Dopers suck

fandacious

awesome! would love to add them!

can you get me a link to this in their t&c's ?

They released a statement quite a while ago actually shouldn't be hard to find.

Was round about the same time that sani2c and JHB2C released their statement on it..seeing as they all work closely together on the 3 events.

Edited by Gen

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They released a statement quite a while ago actually shouldn't be hard to find.

Was round about the same time that sani2c and JHB2C released their statement on it..seeing as they all work closely together on the 3 events.

I found a tweet where they say they take same stance as j2c - thanks!

I think the race organisers are getting sick of paying prize money to dopers and sick of them getting all that publicity.. where as that prize money could be spent better than funding a dopers pharmaceutical kitty.

I think the race organisers are getting sick of paying prize money to dopers and sick of them getting all that publicity.. where as that prize money could be spent better than funding a dopers pharmaceutical kitty.

Ride The berg have said they are reallocating prize money to the community and there is no prize money any more. I think this is great, as the main purpose of Ride The Berg is to raise funds for the local community.

Ride The berg have said they are reallocating prize money to the community and there is no prize money any more. I think this is great, as the main purpose of Ride The Berg is to raise funds for the local community.

[emoji122] [emoji122] brilliant

Question, shouldn't cheaters of any sort fall under the same ban...anyone who started in the wrong group, cuts a corner, goes off course and gains 10m advantage...used a TT bike in a Road race etc..

Just a thought. 

Edited by karma

Question, shouldn't cheaters of any sort fall under the same ban...anyone who started in the wrong group, cuts a corner, goes off course and gains 10m advantage...used a TT bike in a Road race etc..

Just a thought. 

We're talking about strictly defined rules - sanctions that are handed down by governing bodies. If the powers that be decide crossing a white line is a sanctionable offence, then sure - they can officially be labelled cheaters

Then you have races like Ride The Berg, who openly attacked Stu Rawlinson, then said on the phone to me and stu that that if we had actually bothered to read their website we would see clearly they dont condone dopers riding their races. I trawled their websites and never found anything. Then after that I was sms'd this message :

"Ridetheberg Statement going up today. 

Ridetheberg is a strong proponent of clean and drug-free sport.

As such, in line with the major MTB races in South Africa, we have adopted the policy that any rider, who is properly charged and convicted by the relevant cycling authorities of cheating by way of doping from 1 January 2016 going forward, will not be permitted to participate in any Ridetheberg events.

In addition, while all sport is by definition competitive, we are taking steps to completely dis-incentivize any form of cheating at Ridetheberg by doing away with participant prize money and re-allocating same to the local communities that are intended to be the primary beneficiaries of the event.

Ridetheberg also takes the position that we live and ride in a country that is governed by democratic principles and rule of law, and as such we are also strong proponents of equality and fairness, and we condemn any and all efforts to introduce an environment of arbitrary, inconsistent and extra-legal enforcement and justice in our sport. We believe that we all strive towards common goals, and welcome concerned riders to engage with the Race Organisers and/or the regulatory authorities further on the subject.

Ridetheberg is about Mountain Biking for the joy of riding and the love of the trails. "

Only to see this posted on twitter a short while ago - 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-05-09 at 12.48.51.png

are they confused?

If Cape epic can draw a line in the sand and say "No one sanctioned after 1 jan 2012 can ride our race", I cant see why every other piss willy race needs to justify their decisions to let cheats ride the race.

This is exactly what I was talking about... you're already upsetting the wrong people

And you resort to insulting the race now?

Do it properly and respectfully, or watch it fail

My last 2 cents  ;)

Yes, its as easy and simple as that. 

You have no idea.

Didn't mean to imply it was simple. Probably depends on whether a coach will always trust his athlete or not. Visa versa for telling a athlete he is giving him vitamins, when it's not

This is exactly what I was talking about... you're already upsetting the wrong people

And you resort to insulting the race now?

Do it properly and respectfully, or watch it fail

My last 2 cents  ;)

Yup - this matches me sentiment.

Fandacious has always been on the emotive side of the anti doper lobby. While I do appreciate his passion I am a proponent of "more flies with honey".

Fandacious has always been on the emotive side of the anti doper lobby. While I do appreciate his passion I am a proponent of "more flies with honey".

I agree, publishing a list of races that don't allow ex-dopers - great. 

Bashing & bullying race organisers on social media who don't buy into your narrow idea of how ex-dopers should be treated is wrong. No nuances, no discussion with this lynch mob - if you are not banning ex-dopers you are by implication fully supporting dopers and your race should suffer.

Like Andrew said, you are taking the fight to the wong people.

Damnit man. I cleaned my screen yesterday - now it's full of Costa Rica City Roast Cappuccino froth (I lolled as as I was about to take a sip). Still - that's better than actual coffee on the screen.

Guest Lancesball

Didn't mean to imply it was simple. Probably depends on whether a coach will always trust his athlete or not. Visa versa for telling a athlete he is giving him vitamins, when it's not

So if a athlete gets caught for doping, you saying that either the coach knew and did nothing or supplied him? I can tell you of 1 or 2 example that this is not the case in any way at all. No way.

With the cases in SA to date since David George was caught, do you not think that if an athlete takes a product from his/her coach and gets caught, do you not think he/she would of said something and ousted the coach to save their own bacon?

Of all the crew that have been caught do you know for sure they even had coaches? When I look at the list looks like all of them bar 1 or 2 were self trained or coached other people for that matter.

Some races (like @PEPlett) have taken a hard stance against dopers and refused to allow them to race, and stripped them of titles. Other races welcome previously sanctioned cheats back with open arms.

Its time for cyclists to take a stand and say: "We refuse to pay to enter a race that allows known cheats back into the fold".

To this end I'm compiling a list of "dirty" and "awesome" races.

I'd love the community help on this, so please let me know why a race is dirty or awesome

#doperssuck

http://doperssuck.co.za

I am going to generalize and apologies if my comments is seen as off topic.  I have not read all of the comments.  A couple of thoughts..........

This is a great idea except for the fact that so many dopers are still racing among us that have not been caught (yet).  They don't really test for age groupers / middle to back markers so we will never really know but there are many - and even the lab have now closed.  

How many of the riders at the Giro do you really believe to be clean?  They all judge doping and then boom another one gets caught and so the cycle repeat itself.  Professional cycling have proven it self over and over again that if you don't dope you cannot compete at the top half

I suspect that for every one doper who is now not racing an event there are still 5 uncaught riders out there.

Another question is that If a guy was banned for 2 years and he did his time why is he not allowed to race again if he is clean?  Don't we actually need these guys to preach the dangers of doping etc?

A while back Ironman they said they are very worried about the age groupers as studies shows there are a lot of doping happening (don't ask me how - maybe anonymous surveys).  They basically stated that wealthy businessmen especially like to dope as they don't have time to train properly but are competitive with other wealthy businessmen they know and due to funds has easy access to EPO - I cant provide the source as I read it early last year somewhere - and in the 70.3 Durban's lead up they confirmed testing to take place on age groupers (something that never happened)

Having said this I will also have a problem with races welcoming dopers into their races whilst still under their 2 year ban - or ex riders who failed to show remorse after being caught 

Maybe the question then is if Lance, Floyd and Tyler entered the Argus next year, would you allow anyone of them to race?  (Lets assume Lance did the time he was banned)