[Event] 947 Cycle Challenge 2016

SWAGG

**** you to the lady who switched my friend going up Ceder road and road away. (TIL my friend is a tough cookie. Her first ride and she get's taken out, grazes down the side of her leg hip and arm. Before I could say humpty dumpty, she had poped a Myprodol, and was back on the bike.)

</rant>

Very well done to the organisers! Small things make a big difference. The display board a the start of the pens to indicate what group was loading made the start far less stressful.

</rave>

Edited by GaryvdM

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange my Garmin time vs my racetech time has a diffrence of nearly 1m 10 seconds and I still started it before the timing mates. Luckily it still gives me an official time of 2h59m09sec .... Eeekkkk that was close . But good enough for me either way ????????

I couldn't of gone any faster,left nothing out there. And finished in top third of my group which is very cool.

I'm pretty sure the time starts when the gun goes (i.e. everyone in that group have the same start time), and not when you cross the timing mats

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="GaryvdM" data-cid="3010729" data-time="1479660323"><p>**** you to the lady who switched my friend going up Ceder road and road away. (TIL my friend is a tough cookie. Her first ride and she get's taken out, grazes down the side of her leg hip and arm. Before I could say humpty dumpty, she had poped a Myprodol, and was back on the bike.) Very well done to the organisers! Small things make a big difference. The display board a the start of the pens to indicate what group was loading made the start far less stressful.

Strange my Garmin time vs my racetech time has a diffrence of nearly 1m 10 seconds and I still started it before the timing mates. Luckily it still gives me an official time of 2h59m09sec .... Eeekkkk that was close . But good enough for me either way

I couldn't of gone any faster,left nothing out there. And finished in top third of my group which is very cool.

Well done on the time!

Your race time is from group start time to finish mat time, not start mat to finish mat. The start mats are only used to determine what group you started in. If you start mid to back of the group, you will have a slower time.

While this system makes sense for the guys racing for prizes (Elites, Vets, etc.), it's counter productive for the alphabet soup, as it encourages people to push in at the front of the group at the start.

Edited by GaryvdM

I disagree there. I hit start on my polar as I crossed the mat and hit stop as I crossed the mat. The difference in time between my result and Racetec result is a negligible

**** you to the lady who switched my friend going up Ceder road and road away. (TIL my friend is a tough cookie. Her first ride and she get's taken out, grazes down the side of her leg hip and arm. Before I could say humpty dumpty, she had poped a Myprodol, and was back on the bike.)

Very well done to the organisers! Small things make a big difference. The display board a the start of the pens to indicate what group was loading made the start far less stressful.

she clearly is tough as nails,most ladies especially on there first race would of bottled it and understandably so...serious Kudo's to her ????

I disagree there. I hit start on my polar as I crossed the mat and hit stop as I crossed the mat. The difference in time between my result and Racetec result is a negligible

either way the aim was sub 3 and that was achieved ...albiet by a small margin. And learnt more lessons again. So all good ???? Edited by Pikey

either way the aim was sub and that was achieved ...albiet by a small margin. And learnt more lessons again. So all good

Indeed

I loved the fact that so many folk achieved what they wanted too, whether it was to finish in 5 hrs or under 3.

The second lap was a total eye opener in terms of regular Joe and Mandy out for the day enjoying the route and freedom of the city.

That's where the value lies

Strange my Garmin time vs my racetech time has a diffrence of nearly 1m 10 seconds and I still started it before the timing mates. Luckily it still gives me an official time of 2h59m09sec .... Eeekkkk that was close . But good enough for me either way ????????

Well done dude.

First ever 947 done and dusted. Will be back next year.

Great day spoiled by my own "reckless" behavior after the finish. I lost my Sigma Rox 10 Bike Comp somewhere between the medal area and the hospitality area.

If anyone picked it up, please send me a PM.

Rest up well.

Check with lost and found. A number of items were handed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done dude.

Thanks dude,had to dig deep at the end. Well done on your massive improvement and an awesome time. Next year for sure sub 3hr ????

It was my first 94.7. I was unseeded so only started at 9:30 with MM. Rode on my niner single speed. Was quite tough with the knobbies and the HEAT! I started cramping with 15 km to go. Finally finished on 4:57. Think I could have shaved a half hour off if it wasn't for the cramps.

I find it really hard to stay in any large bunch .There is a lot more to road cycling and fast times than being fit .Those surges and untimely breakaways kills me .Getting to Steyn city with 13 minutes spare to get my sub 3 gave new meaning to my pain threshold .I am happy with 2h56 but it felt so much harder than previous years .Well organized like always