Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather just mount a decent circular saw to a board before I buy that.

Nein. It may need a bit more reinforcement if you're gonna be using it every day, but it looks a lot better than the Ryobi shaite that gets hammered as soon as you turn it on. 

Also - mounting circular saw onto a board isn't as simple as it seems. If you want mitre, depth adjustment & moving fences it's immediately more complicated and long winded. You CAN make a good table, but it's not ideal. We (my dad and I) did this a few times over the years, and as soon as he got his TRITON saw bench he kicked himself for not having done it earlier. 

Now, I've got a SHOPSMITH workcentre waiting for me in Durban. As well as the Triton. 2 circular saws here in CT, a bosch 6 1/4 and a Makita 6906 (i believe) 12 inch job. 

My parents are moving to a retirement village and have a few nice Oregon Pine and Satinwood furniture pieces which need new homes

Apart from the obvious Facebook marketplace and Gumtree are their any other avenues where I can advertise restored Furniture?

Nein. It may need a bit more reinforcement if you're gonna be using it every day, but it looks a lot better than the Ryobi shaite that gets hammered as soon as you turn it on. 

Also - mounting circular saw onto a board isn't as simple as it seems. If you want mitre, depth adjustment & moving fences it's immediately more complicated and long winded. You CAN make a good table, but it's not ideal. We (my dad and I) did this a few times over the years, and as soon as he got his TRITON saw bench he kicked himself for not having done it earlier. 

Now, I've got a SHOPSMITH workcentre waiting for me in Durban. As well as the Triton. 2 circular saws here in CT, a bosch 6 1/4 and a Makita 6906 (i believe) 12 inch job. 

There are some very clever designs on youtube for inspiration that can offer the same ease of use as normal table saw. With diy, you can always over-engineer it. It all just depends on your level of commitment and skill with limited tools. The benefit with that is it can double up as a work bench if space is a limiting factor.

With these cheap and nasty tools/machinery you are very often stuck with a cheap product - being unable to set up the mitre rails parallel to the blade, and wonky fences etc. Not to mention run-out on arbors and overall cheap build quality.  Those 1800w motors bog down like a boat anchor at the first sight of any hardwood plank.

Alternatively, look on gumtree for an old tablesaw, like a rockwell delta - could be had for around R5k or less if you can drive a hard bargain.  

Edited by stefmeister

There are some very clever designs on youtube for inspiration that can offer the same ease of use as normal table saw. With diy, you can always over-engineer it. It all just depends on your level of commitment and skill with limited tools. The benefit with that is it can double up as a work bench if space is a limiting factor.

With these cheap and nasty tools/machinery you are very often stuck with a cheap product - being unable to set up the mitre rails parallel to the blade, and wonky fences etc. Not to mention run-out on arbors and overall cheap build quality.  Those 1800w motors bog down like a boat anchor at the first sight of any hardwood plank.

Alternatively, look on gumtree for an old tablesaw, like a rockwell delta - could be had for around R5k or less if you can drive a hard bargain.  

Yeah, I know the possibility of getting something epic is strong, but the kinda guy who's looking for a table in that range isn't necessarily going to make an epic table (or even one that's better than the standard one!)

Fully agree with you on the 2nd hand option though. My Ryobi table (which I eventually just threw out) took a long time to get to know and adjust properly. YOu could do it, but oh my goodness. It just wasn't worth it. This looks to be better in a number of areas, and of better construction, too. 

For use as a daily table? Not a chance in hell. Occasional hobbyist use, yeah, why not. 

Yeah, I know the possibility of getting something epic is strong, but the kinda guy who's looking for a table in that range isn't necessarily going to make an epic table (or even one that's better than the standard one!)

Fully agree with you on the 2nd hand option though. My Ryobi table (which I eventually just threw out) took a long time to get to know and adjust properly. YOu could do it, but oh my goodness. It just wasn't worth it. This looks to be better in a number of areas, and of better construction, too. 

For use as a daily table? Not a chance in hell. Occasional hobbyist use, yeah, why not. 

Having built my own table saw, I would rather save and buy.

You need to buy proper T-tracks for 1 otherwise adjustment is a ball ache.

I am battling with flex in the blade though, especially on longer cuts.

It was always going to be a compromise but if I were to be doing more than the odd cut then a proper table saw would be way better.

My parents are moving to a retirement village and have a few nice Oregon Pine and Satinwood furniture pieces which need new homes

Apart from the obvious Facebook marketplace and Gumtree are their any other avenues where I can advertise restored Furniture?

Antique shops / dealers maybe.

I find resale on furniture is terrible though.

You will not get what it is worth unfortunately. Also the older real wood furntiure is really sought after with most millenials.......

I often see great old pieces of furniture for sale for far less than the value of the wood you'd have to buy to make it. 

I find resale on furniture is terrible though.

You will not get what it is worth unfortunately. Also the older real wood furntiure is really sought after with most millenials.......

Hell I'll gladly give them away if I knew they were going to a decent home.  The desk of my Moms I remember from when I was probably 3 or 4 years old - she used it for sewing- and I reckon it belonged to her mom before that.

Hell I'll gladly give them away if I knew they were going to a decent home.  The desk of my Moms I remember from when I was probably 3 or 4 years old - she used it for sewing- and I reckon it belonged to her mom before that.

Its such a pity, these items are becoming so rare. People chop them up, whitewash them and basically destroy some proper craftsmanship.

Sad really.........

There is an antique furniture store in Moreleta, where the checkers is. Bargain Hunters I think, they seem well stocked and have nice items. Try them.

Yup, a bit of work and being careful you can get good results out of a crappy saw.

That one is better than the one I have and I done segmented turnings on mine with no gaps, which is about as precision a job as you can ask from a table saw.

Yup, a bit of work and being careful you can get good results out of a crappy saw.

That one is better than the one I have and I done segmented turnings on mine with no gaps, which is about as precision a job as you can ask from a table saw.

I find that so long as you support the table saw fence properly or make a decent cross cut sled ...you can improve the cut...i use a makita contractor table saw...the fence is a piece of cr@p. 

The power saw motor will determine the rate at which you push the material...otherwise it is down to the type of blade and how well you maintain it.

secure the saw to a solid heavy base and you are sorted.