets found out and goes to court, fined, police hassle him whatever etc...

He is probably going to come out of this even angrier at cyclists.... This is unfortunately just the reality, and his mates will probably hear about it around the braai, and take his side too. If he is the type of person to brake on some cyclists, he is probably also the type of person who will not take responsibility for his actions. He might be forced to “admit” he was wrong, but he probably will not "believe" it.

Here is what we can do:

ALWAYS report this behaviour so that is becomes known that we will not stand for it. Always pursue it so that actual action is taken, and make sure it gets coverage.

However, it will put greater pressure on us to abide by the rules of the road.

If I lived in the cradle and my wife sent me to buy bread and milk on a Saturday morning, and I had to sit behind group after group of riders 4 abreast over and over, I would likely also develop a hatred for cyclists.

So in summary, keep our side clean and go after those who endanger our lives to set a precedent that aggressive driving towards cyclists will not be tolerated.

I don't mean to hijack this important thread but I agree. If I park at Something Country I will not drive back down via Avianto en route home due to the number of cyclists who believe they have the road to themselves....then if you just give a quick "beep" to warn them you are behind them, the insults start and middle finger comes out....Cyclists we need to keep our side clean and correct too!

Now that Ive read the entire thread, start to finish.. im itching for an update to this saga..

Hoping the **** got his just rewards.

Saw this on Tweeter ...

Cycling Direct ‏@CyclingDirectSA  1h1 hour ago
Meeting with #Cradle residents later this week to try and resolve issues between the parties. Anyone who may have valid input please DM

Edited by NotSoBigBen

Support

Furbz, I think it goes without saying that there are plenty of people on the Hub who are more than willing to step in and help in whatever way we can if you get gatvol with the process.

Just post if you get to that point.

rt

Or that there was a different story coming from the bakkie driver...

I mean how do you prang into a back of a car that you know is causing *** unless you are chasing it ?