Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Love that, isetech. Lekker burnt detail on the legs. You should get enough for an edge 25 from that.

I agree. Even maybe 2 edges for that!!

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure it i should matt or gloss finish it.

I really enjoy making these unique coffee tables..i think i am going to start making more of them and selling them...every single one will be different...as built

Edited by isetech

Coffee table - definitely gloss, IMO. Unless you've got a darn near impervious solution for matt... Matt also needs more maintenance than gloss. 

Plus, I reckon with a semi-gloss finish that wood will pop... brilliant contrasting wood there. 

Wife wanted a bread/cheese board with a handle...because apparently that is the in thing at the moment...so a bit of glue...then off to the bandsaw and out with the router...then through the planer thicknesser and walla saved myself around 300 bucks 6b28f811430dfe1a23fc7feb8e3d0a99.jpg

The other bread boards looked a bit cut up...so off to the planer/thicknesser again and a quick sand...bingo...like brand new...and u cut a handle into another one [emoji3] happy wife...xxx

.84b7e15f67b6f8e121d19eaf9ba8c29a.jpg

Super tempting ... would be enough for a 10 seater tabletop. Do you have a price in mind?

TBH I don't know what a market related price would be, but I'm open to a fair Hub offer.

Let me post some pics on the weekend first so you can see them.

The table would be flippen heavy !!

I used a satin finish on my recent dining table. I was told it was the varnish of choice for pub / bar counter tops so hopefully its durable.

so driving to work this morning i passed a chopped down tree, its pretty small, the trunk of the tree is about 2m long and only about a foot in diameter. Now my question which proves how little i know, can one use trees like this and how does one go about planking them? If doable i would like to use this to make a garden table out of. Is there a special curing process required?

Guest notmyname

so driving to work this morning i passed a chopped down tree, its pretty small, the trunk of the tree is about 2m long and only about a foot in diameter. Now my question which proves how little i know, can one use trees like this and how does one go about planking them? If doable i would like to use this to make a garden table out of. Is there a special curing process required?

Species?

TBH I don't know what a market related price would be, but I'm open to a fair Hub offer.

The price for African rosewood, at the moment is R13 750.00 per cubic metre. I got this from Primewood in Kroonstad. They are importers of African timber. If my maths did not fail me you have 0.25 cubes, that equates to about R3 440.00.

On a very basic level: 300mm trunk cut lengthwise at, no thinner than 35mm thickness will yield about 5 x 35mm usuable sections.

Airdrying of the slabs should be sufficient and you could be using it by December or earlier. Species will play a huge part in how quick it dries and very important to make sure your drying stack is properly spaced and weighted if needed.

I may not be clever by I can to lift heavy fings

Market price +\- R18000 per cubic meter at the moment, depending on plank size and thickness. How that equates to Hub pricing I'm not sure [emoji12]

Edit: I see Sniffie beat me to it, that price of R13250 is good, as I say, depends too on plank size.

Edited by Stretched@Birth