SWAGG

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the second loop possible from E?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Yes. E will start at 6:31. One can do a 3 30 loop an still be back in time to start with another group. Think groups start til 10:30 but stand to be corrected on that.

I see that this year you can only ride the Twitter Ride if you are riding the Cycle Challenge and you have your race number on your bike.

post-4874-0-65253100-1479273557_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bonus

I see that this year you can only ride the Twitter Ride if you are riding the Cycle Challenge and you have your race number on your bike.

I wonder how they're going to 'police' this? A group ride on an open road, albeit with marshals and police, but it might be tricky to stop someone joining as the ride leaves Northgate.....?

So the Twitter ride is basically discriminating against the cyclists that can't get to the dome during the week - the Twitter rider starts before the registration opens on Saturday.

The person may have entered, but won't have their "bike steeka".

How is the Twitter ride? Any fun? 

The first one I rode was with my step daughter in 2012 with Chris Froome and Robbie Hunter. Had a nice long chat with both of them while riding and got some nice pics after. Also had a nice chat with Phil Liggett afterwards. I enjoyed it.

post-4874-0-69928800-1479287194_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-23199400-1479287261_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-27360500-1479287268_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-84296800-1479287291_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bonus

I would like some advice please.

I will be riding with a few of my mates in a charity group (some of them are doing the 94.7 for the first time). Our goal is to just finish the race, and enjoy the day out on the bike (so no racing involved etc). Are there any tips anyone can think of that will be useful for someone doing it for the first time other than what I could think of below?

1. Do not push to hard in the beginning (keep some matches for Ceder and Steyn City).
  2. Do not ride in the yellow line (ride where the car's drive, as the road is cleaner there, and therefore less punctures).
  3. Do not bunch at the start of the water table to get something to drink (the water tables are very long), ride past the water tables and get your drink close to the end of the water tables.
  4. Watch out for riders backing away from a water table with their bike between their legs.
  5. When passing the Bar One ladies, try to keep full control of your bike.
  6. Stay away from the Tequila table at Zoo Lake.

Any advice or tips will be much appreciated.

First time round for Wendy (on an MTB) I told her  - pedal hard on the uphills, cos you have to. Pedal gently on the flats - just to keep going. Don't pedal on the descents - you don't need to.

She made it nicely.

I would like some advice please.

I will be riding with a few of my mates in a charity group (some of them are doing the 94.7 for the first time). Our goal is to just finish the race, and enjoy the day out on the bike (so no racing involved etc). Are there any tips anyone can think of that will be useful for someone doing it for the first time other than what I could think of below?

1. Do not push to hard in the beginning (keep some matches for Ceder and Steyn City).
  2. Do not ride in the yellow line (ride where the car's drive, as the road is cleaner there, and therefore less punctures).
  3. Do not bunch at the start of the water table to get something to drink (the water tables are very long), ride past the water tables and get your drink close to the end of the water tables.
  4. Watch out for riders backing away from a water table with their bike between their legs.
  5. When passing the Bar One ladies, try to keep full control of your bike stop and ask for a chok-lit.
  6. Stay away from Enjoy the Tequila table at Zoo Lake.
  7. Stop at a coffee shop or pub along the route - more is better. Jan Smuts avenue had a few.

Any advice or tips will be much appreciated.

Fixed some for you, and added some.

You're there to enjoy it, so make it a fun day out. What time is your group starting?

You have 6 hours after the last start group to finish, so plenty time.

Fixed some for you, and added some.

You're there to enjoy it, so make it a fun day out. What time is your group starting?

You have 6 hours after the last start group to finish, so plenty time.

Thanks for the advice.

We will be starting at 8:33 in group DD.

Thanks for the advice.

We will be starting at 8:33 in group DD.

So you have plenty time (about 8 hours) to finish the event.

If fun is your goal, and not time - then soak in the atmosphere and enjoy it. Look for the people on the side of the road handing out beers, drinks, water and take from them. Douglas Drive before Witkoppen is another hot spot for the crowds, and possible stop points to "rehydrate".

That's what I'm planning for my second lap - pure fun and no racing.