Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Over the last few days I restored my grandpa's No 7 Stanley plane.  We are 4 cousins that has his names, but I am the only one that does any woodworking.  He was a carpenter and when I was in primary school, they stayed with us for c 2 years - he then taught me a few skills.  I inherited a No7, No5, No78 and router plane, two saws, a "ratchet" screw driver, lots of hand brace drill bits and his tool chest.  Some of these will also still be restored.

Restoring this plane was very rewarding - I was constantly thinking of him.

PS:  @Rocket Boy - thanks for all the tips and advice!

post-50518-0-61627300-1556617360_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-52751000-1556617379_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-15416600-1556617391_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-92918400-1556617401_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-58524000-1556617413_thumb.jpg

Edited by carrera4s

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello woodworking wizards.

Is there anyone who'd be able to assist with the making of a bowl for me? It needs to look something like the below, dims still to be finalised, but it doesn't need to be out of any fancy timber as it will get covered in any case.

tknBOmK.jpg

s0zjXq7.jpg

n4uCoCq.jpg

Shotalot!

Hello woodworking wizards.

Is there anyone who'd be able to assist with the making of a bowl for me? It needs to look something like the below, dims still to be finalised, but it doesn't need to be out of any fancy timber as it will get covered in any case.

tknBOmK.jpg

s0zjXq7.jpg

n4uCoCq.jpg

Shotalot!

Sketchup for the win!

If someone can make this for you and they need a DWG/DXF file to run on a CNC machine or something like that then I can convert the model for you ... just drop me a PM if needed.

Sketchup for the win!

If someone can make this for you and they need a DWG/DXF file to run on a CNC machine or something like that then I can convert the model for you ... just drop me a PM if needed.

Off topic but our company has seen the benefits to sketchup!!!

Amazing how it helps seal a deal when you can show somebody what you are offering.........

for quick modeling it is really great!

what do you guys do Steven?

Off topic but our company has seen the benefits to sketchup!!!

Amazing how it helps seal a deal when you can show somebody what you are offering.........

Over the last few days I restored my grandpa's No 7 Stanley plane.  We are 4 cousins that has his names, but I am the only one that does any woodworking.  He was a carpenter and when I was in primary school, they stayed with us for c 2 years - he then taught me a few skills.  I inherited a No7, No5, No78 and router plane, two saws, a "ratchet" screw driver, lots of hand brace drill bits and his tool chest.  Some of these will also still be restored.

Restoring this plane was very rewarding - I was constantly thinking of him.

PS:  @Rocket Boy - thanks for all the tips and advice!

attachicon.gifNo 7 Skaaf 1 Small.jpg

attachicon.gifNo 7 Skaaf 3 Small.jpg

attachicon.gifNo 7 Skaaf 4 Small.jpg

attachicon.gifNo 7 Skaaf 5 Small.jpg

attachicon.gifNo 7 Skaaf 6 Small.jpg

That no7 looks absolutely gorgeous! there is something about the bigger planes when they are restored looking like a tool for serious business.

You did a great job with it, well done!!

Makes sense then to use SketchUp.

We often use it for both Architectural Conceptual design, and joinery or furniture sketch designs.

Sketchup drives me a little insane, edges never seem to want to snap together on components etc etc.

I do use it though to draw up all components then lay them out on a virtual plywood sheet to get the best cutlines and figure out how much I need for a project.

Sketchup drives me a little insane, edges never seem to want to snap together on components etc etc.

I do use it though to draw up all components then lay them out on a virtual plywood sheet to get the best cutlines and figure out how much I need for a project.

Pull ducting using the follow me tool, that's pure frustration!!!!

Anyone use Fusion360?

I really wanted to, but my ADSL speed is way to low for it to work, so had to uninstall.

I see it is widely used by the likes of Diresta and other makers. On the upside, fibre is being installed in my street, so will give it a try again.

Have you been using it? Is it as good as the internet says it is?

I really wanted to, but my ADSL speed is way to low for it to work, so had to uninstall.

I see it is widely used by the likes of Diresta and other makers. On the upside, fibre is being installed in my street, so will give it a try again.

Have you been using it? Is it as good as the internet says it is?

I have used TurboCad for many years and my computer crashed and I lost it and not able to re-install . Want to now use Fusion360 but at my age the learning curve is quite steep and it works completely different to normal cad programs so it's learning new and unlearning the old.

Fusion360 has many advantages though.

Not sure if it has been covered. Need a table saw. Problem is budget, so looking more at cheaper ones as per pic or something similar. Reviews not so great on the Makita. Any recommendations welcome

post-26136-0-49949400-1557215064_thumb.jpeg

I have used TurboCad for many years and my computer crashed and I lost it and not able to re-install . Want to now use Fusion360 but at my age the learning curve is quite steep and it works completely different to normal cad programs so it's learning new and unlearning the old.

Fusion360 has many advantages though.

Its big with the new skool CNC and 3D printing bunch