Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Just a little weekend job.

French Oak with Woodoc 10.

Mortice and loose tenon joints.

Looks good.

Would be interesting if you make those again to try and get away with true mitre corner and book match the grain so that the sides run up over over the top and done the other side again?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good.

Would be interesting if you make those again to try and get away with true mitre corner and book match the grain so that the sides run up over over the top and done the other side again?

That was my idea initially as I can miter and still use loose tenons but the two bankies go next to each other for use with a table so I chose to cut the tops from one plank so the one runs into the other and looks like one plank. As they are pictured one does not notice that.

got any more? I can think of a few ideas for one

It's actually someone who lives close by and we loaded rubble and she asked if I could load it for her and take it to the dumpsite and I decided to keep it. Sorry man.

Ok so not woodwork related but the wealth of knowledge here with regards to sealing should be able to sort this one...

I am looking for a product called Elkay Maxiseal VH72 it is a natural stone sealer that is hydrophobic an repels just about anything. We have fired granite counter tops in the kitchen ad they are proving a real beaaatch to keep clean... It is a Turkish product and I haven't seen it available commercially. I have spoke to a guy but wanted to seek alternative suppliers as well.

ELKAY-MAXISEAL-VH72-Natural-Stone-Protec

TGIF, lads! (And ladies)

Just finished this little experiment. I seem to have gone from a sidetable phase into a chair phase.

In fact, the seat here was going to be the top of a sidetable. 

It's hickory for the seat, wenge for the frame, and ash for the backrest and other bits.

She's called "Ladies and gentlemen, Miss Grace Jones". I guess it's the angularity that put me in mind of Grace, Talking Heads' suits, Dynasty shoulderpads and other stuff 80s. There's maybe hints of that most short-lived of design trends, Memphis style.

From a joinery perspective, it's mostly mortise-and-tenon. The only vaguely interesting joint is the sliding dovetail I cut for the backrest. The two supports drop in, slide to either side, and then the whole is glued to the upright. I didn't want screws or dowels there. 

post-14151-0-12701100-1537509906_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-60648300-1537509931_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-96045100-1537509951_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-20205200-1537509978_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-97302600-1537510006_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-79858100-1537510028_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-98860100-1537510046_thumb.jpg

TGIF, lads! (And ladies)

Just finished this little experiment. I seem to have gone from a sidetable phase into a chair phase.

In fact, the seat here was going to be the top of a sidetable. 

It's hickory for the seat, wenge for the frame, and ash for the backrest and other bits.

She's called "Ladies and gentlemen, Miss Grace Jones". I guess it's the angularity that put me in mind of Grace, Talking Heads' suits, Dynasty shoulderpads and other stuff 80s. There's maybe hints of that most short-lived of design trends, Memphis style.

From a joinery perspective, it's mostly mortise-and-tenon. The only vaguely interesting joint is the sliding dovetail I cut for the backrest. The two supports drop in, slide to either side, and then the whole is glued to the upright. I didn't want screws or dowels there. 

How do you find working with wenge? Splinter much?

How do you find working with wenge? Splinter much?

Pretty horrid really, Stefmeister. It does splinter easily, the dust is really sticky and gets all over the place, it smells like your clothes after standing right next to the braai all night, and it's as hard as hell with hand tools. Lots of resharpening necessary. 

Ok so not woodwork related but the wealth of knowledge here with regards to sealing should be able to sort this one...

I am looking for a product called Elkay Maxiseal VH72 it is a natural stone sealer that is hydrophobic an repels just about anything. We have fired granite counter tops in the kitchen ad they are proving a real beaaatch to keep clean... It is a Turkish product and I haven't seen it available commercially. I have spoke to a guy but wanted to seek alternative suppliers as well.

ELKAY-MAXISEAL-VH72-Natural-Stone-Protec

Have you considered this?

http://www.pctwaterrepellent.co.za/p/268974/pct-56-water-repellent-

It was originally developed for the mining industry from what I understand and its pretty amazing stuff. I have treated quite a few different surfaces with it over the years and it does a great job.