Dopers suck

fandacious

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Zebra said:

Following the LINKY, but battling toFIND the Caster broadcast; despite searching, can you point me in right direction? Tx,  Chris

It’s in the beginning, from 8:17.

There are other podcasts on the matter, and I don’t take notes on every one. The gender debate has been discussed a lot (as a “caught my eye” piece”). If I get time, I’ll try go through and see what else I can find. 

8 hours ago, Shebeen said:

If it was only that simple. Under your rules you'd be happy for the very rare XX Males to compete as females then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XX_male_syndrome

They actually stopped chromosone testing in the 80s, after 20 years of quietly asking XYs competing as females to leave it went to courts. It would make the most sense to bring this back, with all exceptions, but easier said than done!

I agree that it’s not as binary as I make it out to be, but… it’s not complicated; probably made worse because it involves emotions, where someone would always be unhappy - inclusion vs fairness.

The doc (Ross Tucker) explains it much easier, and I’m on his side of the fence w.r.t. women having the right to have their own category without male interference.

On 7/25/2023 at 6:52 AM, mazambaan said:

Slight change from Caster; Kenyans getting a bit of attention as serial dopers. Who would have thought?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/66223437

If you've watched any Diamond League athletics, this makes total sense.

Records tumbling at EVERY event. This early in the season too? I smell a FAT RAT. 

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

It’s in the beginning, from 8:17.

There are other podcasts on the matter, and I don’t take notes on every one. The gender debate has been discussed a lot (as a “caught my eye” piece”). If I get time, I’ll try go through and see what else I can find. 

I think he asks which episode in particular. 

4 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

I think he asks which episode in particular. 

I posted the original link to the episode in my post. I added Acast for the non-Apple users.

Original link posted (Apple) 
https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/the-real-science-of-sport-podcast/id1461719225?i=1000621667379

Avast link

https://play.acast.com/s/realscienceofsport/tour-de-france-cyclings-greatest-individual-time-trial-expla

The Instagram page also has an easy way of searching.
https://linktr.ee/scienceofsportpodcast

17 hours ago, Mamil said:

I wouldn't spend the night with anyone who called me cupcake. 🧁

Cupcake.... All I can think of is the vicious spread of pink eye and you guys giving each other morning fart Cupcakes while playfully putting on your jimjams

19 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Surely your birth certificate says all? That document doesn’t change or can a transgender change their BC now? I don’t know where the world is with this right now since it’s all going bedornerd

I think this will explain a lot.

50 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I think this will explain a lot.

I've been listening to the Ross Tucker podcasts which has been good for different perspectives

2 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

If you've watched any Diamond League athletics, this makes total sense.

Records tumbling at EVERY event. This early in the season too? I smell a FAT RAT. 

If you look at 5000m and upwards running records. There are only 2 obscure records that have not been broken since the introduction of carbon sprung running shoes. Surely that is also questionable, a technological advancement that clearly gives an advantage. There are a lot of questions around the Sub 2 hour marathon shoes and their legality. So there is a lot of technical advancements also at play in running currently

Ross mentioned something about the sub-4 mile is no longer being recognised as an achievement because the number of people breaking the barrier is in the thousands.

This all comes down to the shoes.

14 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Ross mentioned something about the sub-4 mile is no longer being recognised as an achievement because the number of people breaking the barrier is in the thousands.

This all comes down to the shoes.

The sub5 minute beermile was seen as less attainable than a sub2 marathon.

Then James "the Beast" Nielsen clocked the iconic 4:57, blew the world apart and now it stands at 4:27.

forget carbon shoes, carbon dioxide management is where it's at these days

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

If you look at 5000m and upwards running records. There are only 2 obscure records that have not been broken since the introduction of carbon sprung running shoes. Surely that is also questionable, a technological advancement that clearly gives an advantage. There are a lot of questions around the Sub 2 hour marathon shoes and their legality. So there is a lot of technical advancements also at play in running currently

agreed, but that toothpaste is out of the tube. intersting both the 3000m are still from the 90s, must be getting close there. Similiar in swimming with those speedsuits that reset the bar somewhere higher. since this is a cycling website we could look at technology and the hour record and decide if innovation is worth pursuing.

Edited by Shebeen

22 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

agreed, but that toothpaste is out of the tube. intersting both the 3000m are still from the 90s, must be getting close there. Similiar in swimming with those speedsuits that reset the bar somewhere higher. since this is a cycling website we could look at technology and the hour record and decide if innovation is worth pursuing.

I find it interesting how most long jump and high jump records stand for decades, very few people nowadays even get in the ballpark of distances/heights achieved in the 80s and earlier.

You would think with all the doping/improved training/diets etc those records would be falling, we can run faster, swim faster but cant jump higher and further than before/

35 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

The sub5 minute beermile was seen as less attainable than a sub2 marathon.

Then James "the Beast" Nielsen clocked the iconic 4:57, blew the world apart and now it stands at 4:27.

forget carbon shoes, carbon dioxide management is where it's at these days

Bellemore nearly broke his record a few weeks back. He lost a shoe in the first lap when a competitor fell so he didn't make it. But a 4:30 beer mile with 1 shoe on is a major athletic achievement...