JUMA 2016

button

I am a convicted doper who has served my ban.

Am I allowed to enter ?

Yes - is your medical certificate in order?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shem. You must be married.

Shem. You must eat a lot of McDonald's.

hahahaaaaa...swings and roundabouts.

Ja, post race was awesome... a little too awesome actually. Mitchells is definitely not performance enhancing, I sukkeled to ride that 6kms back home  :blush:

Preach brother! I was wounded after sitting too close to those taps.  :w00t:

Preach brother! I was wounded after sitting too close to those taps.  :w00t:

Whahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

You almost missed a corner completely on the way home on the bicycle by going almost straight.

PS Folks, Ross thought he almost had his knee down  :lol:

Drunken bicycling isnt for sissies

I did the first one. If I hadn't done it before then i'd probably do it. But from experience.

Be careful when riding in the concrete storm water channels - That black moss is more slippery than ice and will put you on your ass very quickly. This is where most of the injuries occurred. I heard 19 hip replacements were done as a result of the last race.

Take enough hydration not to rely on water points - last time there weren't enough and some had run out very quickly - I would assume they got this covered this time round.

There are sections on the spruit where they used pallets - Don't trust them - after a few hundred riders have been over them they look okay but collapse or sink when you ride them. If it looks dodgy rather dismount.

On a section next to the M1 you ride in a concrete storm water canal, there are about 10 drop offs about 2 - 3 ft high, before each drop off there is a concrete trench (think they are sand traps) with pieces of board for you to ride over and then the drop off. Don't trust the boards, most of them have moved and will seesaw you ass over tit down the drop off.

Bottle necks will be a fact of life on this race. The further back you are the longer they will be. Use the time constructively - lots of hot chicks on MTB's looking to be chatted up, thats why they do this race !

Otherwise have a jol. 

I suspect the noobs that were there on year 1, won't be coming back. At least that is the hope.

Other than 1 or 2 bottlenecks in the beginning, I didn't have any problem with the issues most of the guys are complaining about.

There were "technical" elements to the ride, like the hidden or dark obstacles, but I thought that added to the day.

I seem to remember that there was way too much food & drink afterwards.... hic....

On a section next to the M1 you ride in a concrete storm water canal, there are about 10 drop offs about 2 - 3 ft high, before each drop off there is a concrete trench (think they are sand traps) with pieces of board for you to ride over and then the drop off. Don't trust the boards, most of them have moved and will seesaw you ass over tit down the drop off.

That was my favourite part of the whole race. Everyone was teetering down the ramps and I was flying past them manualling (okay manual might be a strong word but my weight was back at the right moment) of the lips. It was great practice for drop offs. easy takeoff smooth landing no one in your way. Just watch out for the black moss.

I did the first one. If I hadn't done it before then i'd probably do it. But from experience.

Be careful when riding in the concrete storm water channels - That black moss is more slippery than ice and will put you on your ass very quickly. This is where most of the injuries occurred. I heard 19 hip replacements were done as a result of the last race.

Take enough hydration not to rely on water points - last time there weren't enough and some had run out very quickly - I would assume they got this covered this time round.

There are sections on the spruit where they used pallets - Don't trust them - after a few hundred riders have been over them they look okay but collapse or sink when you ride them. If it looks dodgy rather dismount.

Bottle necks will be a fact of life on this race. The further back you are the longer they will be. Use the time constructively - lots of hot chicks on MTB's looking to be chatted up, thats why they do this race !

Otherwise have a jol. 

Its not that I can't ride dropoffs, but dropoffs on slick wet pallets with black moss either side doesn't seem that safe to me.

Just saying....

I am at the age that a hip replacement is kind of a life changing thing.

Always happens to someone else till you put a wheel on that black stuff.

FWIW- its been marketed everywhere so the event is now going to be better attended than ever.

Prize money is much bigger and (this is what irks me) its being billed as an adventure.

So everyone thinks no problems its just a quick ride down the spruit and some bridges over the roads.

Anyway - I have this sick feeling about it so I listen to my gut. I am out. I will not knock any further....

My Juma,

Luckily I got into one of the early batches so no bottlenecks.

There were a lot of mistakes made by the event organizers but they say they have learnt from them and seem to be making improvements. 

Yes - is your medical certificate in order?

Yes !

The last time I took medical advice the doctor told me my sore throat would be fine and I should just ride.

He was right, I was fine but it did not stop me from getting sick thereafter. :oops:

My Juma,

Luckily I got into one of the early batches so no bottlenecks.

There were a lot of mistakes made by the event organizers but they say they have learnt from them and seem to be making improvements. 

very cool clip .... and the whole JUMA only took you about 3+min :P

Yes !

The last time I took medical advice the doctor told me my sore throat would be fine and I should just ride.

He was right, I was fine but it did not stop me from getting sick thereafter. :oops:

would or should? :)

4 45?

JUMA guys just can't win it seems. Persistent rains the last 24 hours... Hope for their sake all structures remain in place, but they should have enough time to repair before the event.

Archived