Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Instead of using two side carpet tape i tried some duct tape...cut the sand paper to the correct width...stuck the duct tape to the inside of the sand paper and walla ...it worked and i made a long roll and cut it into shorter pieces (did try it...but not sure if it is going to last might put a cable tie at the top)...just collected 300 mm wide x 10 m  of sandpaper from magnet for the drum sander (cheapest place for  klingspor in kzn) so i have a pile of off cuts. 

Anyone know where i can get the tape they use on those spindal sander sleeves ?

A word of warning....if you do try the duct tape method...make sure you secure the top with a cable tie of a thin strip of duct tape at the top of the sleeve...eeeesih otherwise if you slide the wood up and it hooks the top of the sleeve...boooom there goes your sleeve.

Edited by eccc whippet

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. So here's what I did - as far as I can remember....

Simply gave the bar that raises the half nut a 90° twist about 50mm from the end, then bent the last 30mm 90° to the right (looking from the front) then welded a hefty piece of 5x50 flat bar to that bent piece and that's it!

It was one of those frustrated moments when you just quickly try something not really expecting it to work and then it worked so well you don't ever give it a second thought!

With that heavy piece of steel hanging on the end of the bar it provides plenty of torque keeping the half nut firmly pushed up against the bolt/ screw part.

With that heavy piece of steel hanging on the end of the bar it provides plenty of torque keeping the half nut firmly pushed up against the bolt/ screw part.

Well done!!!  Such simplicity and such an effective solution! 

Rocket-Boy - maybe this can work for your cheap Chinese one as well?

Eish Rocket-Boy - sorry to hear that it is causing you so much frustration!

I had a look at my Record vice last night (the one that that does work :D - I bought it second hand off Gumtree).  The thread is definitely not close to anything I have seen yet.  Some comments copied from a Woodcraft review of an Eclipse clamp that is the same design as the Record design:  "It was nice to see that a true buttress thread was used on the screw as on the Record vises instead of an Acme thread."

At least I found a website selling Record vice spares:

http://www.knighton-tools.co.uk/acatalog/Record_vice_spares.html

But for alternative options:

I watched a few video's last night:  one guy just cleaned his vice's threads and half-nut after c 5 years of use and it worked perfectly again. 

The other guy built a bracket to fix the half nut in the "engaged" position - i.e. he converted it to a normal vice.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Converting-a-Quick-Release-Vice-Into-a-Regular-Vic/

And the last guy just made a bracket to keep the quick release handle fixed in the "engaged" position.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Wood-vice-quick-release-fix/

Or just buy a new Record vice:  Ouch!

https://za.rs-online.com/

Ouch that record one sure is pricey!!

Well done!!!  Such simplicity and such an effective solution! 

Rocket-Boy - maybe this can work for your cheap Chinese one as well?

I dont have welding supplies but I have a mate that might be able to help out. Its a mart idea because it should keep the tension on the half nut.

Thanks Jimmy, clever trick that.

I dont have welding supplies but I have a mate that might be able to help out. Its a mart idea because it should keep the tension on the half nut.

Thanks Jimmy, clever trick that.

Thanks, another idea, if you don't have welding kit, is to make the bent part a bit longer and then drill and bolt the 2 pieces together with 2 bolts to make sure the steel add-on stays securely attached.

Ha! so the whole wife shouting at me to clean my workbench all of a sudden made sense on Friday evening.

I had been away on work travel for most of the week and something was waiting on my bench for me when I arrived home...

Very quietly my wife had been chatting with mr Carrera4s during the week and that was the motivation for getting the workbench cleaned up.

Turns out that he had decided the prize he so rightly won in the tools4wood competition would be better suited to my use and he had arranged with my wife and sent it to me!!

I really battled with the idea at first because it was an expensive prize and the idea of accepting it was difficult.

I had a chat with Carrera and he explained his reasoning behind it. What an absolute gentlemen and such a heartwarming gesture.

Im still toying with the idea of permanently mounting it to my bench now, having a front vise seems so much more practical than the side one. I think Im going to use it for a while to figure out where the best position is for it.

I battled a bit at first with the idea of closing the vise, I was so used to it slipping at a point that I instinctively stopped turning the handle, thankfully it clamps really tight and is an absolute pleasure to work on. The bench dogs on it work really well too and it make it very practical to use.

post-4822-0-35714700-1552147059_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-37068100-1552147080_thumb.jpg

Thank you again Carrera!

You're most welcome, Rocket-Boy. I hope it will bring you years of joy.

That is most definitely will!!