Why I have to wait ANOTHER year to crack a sub 3 Argus

carbon29er

In 2006 I got dropped on the rise into Ocean View and saw the front of my group crack a sub 3. Those 10 metres cost me 5 minutes by the time I got to Green Point. As I was riding the Epic a few weeks later and was fit as thought I could be I did the only thing I could reasonably do. I retired from the Argus. The next 5 years were spent doing other stuff, mainly eating and drinking. That Sunday in March was spent on Suikerbossie, beers and braai in hand supporting my wife and friends.

During the 2011 event I decided I had sulked long enough and should have another go at a sub 3. So I started training, lost 18kg and worked through the seeding from the back. Only setback was a fractured clavicle in Tokai on Christmas Eve 2011.

By that Sunday in March 2012 I was ready only to lose the 18 strong guys of C batch on little Chappies. They cracked it. I rolled in with the next 40 guys of C in 3:00:40.  595th in the Argus after 5 years off.

But I was just not strong enough when it mattered.

So for 2013 I set out to be stronger and fitter. By March I was in superb condition and lined up in B, full of confidence. I had a superb race, was in the right place every time I had to be and forced the break on little Chappies with 13 other B strong men. A sub 3 was there for the taking with a safety margin. Then I punctured in Sea Point at the roundabout on Beach Road. My fellow escapees cracked 2:58:38. I knew if I stopped it would be over. So I rode on a flat rear wheel and got slower and slower. I was passed by 45 B riders as I limped in in 3:00:31 for 501st in the Argus. Devastated.

2014 race was a ride as I broke my back in May 2013 and I was happy with a 3:03:49 and a top 700. 2015 was meant to be my year but the fires meant everyone got a sub 3.

So to 2016 Argus. Simple goals. Weight down to less than anything I'd seen since I left school 36 years ago. FTP and PPO up. Happy to say all goals achieved and I was feeling fast, strong and light. One Tonner. DC. Distance and pace. Ready to conquer my 180 minute bogey.

Hungry for months, hours and hours on a 143mm wide piece of plastic, exhausted by nightfall ready to sleep to go again before sunrise nest day. All for the search for 32 seconds. FTP up on previous years, VO2 max at kids levels, PPO up above what I dreamed of. 

One more week of power work then taper. Training largely done. But first a gentle coffee ride with a few mates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftdb2yMJmD0

Alas. Hit a ditch in Lakeside and hit the tar. Fractured right clavicle, scapula and acromion. As serious as it gets, basically like falling off an 8 story building is what the surgeon said. 5 hour surgery and in a sling for weeks. Will be lucky to get 70% use of my shoulder in future.

2017 will have to be it. I can't retire again.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...thx for getting out of bed to give me my two Bottle Cages I bought,...(that shoulder looked EINA????)

HEAL UP SOON

Eina, that's terrible timing! Tell 'em to add some titanium to the shoulder! Better than carbon. Heal well and quickly. 2017 has your name on it!

Oh no that sucks, I admire your perseverance.

Have you written the City a letter? Those 'ditches' are supposed to be sorted out asap, makes me mad when they cut a trench and leave it for days (which looking at the video was the situation). You may have a case, at least for your bills and bike, unless it was an emergency/ broken pipe scenario they are supposed to fix it without delay.

All the best.

Oh no that sucks, I admire your perseverance.

Have you written the City a letter? Those 'ditches' are supposed to be sorted out asap, makes me mad when they cut a trench and leave it for days (which looking at the video was the situation). You may have a case, at least for your bills and bike, unless it was an emergency/ broken pipe scenario they are supposed to fix it without delay.

All the best.

Even if they fill it in it always end up an inch or 2 below the road surface. Tough on wheels, skin and bones!

Ouch... that is a beast. Know the feeling (though to a way lesser degree). Just back on the road after hitting the tar in November and bouncing along on my collar bone. 

Listen to everyone. Keep the sling on for as long as they say, do the exercises and don't do dumb guy stuff with it even if you think it's fine and you'll come back strong. I know a lot of people have told you but it's going to take a long time and be very boring... but I'm sure work will keep you busy! 

Good luck and heal fast. 

that sucks, really sucks...i've been in and out of hospitals a few times and they suck too.

Hope you get better, stronger and faster...

Archived