Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

yes the planks are meranti. they are a grey colour and Mrs Slowbee does not like it.

So for the moment I am tending towards an oak stain with the woodoc.

Getting the wood planed is going to be cheaper than replacing the deck with any other timber, including the specail from ST on pine planks.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See if you can find someone with an industrial sander instead of planing.

If you had a large electric belt sander like a Makita or Bosch you could do it yourself fairly quickly esp if you use a blue belt.

See if you can find someone with an industrial sander instead of planing.

If you had a large electric belt sander like a Makita or Bosch you could do it yourself fairly quickly esp if you use a blue belt.

easy to hire one for a weekend

yes the planks are meranti. they are a grey colour and Mrs Slowbee does not like it.

Getting the wood planed is going to be cheaper than replacing the deck with any other timber, including the specail from ST on pine planks.

I’d advise against pine on an outside deck...

Slowbee,

I put my deck in in 2002. Used treated pine planking. Was open - built around a tree until storm blew the tree down in 2015. I then had a roof put over it. Did it in 2002 with a product called Silkwood M7 Decking Brown. Re-did it once since. Will again re-do now in winter.

post-57300-0-07163500-1524311369_thumb.jpg

post-57300-0-55494200-1524311381_thumb.jpg

post-57300-0-06411600-1524311399_thumb.jpg

I’d advise against pine on an outside deck...

I would advise against pine for anything outside!

I still think the idea of getting them planed will have the best end results. Will be nice and uniform thickeness at the same time. Meranti is an outdoor timber so Im sure it wouldnt be too hard to breathe some life back into them.

why the recommendation of linseed? and of course would you do this on newly planed wood?

Cheap and easy - basically old fashioned varnish.

Run a broom with it over every month and you will never need to refinish it again.

My old mans jetty is done this way.and the wood is over 20 years old... full sun rain and salt water...

Slowbee, if there wasn't a drought on, I'd recommend washing your deck with a high pressure cleaner rather than sanding. I'm also more in favour of the raw linseed oil & genuine turps mix than I am of other products. First, it'll return the colour to the wood and, of course, it repels water. I keep a cheap, big brush just for my oiling. If, at any future time, you want to varnish or add preservative, the oil/turps mix isn't a problem. Despite the lovely rain tonight, I think you could go right ahead and do it asap. The water will evaporate away but the oil will penetrate. The two are mutually exclusive.

The screws are a problem. You need to see whether the supporting structure is rotting, because that's probably why they're pulling out. Again, the oil/turps mix does wonders and you can add wood preservative without a problem.

How to fix the rotted bits? If the damage isn't too deep, drill the area out. You can use a plug-cutter and drill press to cut appropriately sized plugs, or glue dowels (though you're going into end grain, which isn't ideal). I've used rawl plugs in wood before too. You can fill it with Pratley's epoxy putty, or a product you may have to search for a bit called Screwplug. All of those will hold. 

On the oil-based vs water-based question: I find the water-based products seem to form a skin that's somehow different to oil-based paints. That skin tends to trap water, and sets up a kind of greenhouse effect that seems to promote wood rot. I've done a few window and shutter repairs where - especially with acrylic paint - the wood has gone south very quickly, though it previously lasted over 100 years with old-fashioned enamels. Just my 2 cents worth!

I have this strange inner something-or-other to make things differently to the way they're usually done. Rebelliousness or curiosity, I can't tell which. So I've been making a chair ... well, you'll see that later. But one of the interesting parts was working out this joint, and then cutting it (which entailed much swearing and self-insulting).

post-14151-0-99619400-1524513285_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-63022900-1524513297_thumb.jpg

This is actually a leg joint, where I tried to keep as much mortise-and-tenon strength as I could, while giving a continuous line around the outside edge. There was some nice flecking in the beech that I wanted to run across the upper front of the chair and down both front legs, without end grain getting in the way.  

