Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! Those days when I was employed and could spend 7 hours on Bike Hub, Facebook, Pinterest and 1/2 an hour on work...

When I got to the new workshop it had this disgusting pine-and-masonite kitchen unit. The old army word "syph" was the perfect descriptor. Like many wordworkers (apologies to the exceptions!), I'm completely anal and OCD (ok, like cycling woodworkers then) and needed an upgrade asap. 

With the lease only being for 2 years, I wasn't going to do anything particularly major though. Plumbing and the rest had to stay as it is. 

*He then proceeds to start doing major things ...*

I had some leftover 18mm birch ply from the school library bookcase tree I posted on here about a year ago. With some jiggling of dimensions, it was just enough to make up the doors and countertop and other aesthetic bits.

My mate Juan gave me an old melamine wardrobe he'd demolished from someone's house, and that would do for the shelves and interior. 

I spent about R1000 on ten 3000 X 144 X 44 industrial pine to use for framework and other bits and pieces around the workshop. Twisted and warped as it usually is, there's ways of working around it. And I'm schnoep.

The cupboard had to be built around the sink and plumbing, as I was still using things on a daily basis.

It's sealed with Woodoc floor varnish, which actually works damn well and stands up to hot pots, boiling water and all the other troubles I throw at it. 

post-14151-0-97886400-1521568312_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-24160200-1521568326_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-40087800-1521568348_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-70408200-1521568359_thumb.jpg

More workshop messing about. I needed a cupboard of some sort; a dresser to make my sandwiches and lunch and stop bugs getting into the cornflakes.

(Actually,I was thinking about this the other day and realised that bun feet were an early form of insect deterrent. they can't climb around the acute angle.)

So this unit is again made up of bits and pieces of discarded crap. Some offcuts and old shelves of plain chipboard for the sides and shelves. Ripping up the industrial pine beams for the framework (a twisted 3000mm is usually perfectly usable in 600 - 1000mm lengths). A bit of meranti coverstrip for the shelf facings. Even the paint is leftovers from previous jobs that was drying out in the cans.

The top is saligna, and that I did pay for. I bought about 1/4 cube at the Rare Woods sale for R1200, then spent another R600  to have it thicknessed. Well, not much they could do: each piece is really rough or twisted or cupped and the machines were choking and binding. But! I have a trusty Triton and my straightening jig I posted a few pages back! Usable planks were ripped into 70mm widths then laminated. Hand-planed because the grain direction goes completely berserk all the time. Random-orbit sanded. Sealed with a daily soaking of raw linseed oil over 2 weeks, then Liberon wax. The top is also breadboarded at the ends.  

Now I can eat.

post-14151-0-05761400-1521570045_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-89303500-1521570060_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-55623900-1521570073_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-68242500-1521570089_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-73704500-1521570102_thumb.jpg

Turbo, please drop me your number - we need to talk business

PS is that a volksie wheel in the background of that one pic?

Nice work Turbo, very inspirational.

Just taken occupation of our new home, double garage needs to double up as my woodworking/motorcycle workshop.

Need to figure a way of isolating the woodworking as the dust gets everywhere no matter how much extraction I put in place. 

That along with a blank sheet so working on shelving layout as well as rafter storage to maximize the space available to me.

More workshop messing about. I needed a cupboard of some sort; a dresser to make my sandwiches and lunch and stop bugs getting into the cornflakes.

(Actually,I was thinking about this the other day and realised that bun feet were an early form of insect deterrent. they can't climb around the acute angle.)

So this unit is again made up of bits and pieces of discarded crap. Some offcuts and old shelves of plain chipboard for the sides and shelves. Ripping up the industrial pine beams for the framework (a twisted 3000mm is usually perfectly usable in 600 - 1000mm lengths). A bit of meranti coverstrip for the shelf facings. Even the paint is leftovers from previous jobs that was drying out in the cans.

The top is saligna, and that I did pay for. I bought about 1/4 cube at the Rare Woods sale for R1200, then spent another R600  to have it thicknessed. Well, not much they could do: each piece is really rough or twisted or cupped and the machines were choking and binding. But! I have a trusty Triton and my straightening jig I posted a few pages back! Usable planks were ripped into 70mm widths then laminated. Hand-planed because the grain direction goes completely berserk all the time. Random-orbit sanded. Sealed with a daily soaking of raw linseed oil over 2 weeks, then Liberon wax. The top is also breadboarded at the ends.  

Now I can eat.

Any math involved with working out the cut angles for that radius or was it trial and error??

btw It you want a hardy, forgiving bench or table top, laminate saligna is good solution, once can order it it just about any size and they look good. I normally finish with few coats of that Nova 17 Matt

What sort of costings are you looking at there?

Any math involved with working out the cut angles for that radius or was it trial and error??

I was getting all technical on myself, but  I'm the kind of guy who can add up a column three times and get three different answers. And that's with a calculator.

So I guesstimated it at around 10 to 15 degrees. Trial and error really. I'd cut one piece with angles on each end, then one with flat ends, then another angled, and so on. Guessing length too, by positioning them and then mark the cut line a little beyond where it touched the curve. 

If any of that makes the slightest sense!  :blink:

At the end, I trimmed the excess with a chisel, used a file to round it all and get a decent curve, and then a light hand sanding. A bit of filler where necessary.

Just taken occupation of our new home, double garage needs to double up as my woodworking/motorcycle workshop.

Need to figure a way of isolating the woodworking as the dust gets everywhere no matter how much extraction I put in place. 

That along with a blank sheet so working on shelving layout as well as rafter storage to maximize the space available to me.

I am about to follow in your footsteps... We take occupation on the 3rd April. My workshop/garage space has been halved.... I am trying to figure out where to put everything with the most efficient use of space. After much deliberation it has been decided that the cars will get a new home under a carport that will be erected, and all tools and equipment along with motorbikes, bicycles and storage will be assigned to the garage toy shop.

Thank goodness for CAD... Been playing around with layouts but at the end of the day I think I am going to have to just sit and look for a bit and then decide!

What sort of costings are you looking at there?

Its been a while,  but wasn't unreasonable if that is any help :o

you are right about the dust getting into everything...even if you do the wood work outside,,,it still seems to get on everything inside the workshop...all my machine stay in their boxes in closed cupboards and the ones which stay out...get covered with sheets. 

all my hand tools hang in 100 mm deep cupboards which can close and lock.

another issue...metal table tops...like the band saw...jointer...etc...they seem to rust real quick...i use floor polish to keep them smooth and rust free (tried car polish...doesnt seem to work as well)...it is a weekly chore ( if anyone has a better option...please share) if you dont keep up the maintenance the surfaces start to pit and then you have to literally machine the tops flat again.

I am about to follow in your footsteps... We take occupation on the 3rd April. My workshop/garage space has been halved.... I am trying to figure out where to put everything with the most efficient use of space. After much deliberation it has been decided that the cars will get a new home under a carport that will be erected, and all tools and equipment along with motorbikes, bicycles and storage will be assigned to the garage toy shop.

Thank goodness for CAD... Been playing around with layouts but at the end of the day I think I am going to have to just sit and look for a bit and then decide!

Same here, never had a car in a garage before, always been my workshop/man cave area. Also doing carports but now the complex needs plans and municipal approval believe it or not!!!!

Dont go on youtube, I lost 2 whole productive hours yesterday looking at DIY attic ladders to get to the rafters. Storage up there is the key to unlocking floor space I reckon!!!1

3rd of April we take delivery of a baby, my first so looking forward to it.......

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)