Dopers suck

fandacious

WADA has 100 'strong' Russian doping cases

More than 100 "strong cases'' of suspected Russian doping are being prepared using data retrieved from the Moscow testing laboratory.

World Anti-Doping Agency president Craig Reedie said Wednesday it is "packaging evidence'' for sports governing bodies to prosecute the highest priority cases.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/27058739/wada-100-strong-russian-doping-cases

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really cycling related. But what are hubs thoughts on doping in swimming? It seems that at every big  meet, be it World champs or Olympics, World Records are broken. Looking at the current list of world records there are 8 World records that were broken at the the most recent world champs.

Not really cycling related. But what are hubs thoughts on doping in swimming? It seems that at every big  meet, be it World champs or Olympics, World Records are broken. Looking at the current list of world records there are 8 World records that were broken at the the most recent world champs.

On paper, current athletes should generally be the best or on par with the best...

I'm not sure it's an obvious sign of doping. Of course they could, and many are quite possibly doping. Most sports anti-doping measures are pretty Mickey Mouse compared to cycling.

The big problem in many sports was in the past, where they had free reign and set records that 'clean' athletes will struggle to ever get near. Just scroll through the women athletics records and compare them to current times... not sure how you undo history though

Not really cycling related. But what are hubs thoughts on doping in swimming? It seems that at every big meet, be it World champs or Olympics, World Records are broken. Looking at the current list of world records there are 8 World records that were broken at the the most recent world champs.

As someone very close to that world, I would suggest that even over here, testing is not that great unless you are in the elite leagues, although there is a concerted effort to atleast make people aware of the dangers. Let's put it this way - Michael Phelps is an extreme physical specimen with some extraordinary physical gifts including a rare genetic predisposition to lactate tolerance and a torso that was extremely long relative to his legs (which is perfect for swimming) and a wo rk ethic second to none.

And his 200m fly record was smashed.

Edited by Thor Buttox

As someone very close to that world, I would suggest that even over here, testing is not that great unless you are in the elite leagues, although there is a concerted effort to atleast make people aware of the dangers. Let's put it this way - Michael Phelps is an extreme physical specimen with some extraordinary physical gifts including a rare genetic predisposition to lactate tolerance and a torso that was extremely long relative to his legs (which is perfect for swimming) and a wo rk ethic second to none.

And his 200m fly record was smashed.

It boggles the mind. Water as a medium requires exponential increases in power in order move through it faster. There is no technological hokus-pocus that you can introduce, I mean its a guy in a speedo. And yet these records continue to tumble.

Not really cycling related. But what are hubs thoughts on doping in swimming? It seems that at every big meet, be it World champs or Olympics, World Records are broken. Looking at the current list of world records there are 8 World records that were broken at the the most recent world champs.

I have been thinking the same thing for years.

In my mind doping is as prevalent in all sports as in cycling, although there is an argument that due to cycling rep which results in more stringent testing regimes, maybe there is less doping in cycling.

Also the prize money in most sports is better than in cycling, so even more incentive to dope.

• 1 month later...

I have said many times, I reckon 'doping' has taken on new forms. The elite doping is probably genetic altering and stem cell training etc. 

Gone are the days of steroids etc for those that do it 'properly'.

I know someone who swims in the 'masters' catagory. She goes to world champs etc and 'they all' use pig testicle hormones or something weird. She sees absolutely no issue in this as it's 'not illegal'.

I seriously don't think 'drugs' are being used that much in top level doping anymore. As science progresses so rapidly, so does the ability to keep ahead of what can be tested for or what they are able to even test for.

I have said many times, I reckon 'doping' has taken on new forms. The elite doping is probably genetic altering and stem cell training etc. 

Gone are the days of steroids etc for those that do it 'properly'.

I know someone who swims in the 'masters' catagory. She goes to world champs etc and 'they all' use pig testicle hormones or something weird. She sees absolutely no issue in this as it's 'not illegal'.

I seriously don't think 'drugs' are being used that much in top level doping anymore. As science progresses so rapidly, so does the ability to keep ahead of what can be tested for or what they are able to even test for.

Jeezus, the lengths some people will go to...

I have heard of the pig testicles stuff. It's called testis compositum. I think it is a homeopathic placebo treatment.

SAIDS website has a list of convicted dopers.    makes an interesting read,    http://www.drugfreesport.org.za/cases/

I saw the person on there caught for doping in bowls, had a quick laugh, then googled the things they were busted for. Turns out I am on one of those :eek:  :oops:  . Should I be worried doing my races (funrides)  :ph34r:?

I just hate seeing dopers on adverts for Mtb races and stage races. Puts me off riding them.

No one is sorry, they just bleak got caught.

Also dopers can be lekker people around the braai, people dont understand that

I saw the person on there caught for doping in bowls, had a quick laugh, then googled the things they were busted for. Turns out I am on one of those :eek:  :oops:  . Should I be worried doing my races (funrides)  :ph34r:?

I have been out of the loop...now I see why Shan Wilson has not been partnering with Andrew.