Dopers suck

fandacious

I must confess that while I am all for exposing the dopers, I also feel that sponsors and race organisers have the life of the sport from a competitive perspective in their hands. I would do as much as possible to keep them on board. I don't think that a boycott of the races they organise and sponsor would help the sport necessarily.

It would be great if the dopers would be more humble, admit that they cheated instead of make up all manner of excuses, accept their ban/sanction and do something among the cycling community to discourage and expose doping.

http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/Politics/GTY_Martin_luther_kinG_jr_thg_130826_33x16_1600.jpg

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about convicted fraudsters from the corporate sector?

Or manslaughter from drunk driving, sexual assault, habitual recreational drug abuse etc?

Do one must do them all.

If I ride an event or race, I'm doing it because of what they provide for the riders and community in the area and for myself of course. Nothing else, I will not allow some other asshole's actions to deprive me of my experience. 

Good to pressure events on taking a stance, another thing altogether to roundly start slamming them as 'dirty events' because of how we personally feel. 

Good question but lets stick with one crime like fraud(which is closest to doping if you think about it)

Would you hire a previously convicted fraudster to do your books or work at your company....probably not. If you have a criminal record you have a zero to tokkol chance to get a job in my company due to screening procedures. So those are paying the price for the rest of their lives ito getting jobs....shouldn't professional cyclists as well?

They made the choice, there is a consequence. 

For how long should a person be punished? These guys were caught, they have been punished, they have served their sentence. You cannot keep on ostracising them for past mistakes.

Take Owen Hannie as an example. He was bust in 2000. That is 16 years ago. Now people are opening up old wounds. He has done more for cycling since then than most Hubbers put together.

Those of you that are intent on boycotting events that allow "rehabilitated dopers" to compete, put your money where your mouth is and cancel your Supersport subscription. If you are prepared to boycott events that allow ex-dopers, then boycott Supersport for employing ex-dopers.

Let me help you out here. Its not about punishing ex-dopers.

Its about creating a cullture of not accepting dopers, to help discourage other guys from doping in the future.

As Eddy put so well, if you make the price of doping too high, less people will tend to do it.

Ha ha. Imagine Nolan Hoffman never being allowed to race again in South Africa.....

Ha ha. Imagine Nolan Hoffman never being allowed to race again in South Africa.....

as someone else said, if he was an accountant, would he be welcomed back after his ban? most definitely not.... 

So whats with the stockholm syndrome we have with our sporting heroes?

I'm actually with Longbarn on this one. If someone has been caught doping and served their sentence, so be it. Move on. So a bunch of mtb events have banned previously convicted dopers, but are road events doing the same? Why is not much being said about Nolan Hoffman still winning so many road races? I don't see Brandon Stewart or any of those guys back winning mtb events..

What they should do is have different rules for previously convicted dopers. Test them more regularly, perhaps before every event? 

as someone else said, if he was an accountant, would he be welcomed back after his ban? most definitely not.... 

So whats with the stockholm syndrome we have with our sporting heroes?

But he is not an accountant! :w00t:

He is a cyclist - why the hate towards the guy? He served his time - move on

Setup a fund to assist SAIDS and maybe volunteer. Two of the biggest issues facing SAIDS.

SAIDS as I'm sure you know are responsible for a lot more that testing cyclists. One of their revenue streams is "Doping control sales" for which they received R2.428 million in the 2015 financial year. That is in addition tot he R22.764 million received from the State, Lottery and sponsorships. CSA members pay an annual fee to be a member of CSA and an additional amount for their licence. It is not unreasonable to expect that they deploy some of this licence fee for doping controls. Seems that funding is not as big of an issue as deciding what is the best strategy for deployment of the funding. Personally I think they are doing quite well with their strategy. They seem to have at least 80 doping control officers. Not sure how many dream of having but that seems like quite a lot. They did 2760 tests that year which means that each controller did on average 34.5 tests each for the year. Seems that they are not exactly over-utilised.

Not sure where you got your information from though.

*woooooosh*

I'm actually with Longbarn on this one. If someone has been caught doping and served their sentence, so be it. Move on. So a bunch of mtb events have banned previously convicted dopers, but are road events doing the same? Why is not much being said about Nolan Hoffman still winning so many road races? I don't see Brandon Stewart or any of those guys back winning mtb events..

What they should do is have different rules for previously convicted dopers. Test them more regularly, perhaps before every event? 

Die man kan 'n fiets trap!

Just show you, doping with McDonalds burger helps

erm... https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/news/mtb/sa-mtb/stewart-and-dreyer-clock-fastest-times-at-masters-marathon-champs-r4696?source=topic

Edited by Patchelicious

I obviously didn't read the article about the masters marathon champs before I posted this.. #faceplam

aikona....he is a professional, the rest of us are cyclists.....amateurs  

The same way I cook the books on my monthly excel spreadsheet to be able to afford that new hope brakeset will land me at worst on the couch for a evening, if I had to do the same in a professional capacity at a company...its fraud

Why waste time & money on ex-dopers by testing them more often?

Simply just ban them for life from events.

Problem easily solved without spending a cent.

I for one will not enter any event where convicted dopers are allowed to enter, it does not matter how nice or pretty or big the event is and will continue to encourage my buddies and everyone else to the same.