[Event] 947 Cycle Challenge 2016

SWAGG

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well organized as usual love the new venue for charity hospitality.

Only complaint is SOME of the guys doing the double loop they dont give a crap about the guys starting late. Saw a hectic crash 10kms into the race where a VB rider clipped a slow lady

The most aggressive and rude riders where those doing the double lap.

They need to learn to wind in their egos, most of the late starters and charity groups are fun riders, these guys have done the race they paid for the 2nd lap is a bonus!

As RFC311 has stated, SOME of them doing a double loop spoil it for the others - not everyone.

Some people require a push, other require some roadside repairs, others appreciate the chit-chat along the way. If paying for a second lap went to charity instead of the organisers, I would sign up for 3 laps.

I am wondering about the number of entrants vs. starters/finishers. The organisers quoted 33,000 entrants in this year's race. Racetec has just under 20,500 timed finishers. That means that nearly 13,000 people either didn't start, didn't finish or rode without a chip. I know that there were a few people without chips getting past the marshalls (despite the organisers' "no chip, no ride" policy) and there will always be those that don't feel they can ride on the day and obviously those that don't finish, but 13,000 just seems really high to me.

I can't see how they got to 33,000 if they weren't even at 30 by the time entries closed. No ways there were 3000+ late entries…

Shew but the pace in VC was hot!

Had to burn quite a few matches on quite a few sections just to make sure i didn't fall out the back, till eventually going up Cedar, the match box was empty.

Happy with 2h26 after going into the weekend "well rested"  :blush:

Afterwards headed up William Nicol, down Leslie to Douglasdale and rode the last 20 odd km's with my GF and her two friends, taking turns to push them up the hills.

Overall, enjoyed the day out! 

:clap:

Shew but the pace in VC was hot!

Had to burn quite a few matches on quite a few sections just to make sure i didn't fall out the back, till eventually going up Cedar, the match box was empty.

Happy with 2h26 after going into the weekend "well rested"  :blush:

Afterwards headed up William Nicol, down Leslie to Douglasdale and rode the last 20 odd km's with my GF and her two friends, taking turns to push them up the hills.

Overall, enjoyed the day out! 

:clap:

Some serious cyclists here on the hub....that is 10 minutes from the winner, congrats...

This year was much "cooler" temperature wise than last year especially for the later starters.

I rode with SPCA last year, started at about 9ish....thought I was gonna melt by the time I got to Witkoppen and up to Lion Park!!!

My second lap avg temp 31°C max 36°C

Awesome event and organization was great this year, the race track was a nice addition but a bit tougher than expected. 

Rode in VB and got schooled again on that first climb inside Steyn City, geez those 2 hills are a killer inside that place. Will be back again next year to try again.

Only gripe is the price of the beers at the beer tent  :eek:

Well done to all involved.

Anyone else think the organising was a shambles?

The Start:

no clearly defined race group starting pens

- people were literally lining up all over the show

- commentator did not mention which race group was going off 

i stood around at the last circle with around 100 plus other riders waiting for the right time to go to the start line.

i know a Vets group got set off with only half the riders! the other half had to play catch up.

Prize giving:

all riders were in before 9am, why wait til 12?

- the crowd at prize giving was purely the racers and teams. i didn't see any fans standing around?

Second, why not announce the winners of each category?? - they left out 2 racing categories because they didnt have any results? - what had they been doing for 3 hours??

more to the point the categories they left out, the racers are there for the glory, not money. so not allowing them on stage is a real shame. even more so when the prizes were clearly on the table waiting to be awarded.

i also dont fully understand why the racing ladies only get a 1st and 2nd, what about 3rd? isn't that customary?

Next, i started A. dropped to B on the road, where we caught the racing vets ladies.

its my understanding that some got disqualified for drafting. but we caught the group near town and they were still with us at the finish. why didn't the commissaire just neutralize the ladies racing for 5min and split the group?

instead they arbitrarily disqualify a few girls for drafting. where to my eyes every lady was benefiting to some extent for more than 50% of their race.  

bizarre.

flame suit on.

Edited by Furbz

So it turns out Brendan Davids had not even planned to do the race, he was sitting in the substitution line with one of our boys on Saturday! Signed for a racing team next season in JHB :D

As romantic as that would be, it's not accurate.

At the Shova already, he said to us that he has his eye on this race....

Mapping the elevation profile over time instead of distance gives a much better indication of what one experiences on race day. Feels like constant climbing with really short breaks on the descents.

The angle of this graph will obviously vary depending on your climbing and descending speeds.

post-27827-0-24466600-1479718298_thumb.png

So it turns out Brendan Davids had not even planned to do the race, he was sitting in the substitution line with one of our boys on Saturday! Signed for a racing team next season in JHB :D

Is it true that Brenodan did this on a MTB?

I heard from other riders and they mentioned it Highveld this morning.

The most aggressive and rude riders where those doing the double lap.

They need to learn to wind in their egos, most of the late starters and charity groups are fun riders, these guys have done the race they paid for the 2nd lap is a bonus!

Ag shame.

Lovely day out on the bike; route was great fun and had a good vibe with awesome spectators.

Did see quite a few rogue riders - with no numbers / no chips. Why?

My 2nd 947 (4th road race) and managed a 2:51 from G-batch - so very happy with the result.

Will definitely be back next year with a decent seeding!

Is it true that Brenodan did this on a MTB?

I heard from other riders and they mentioned it Highveld this morning.

People obviously got their stories mixed up. He is a MTB rider traditionally, but that is surely not a MTB he is peddling in the picture.

post-27827-0-00069400-1479718609_thumb.png