It's also glued with old-fashioned hot animal glue. Boiled hooves and skin and bones. Why? Well, if things go wrong, it's possible to steam the joint open again. In future, the chair could be restored if it needs to be. And the hot glue is the only one that actually sticks to itself, where modern glues need to be cleaned out thoroughly and then re-done.

PS: the animal glue doesn't smell as bad as it's made out to be.

post-14151-0-88882700-1524513633_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-39798800-1524513910_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-52607600-1524513927_thumb.jpg

I have this strange inner something-or-other to make things differently to the way they're usually done. Rebelliousness or curiosity, I can't tell which. So I've been making a chair ... well, you'll see that later. But one of the interesting parts was working out this joint, and then cutting it (which entailed much swearing and self-insulting).

Poetry. Respect!  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

The completed chair. I don't know that it's that good as a chair ... more the dainty vicar's tea party don't-move-too-much-type. But it was interesting as design and woodworking exercise.

It is a sculpture of woodworking :thumbup:

cb89c1d93160c7b54a9f0a1975541435.jpg

Sanding this top today made me think of shaping surfboards, which in turn made me think of Tumbles...

So finally I can show the fruits of Stretched@Birth's labour [emoji41]

So the story goes that about 25 years ago when we moved into our current home we had no dining room suite, my father-in-law had a pensioner mate that we were told was a carpenter and wanted to make us one as a house warming gift. We were pretty chuffed and so awaited it with baited breath ....

Finally it arrived, well let's just say 'carpenter' had been used pretty loosely as it was not the finest bit of woodwork you had ever seen but it was made with a good heart and so took its place in the dining room. My wife had always vowed, in the nicest possible way [emoji6], that the day he passed on she was going to replace it.

Well that never happened, he did sadly pass on a few years later and the suite stayed in situ for way longer.

In the last 9 months or so that I have been retired we have been slowly going from room to room and painting/renovating/replacing things partially because it was needed and also to keep busy. And so it came to pass it was the dining room's turn ...

Looked around but my wife couldn't see anything she really liked, at a point we had one of the many family meals around the old table that the subject came up and the kids and others were horrified that we were going to get rid of 'Uncle Bob's table's. So many things have happened around this table, tears of joy (pregnancies, engagement announced, weddings and other occasions planned, celebratory meals for birthdays and anniversaries etc.), tears of sadness as well (the less said about those the better). Can't you just give it the infamous 'lick' of varnish ... But no my wife was adamant she wanted something 'different' updated.

Eventually I came up with a plan, how about 'we' update the one we have so the base is still there to keep the kids and others happy but it looks 'newer'. And so the following happened ...

Uncle Bob's original suite with the slats and light wood and our new updated version in the dark wood. Nothing fancy but everyone is happy and that top S@B made us is an absolute thing of beauty! So so smooth and neat, wow is all we can say, thanks again Mike [emoji41]

Took way longer than anticipated but well worth the effort.

9159a34e742ea341e66a41cc85335343.jpgbf7207a57bc5ed9865ba79538caf4a2c.jpg467513cb12917e8b9e0bcad33c5ded0d.jpgbc04412af4d8aed19dfcf629d759fe6b.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

The completed chair. I don't know that it's that good as a chair ... more the dainty vicar's tea party don't-move-too-much-type. But it was interesting as design and woodworking exercise.

This chair screams "Ill Prod you with broken bits if you sit on me fat ass!" 

My 120kg frame makes me wary of anything even remotely "delicate" 

Edited by Amberdrake

So back to my Guitars

I finished one off last year.. but was never happy, looked good in photos, but never did like the finish.

so using the same design... and the same stain's... mostly I have sanded down .. stained and resealed to something I'm very much more happy with

The Old Look

post-12682-0-23761500-1524556657_thumb.png

getting ready

post-12682-0-00545300-1524557136_thumb.png

the new finished look.

stained, silver-leafed and sealed

post-12682-0-94206700-1524557108_thumb.jpg